Blocked exhaust?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

busdriver

Club Guest
Hi all,Experienced this problem yest morning while on my way to work..during acceleration the car feels heavy and deprived of power...the car does not go above 80kmh even if i floor the pedal...the rpm stays between 2~3000rpm...and the car sounds like extraa muffled(which was weird)...sent to a mechanic and he checked the filter, AFM and according to him no prob...however what we found out was that during idle the rpm is ok but when we floor the pedal,the rpm does not go above 2500rpm....with the muffled sound,he suspects that the exhaust is blocked sumwhere....he says that he needs to open up the exhaust to confirm it...gonna send the car over on monday...anyone had this prob before?....BTW, i'm driving a 318(A) 1997...and when i bought the car, there was this rattling sound which the mechanic says is coming from the back box (is it the muffler?)...however the sound mysteriously vanished like nearly 1 week ago and now this prob...could they be connected?....appreciate ur help...thx...

Hi all,

Just a little update..the mechanic took out the exhaust but it seems the problem is still there...he said he took out and cleaned the fuel filter...the car was normal after that and drove it around but thn a while later the problem came back again...any idea wats wrong bros...?thx...

thx bro kevin..just got a 2nd opinion from my usual mechanic...he says that its definitely a blocked exhaust...could hear rattling sound from under the car...he says that most prob the cat converter is blocked..have to go see exhaust man now...

case closed...went ahead with cutting out the cat converter...now the car is back to normal...so it was because of the blocked exhaust...

Top Bottom