BILSTEIN SHOCK

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Donald

Club Guest
Any sifu know what is the different of the Bilstein Shock, I saw from the web site there is 2 types of sport shock. (Yellow Colour) - BMW 3 Series HD Shock - BMW 3 Series Sport ShockJust curious what is the different between the two?

hi donald, give u a hint...
look for "search this forum" and type "absorber"... cerita lama :D

hi donald....

if you want to know the difference, you can come to out TTs or HHs and they'll tell you all about it... perhaps you can even have a feel in their rides which some may have done.....

i reckon that'll be better....

cheers,
andrew_e30

Originally posted by Donald@Nov 1 2005, 09:01 PM
Any sifu know what is the different of the Bilstein Shock, I saw from the web site there is 2 types of sport shock. (Yellow Colour)

- BMW 3 Series HD Shock
- BMW 3 Series Sport Shock

Just curious what is the different between the two?
There has been a lot of discussion on this before and I am still confused myself but here goes anyway..... I know some of you here will disagree :) :

You wont hear people talking as much about this issue in the UK/Europe, but you do see a lot of discxussion on this topic in the US.

In UK/Europe I think people just refer to the yellow bilsteins as being Sports shocks. This general reference is used commonly unless specifc refernce is made to a particular Bilstein kit e.g. the PSS or PSS9 which are coil-overs.

There are however adverts in UK mags which talk about the Bilstein 'sprintline' set and Bilstein 'sportline' set. Both are described as matched spring and shock sets.What separates them is that the 'sportlines' comes with shorter shocks (and presumebly shorter springs).

I have seen discussions in US forums which say that - the 'HDs' are essentially Bilstein yellows that have a standard 'body' length (like stock) and therefore can be matched with standard springs. They can aslo be matched with uprated springs which do not lower the car too aggresively e.g. the Eibach pro-kits (which incidentally are designed to go with stock shocks if so chosen).

The 'sports' in the meantime have a shorter 'body' length and are therefore better matched with aggressive springs (I saw a figure of a lowering of >1.5in quoted but I am sure this is just guesswork and a matter of preference). The shorter body of the shocks make it a better match with the shorter springs.

The commonality they have however is the fact that the shock valving for both the HD (yellow) and sport (yellow) are actually the same (not my words ok.... some dude in some US forum actually asked a rep from Bilstein USA or something....). As to which is better....I dont know....its one of those debates you see :)

To confuse matters, if you actually visit the Bilstein website you will not see a porduct called HDs etc. Instead you will see a range of prducts, some familiar and some not e.g. the blacks (which are gas OE replacement), B6, B12 PSS, PSS9 etc. I have a feeling that the base range of Bilstein (yellow) sport shocks could be the HDs people are referring to.... but thats just me guessing ...

In Malaysia on the other hand, when you mention HDs..... a lot of people will think you are referring to the black ones which are OE gas replacement shocks (good uns too. btter than BOGE turbogas :yes:). The yellow bilsteins are generally referred to as Bistein sports...... unless you are referring to specific Bilstein sports package e.g. the PSS series.

And so the debate continues.........

I think up till two years, both the Bilstein HD and Sports comes in yellow colour only. Yes I did bought one set of Bilstein HD absorbers before and they are in yellow colour. Later they changed the HD to black (not sure why). However, the distinction back then is that you can buy the Bilstein HD absorbers alone (both front and back) to match with either stock springs or aftermarket springs like Eibach/H&R etc. The Bilstein Sports is only available as a full set consisting of absorbers (with shorter stroke) and matching lowered springs. I think this is still true now but it easier to distinguish the two now due to their colour. The Biltein Sports set if not coilover. They are different from the PSS/PSS9. Two years ago, the price of the Bilstein Sport set was about RM2.8K while the PSS was around RM7K (there about).

:p Thanks to all the Sifu'S

I believe there is pro and con on both type. Therefore we need to select the correct set to suit our driving style.

To make it clear, the conclusion :

HD Type : Can use for original length spring & sport spring

Sport Type : Only for sport spring.

anyone know where to buy bilstein black HD (B4) with warranty? i went to 4 shop which is selling bilstein, but all no warranty.

Jipster said:
a lot of people will think you are referring to the black ones which are OE gas replacement shocks (good uns too. btter than BOGE turbogas :yes:). The yellow bilsteins are generally referred to as Bistein sports
And so the debate continues.........

bro what do u mean by this i dont get it?which of the bilstein r better than boge turbo gas?

what do u mean better is it comfort or performance?have u tried in it?

i m planning to get the turbo gas..need some advice b4 purchase...

Yellow B6 ("HD") standard length shock - use with standard length springs

Yellow B8 ("Sport") short stroke absorbers - use with lowered sport springs

Geddit?:D

or HD - black + standard springs

B6 - Sport yellow + standard springs
B8 - Sprint yellow + short springs ... :D

what about Koni Sport absorbers? or GAB coilovers? are they better than bilstein? I'm currently running on Eibach with standard shocks... planning to change my absobers but confused on which one to go for?

koni sa with eibach pro-kit combo works well for my e34... car feels more planted and ride surprisingly comfortable... no more floaty sea sick ride and bouncing over bumps... thanks 535i...

Some people say the Koni softer then Bilstein?
What about the GAB supplied by RS ONE? They claim its imported from Japan, but assemble here.. but if look closely the Japan ones and theirs - looks kinda different... dun know laa.. anyone got expereience?

A friend of mine just installed Koni's into his Audi A4.. and after taking a ride with him, we both felt sea sick.. hehe..

Silver - got your PM.. will consider.. thanks.. :)

another option is that you can get your shocks customised to the specific softness or hardness that you want. Once it is customised it can be serviced on a regular basis, no need to change the absorbers ever again. This is similar to how coilovers are serviced.

There is also another option, your current absorbers can be converted to height adjustable ones.

erica34;194954 said:
koni sa with eibach pro-kit combo works well for my e34... car feels more planted and ride surprisingly comfortable... no more floaty sea sick ride and bouncing over bumps... thanks 535i...
unfortunately the koni I got didn't last... less than 2 years already leaking :(
it's either bilstein b8 or coilovers next

Top Bottom