BILSTEIN B12 Tuning Kit

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

supergripen

Club Guest
Hi guys,I've just purchased an e60 525i Jap-spec which comes with the standard suspension setup and 17s running on 4yr old runflats(B'stone).I am indeed planning an upgrade to 19s on normal(read non-RFT) tyres and also a suspension upgrade owing to the fact that the suspension and rolling components are already 4yrs old.I plan to get Bilstein's B12 kit,with mono-tube and inverted shocks.A search reveals that Bilstein claims the kit offers handling improvements and lowering without a sacrifice in the ride quality.Seeing as to how this is a relatively new offering,i was wondering if anyone here is currently using this particular kit and how you find the ride.I've found out that the kit comes with H&R springs which are pretty stiff.i don't want a stiff ride,so am I better off with just changing the springs to Eibach's Pro-Kit springs?I'm used to Eibachs on all my previous cars but have been told they are no good on the e60..comments?any feedback and comments are most welcome..:wink:

any comments on the Pro-Kits then? been told that they lower the front too much and the rear too little.
i don't want to make a costly mistake by getting something too stiff..if that happens it'll be back to square one.

I am driving a 525i sports that came with the m-tech suspension that was already slightly lowered.

I first went to pro-kit and the ride became softer and more bouncy on the highways. I didnt like the way the car was feeling so i sold the prokit springs away.

Now im on H&R springs and 20inch rims and the car feels somewhat harsher altho im sure its because of the springs + 20inch combo.

Im not sure about the shocks cause i never changed them but ive been told that they indeed to make a difference with regards to road comfort etc.

The prokit springs made the car look like it was squatting with the front much lower than the rear.

The H&R brought all down and makes the car look even whcih looks much better..

k3nny;265426 said:
I am driving a 525i sports that came with the m-tech suspension that was already slightly lowered.

I first went to pro-kit and the ride became softer and more bouncy on the highways. I didnt like the way the car was feeling so i sold the prokit springs away.

Now im on H&R springs and 20inch rims and the car feels somewhat harsher altho im sure its because of the springs + 20inch combo.

Im not sure about the shocks cause i never changed them but ive been told that they indeed to make a difference with regards to road comfort etc.

The prokit springs made the car look like it was squatting with the front much lower than the rear.

The H&R brought all down and makes the car look even which looks much better..

Thanx Kenny,finally an answer..

So my info was right la,the Pro-Kit lowers the front too much and the rear roo little.And also the ride will be floaty maybe due to soft springs(an Eibach trademark).I've yet to see or experience it myself,but will soon as a friend has changed to the Pro-Kit on his e60 530i..

I'm still on the standard suspension setup and rolling on puny runflat 17s,slow speed ride around town is below my expectations..It's killing me!! Can't wait to slap on at least some normal(read non runflats)18s or preferrably 19s,and slamming it down of course.

Can't wait to slap on 19s

HAMANN-535d-front.jpg

hm512.jpg

This is ultimate!!! 20' with H&R Coil Over Suspension Systems

geofreylee:

The Hamann Edition Race rims in the pic is using 21' rims if im not mistaken and the Hartge is 21' as well..

Anyhow, ive tried the H&R race coilovers in a friends e60 530i.

I wouldnt recommend it. too bumpy.

I however like the KW Variant 3 i think? Ive tried it with 20' Hartge rims and the ride feels soft and supple. Just for a short distance so i really cant be sure but from that short ride, it felt as if the damping of the road vibrations and harshness was much better than my std shocks on H&R springs.

k3nny,

Thanks for the infor.. the rims in the pictures sure look stunning on the E60. Saya...belum belum cukup budget for an E60 yet.... still in plan

ok guys,i've installed the B12 on my car but i've only had a day's experience with the car(had to work,outstation boo-hoo-hoo!).

to tell u the truth,i was expecting the car to drop lower at the back but i guess it'll have to do.in all fairness though,the lowering was more balanced front and rear compared to the Pro-Kits with the fronts coming down less and the rears down more the the said Pro-Kits.

on the road,the car was a revelation to drive..body control was exemplary,roll was virtually eliminated compared on the soft standard setup and the ride was not that much worse..in fact,i'd say it was better.mind you,i've traded off my runflat 17"s with 19" CSC3s which might explain the ride.

the car felt solid and well planted,very assuring indeedy..with the 275 rears,car corners like it was on rails:top: ..

all in all,the B12 was all that Bilstein claims,and then some..:wink:

supergripen: THe B12 would be shocks and you're riding on H&R Sport springs?

Or is the B12 a set of shocks + springs?

How much is the damage? My H&R Sport springs + M-Tech shocks/Std shocks + 20inch rims drives like sh1t around corners...

mmm

the B12 is a complete kit with inverted shocks and sports springs..

i haven't driven it in 'anger' yet so i can't really comment from that angle.but compared to the standard setup,it was waaay better in terms of body control,solidity in feel and general cornering stance with much lesser body roll..in fact,even the ride quality was better tho i'd have to admit it was probably due to the fact that i've switched from RFTs to normal tyres.

i think your H&R springs lowers more compared to my B12 but it is also stiffer compared to the B12.. and u're running 20s compared to my 19s,so we have 2 completely different setups.

last nite my wife called saying she heard some irritating rattling noises when she drove the car to Seremban..i've yet to experience it,i suspect its the rear electric shade or even the rear shelf assembly.i'll be back in KL tmoro so hopefully its nothing serious.

supergripen: Sad to say, the E60 is a horribly shitty car in terms of build quality.

I live on a slope and therefore when i go home, and i turn right, sort of like when 1 wheel is up and the other is not up..

As if i was turning up a right angle towards a ramp and 1 tire obviously goes up the ramp before the other, i get some knocking sounds under my feet or around where the swaybar is. AB and sapura auto have not been able to locate nor rectify this issue for the past 2 years of my ownership.

My rear parcel shelf has also been rattling since i bought the car but then again, they are now no longer willing to attempt to rectify the problem as i've cut it up in my audio install..

The H&R's are stiff and im not sure if getting aftermarket bilstein shocks will make it slightly better..

Do let us know how the B12 is working for you ;)

How much did they cost?

the guys at the e60Forum has the same problem regarding the rear parcel shelf.one of them suggested slotting a few black rubber snubbers in between the shelf leading edge and the rear seatback..seemed to work in eliminating the rattle.

the car does feel less solid compared to my e46 and even my e36.. quite surprising indeed,there are more rattles and squeeks in the e60.dunno if its just me..

supergripen;269383 said:
last nite my wife called saying she heard some irritating rattling noises when she drove the car to Seremban..i've yet to experience it,i suspect its the rear electric shade or even the rear shelf assembly.i'll be back in KL tmoro so hopefully its nothing serious.

recently i'm experiencing similar noise problem in my car...its a squeaking noise from the rear when i'm going over bumpy roads...like someone shagging on an old metal frame bed. it goes away when i'm having rear passengers so could be the seats, or the additional weight reduced the vibration effect? any idea? what was the outcome of your findings supergripen?

ess530i;349577 said:
recently i'm experiencing similar noise problem in my car...its a squeaking noise from the rear when i'm going over bumpy roads...like someone shagging on an old metal frame bed. it goes away when i'm having rear passengers so could be the seats, or the additional weight reduced the vibration effect? any idea? what was the outcome of your findings supergripen?

gosh,that was a while back..the problem that my wife experienced was actually the rear suspension upper strut rubber mount thingy that had ripped.apparently the rubber had gone hard and after changing to a stiffer setup,the thing just went 'rip'!! had it changed right after.. no sounds since from the suspension.

tho like Kenny mentioned,the cabin/dash area still has some unresolved creaks and rattles..very unbecoming of a 5er i must say.i've given up trying..i just crank up the volume when i get irritated.

supergripen;351171 said:
gosh,that was a while back..the problem that my wife experienced was actually the rear suspension upper strut rubber mount thingy that had ripped.apparently the rubber had gone hard and after changing to a stiffer setup,the thing just went 'rip'!! had it changed right after.. no sounds since from the suspension.

tho like Kenny mentioned,the cabin/dash area still has some unresolved creaks and rattles..very unbecoming of a 5er i must say.i've given up trying..i just crank up the volume when i get irritated.

i'm still trying to figure out the source of the noise, its hard to tell from the front. haven't got the chance to be the rear passenger of my car yet! :)

btw how r the b12's performing so far?

Guys just want to confirm.

Been told by Eng Soon SG. Bilstien 12 = B8 absober(big shaft) + H&R spring. Is it correct & same for E60? Currently my E39 is on H&R spring wt standard absober & feel floaty expecially on highway. No doubt its soft & comfort but I'm more into performance.

initialM;351206 said:
Guys just want to confirm.

Been told by Eng Soon SG. Bilstien 12 = B8 absober(big shaft) + H&R spring. Is it correct & same for E60? Currently my E39 is on H&R spring wt standard absober & feel floaty expecially on highway. No doubt its soft & comfort but I'm more into performance.

b8sprintinfo.jpg

:top::top::top:

Top Bottom