Between E28 520i & 525i.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Mell74

Club Guest
Hi guys,I'm in 30's and plan to buy E28 somewhere this year. I'm earning RM2500 below permonth. Do you think I can effort to maintain E28? Between 520i and 525i which one is better to get? I not favour for Proton so please don't suggest to me.I ask a few people about Merc W123 and Volvo 240SE/GLT, again they said E28 is the best among those!Thanks for your info.

No comments about the E28 but I used to own the 240GL (2.3L Carb) and the maintenance is not light once you hit a certain age. Albeit parts are abundant and the car is like tank. Wear and tear will definitely kick in at that age. The car is only about less than RM$10K. Have fun.

Hi Mell74,

The only difference between the two besides roadtax is fuel consumption. The 520i would yield better MPG around town but the 525i gives better MPG for outstation drives.

The 520i is alot easier to tune compared to the 525i.

Look for a good condition car and DO take the car to a workshop with a hoist and look at the chassis as these cars are prone to rust along the main chassis frames.

Try to avoid cheap cars that you are thinking of fixing up as you drive. Go directly for a good car, pay more if you have to. You will be happier in the end.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Mell74@Jan 21 2006, 10:09 PM
Hi guys,

I'm in 30's and plan to buy E28 somewhere this year. I'm earning RM2500 below permonth. Do you think I can effort to maintain E28? Between 520i and 525i which one is better to get? I not favour for Proton so please don't suggest to me.
I ask a few people about Merc W123 and Volvo 240SE/GLT, again they said E28 is the best among those!

Thanks for your info.
I would go for e30 than e28 with your claimed income. Get a 4 doors. It's smaller, lighter and parts can be easier to get too. If u are no power hungry dude, get a 318i, else a 323 or 325i would be the right choice. Get one with manual gearbox, it'll last almost forever...

E28, is fine car... but u gotta be careful with the rust condition... Might as well get an e34, as price now reaching RM20K...soon... In rare occasion, u'd get it at RM18K or less?

however, i would go for W124 rather than W123... still there are parts that can be expensive too...

Volvo- well if u're not into speed 24 hrs a day 365 days, u should be ok. But, parts can be expensive... else get S40 2.5T... ada ke?

I guess, if u are DIY person, u should be ok with BMW, why not! Life can be too straight without some risks...did that 5 years ago, and in 3years i accidently got 4 bmw's, sold the e28...and left with 3,5,7... But now, i ride bike, becoz i hate traffic jams...

Good luck...

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the input it's really great to hear it all from you. I would take nsbone suggestion in consideration, E30 would seem look appropreate to go too. I just found E30 4 door manual selling below RM20k and now is a matter of money!

Guys,
Just got some comment... they ask me to consider E28 525i or 528i even better... what you think? With M30 in it?

Thanks.

Top Bottom