Belt tensioner

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

tweiboon

Club Guest
Alot of e39 will have the sound from belt tensioner. This is mean the tensioner need to change. As long as the belt is tight enough then you no need to to change the belt tensioner.If you able to unplug the belt tensioner then put libricant oil or 4WD oil. Or you can unplug water host in order for you to spray 4WD oil to the bet tensioner.Due to belt tensioner dosent have the bearing, whenever the hole holding the shaft of the belt tensioner is bigger causing the lose of the body. Then the friction between moving parts of the body causing sound. If you able to add lubricant oil to the belt tensioner the sound will reduce.I have changed the new belt tensioner recently. But still got very little sound from the belt tensioner although it is new. To prevent this happen, please add lubricant oil to belt tensioner before fit to your car.

bro which belt tensioner are you talking about?the main one or for the a/c compressor?

the a/c tensioner does emit sound even if it is new but not due to the tensioner itself but due to the asembly that hold the pulley.on this assembly are roller bearings that wears due to age.i've lubed these roller bearings but this only works for a while before the noise comes back.

and no it is not wise to lube new pulley bearings as the lubricant WILL attract dust and accelerate wear,even if there is a pulley cover.

That is mechanical tensioner..there is a coil spring inside that..it is possible that the sound is the result of coil spring rubbing each other when it vibrates..
another solution is..change to hydraulic type...then when the time comes, just change the pulley..(but so far I manage to change the pulley on the mechanical tensioner eventhough BMW sell the tensioner and pulley as one unit...)

aliris;706256 said:
That is mechanical tensioner..there is a coil spring inside that..it is possible that the sound is the result of coil spring rubbing each other when it vibrates..
another solution is..change to hydraulic type...then when the time comes, just change the pulley..(but so far I manage to change the pulley on the mechanical tensioner eventhough BMW sell the tensioner and pulley as one unit...)

Correct, correct. That is why need to put some oil into the spring there to reduce the rubbing and friction and also reduce the sound. I never see the hydraulic type tensioner. Can show the pictures or link ?

226.png

item #5 is the roller bearing that i meant.

and the pic ,top lh corner is the hydraulic tensioner

Then this is for e39 540 right ? e39 523 can modify to this belt tensioner as well ?

no la...pic is from my car.
on diagram #15 = pulley with integrated bearing
#8 is hydraulic damper.this is the set up i have for the a/c belt

my main belt tensioner is the mechanical tensioner

AFAIK, you can change to the hydraulic type..but need to get the whole assembly including strut, bracket and roller bearing (either new or from scrapyard/kedai potong)

aliris;706817 said:
AFAIK, you can change to the hydraulic type..but need to get the whole assembly including strut, bracket and roller bearing (either new or from scrapyard/kedai potong)

Wow........if i know this before i change the tensioner for sure i change to hydraulic already ..........heheheheheh

Top Bottom