Battery Flat..Cannot open the door

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

James Chun

Club Guest
Good Day,Recently my E34 battery flat after not using it for more than 2 weeks...i tried to open the door follow to the online manual, but still no way to open it..i can only open the rear trunk using the key....Any other idea to open it without smashing the glasses????

There is a hole on the hook of the front hood. Use a long "-" screwdriver to plonk into the hole with slight force, then can open the engine hood.

1.png

Alternatively you could open up your trunk and remove one of your light bulbs and use some jumper cables connected to another battery to touch the light bulb terminals to supply power to your locks. Just need to ensure that the + is connected to the + etc.

I've tried it before when I accidentally disconnected my battery to reset the ECU and had shut the hood after deadlocking the doors.....

the way to unlock the door is to put the key in the drivers side, turn the key past the normal unlock position by turning the key and pulling the door handle upwards at the same time. This may take a couple of tries if the lock hasnt been opened for awhile.

PS: This is the emergency unlocking procedure if your battery is flat.

Use key to turn lock about 45 deg. Lift up the door handle. Continue to turn key until 90 deg.

The door should open on second lift.

Many e34s have worn lock, so it will be useless to use the proper procedure if the lock are spoiled (cant turn the key at all)...

Actually that procedure would only work if the doors are not double locked. If they are double locked then no choice....

I had 2 occasion having problem opening my door. 1st time was travelled all the way from KL to PG island and stopped for dinner, after dinner central locking play trick on me not able to open door. Use key switch also cannot, ended up smashing the rear triangle window to unlock. Spent couple of hundred to find a replacement n fixed it at Chu Seng Penang and I can assure you , replacement window will definitely have air leaked !
2nd time, my battery ran flat at home, hv to use hard wire to insert between door n frame to unlock.

Now I am afraid of all these battery problem, so I fixed a black n red wiring from the battery pole under passenger seat going thru a hole to the trunk. Terminate each year and keep them separately. Just in case battery run flat, I can pop-up the trunk manually and connect both ends to either battery or "12v DC" adaptor.

i never had a remote or an alarm system on my 1989. The Key is the only way i lock my car.
what i normally in these circumstances is insert the key and turn as usual but a few more times while the "golf tee" rises with every turn of the key.

Tom;572619 said:
..what i normally in these circumstances is insert the key and turn as usual but a few more times while the "golf tee" rises with every turn of the key.
really?! didn't know it could do that... worth trying if i'm in such as situation.

same thing happened to my e34....i had a small jack so i jacked up the car and brought a battery from another car....i attached a wire from positive and touched the positive terminal on the starter under the car the use the remote to open the car.

erica34;572693 said:
really?! didn't know it could do that... worth trying if i'm in such as situation.

This will only work if the door hasn't been double locked.

Thank you for the info. I left my car for 3 wks and the battery went dead. Lucky for this thread, I managed to open the door thru method described by Tom. But I used the passenger door instead since the driver's door was no avail. Turn the key anti-clockwise, simultaneously lift the door handle. The door lock 'golf-tee' raised up a little. Do it couple of times and, boom, the door can be opened. Less than 1 min. Thank you guys, you the best muahhhss!!

mine is diffrent..after experienced this flat battery thg last yr, my wireman has slightly adjusted the wiring on the door lock..no matter whether the battery is ok or not, i can still open the driver door using the key...no need to do emergency unlocking procedure

maxxsp;563242 said:
the way to unlock the door is to put the key in the drivers side, turn the key past the normal unlock position by turning the key and pulling the door handle upwards at the same time. This may take a couple of tries if the lock hasnt been opened for awhile.

PS: This is the emergency unlocking procedure if your battery is flat.

agreed,it works for me last time. :)

i experienced this one before...
i left my car in the junk for one year...

we did not use anything to open the door nor break the window...

all we did was jack the car up.. and reacharge the car from bottom.. i think the -ve is connected to the car body and the +ve to one of the live wire in the engine... ask mechanics for details... 10mins then walaa... the door could be unlocked...

tehyw;693223 said:
i experienced this one before...
i left my car in the junk for one year...

we did not use anything to open the door nor break the window...

all we did was jack the car up.. and reacharge the car from bottom.. i think the -ve is connected to the car body and the +ve to one of the live wire in the engine... ask mechanics for details... 10mins then walaa... the door could be unlocked...

waa... your mechanic very the terror wan...

Top Bottom