Autocross on 20th August 2005

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Status
Not open for further replies.

OSFlanker

Club Guest
Guys,The Kookaburra Racing Team will be organising an autocross on Saturday 20th August 2005. This event will be for newbies coz there will be 3 instructors on hand to provide training for autocross driving. This is not the AAM defensive driving course teaching you emergency braking & evasive maneuvers. The instructors are there to teach you skills to take on the course in the fastest manner. The lead instructor will be Sean Khoo, whose details I will post up later.We will separate the cars into different classes and each class winner shall get a prize.Tentative event details :Venue : Shah Alam Stadium carpark (opp kart track)Schedule : 9am-12pm Coaching, 1pm-2pm lunch, 2pm-5pm timed runsMax no. of participants : 30 (for coaching), 40 (for timed runs)Fee : RM300 for coaching, RM50 for the afternoon session only (no coaching).Lunch will be provided to the coaching participants & also a t-shirt. Afternoon participants will only get t-shirts upon availability of stock.Priority will be given to the participants taking the coaching so there will only be 10 slots open for the afternoon session. A RM150 downpayment will be required to secure your place for the coaching (RM50 downpayment for the afternoon session). We are hoping to reduce the coaching fees to below RM300 but that would depend on sponsorships.Please put your name on the list. The payment details & competition rules will be posted up soon.

Note : This is not a club event so others will be invited too. It's a Kookaburra event so we shall try to make the course fun!

Please cut & paste this list.

Coaching (9-5pm) - RM350
1. OSFlanker
2. Alvin
3. BM5
4. Reserved
5. Reserved
6. Reserved
7. Reserved
8. Reserved
9. Reserved
10. Reserved
11. Reserved
12. REserved
13. Reserved
14. Reserved
15. Reserved
16. MyKart
17. MyKart
18. MyKart
19. MyKart
20. MyKart

Competition Only (2-5pm) - RM80 (practice + 3 timed runs)
1. Reserved
2. Reserved
3. Reserved

I think Alvin will be contacting the AutoItalia boys.......hopefully there will be one mildly modified Volvo S40 turbo and Subaru forrester to throw in the mix

Rules & Regulations

Safety is paramount, therefore when on the course :

1. Helmet must be worn
2. Seatbelts must be fastened
3. No shorts and slippers/sandals (i.e. shoes and trousers)
4. No loose items in the vehicle
5. Observe signals from marshalls/timeskeepers/stewards
6. Only one vehicle on the course at any one time
7. Brake lights and handbrake must be functioning; tighten all wheel nuts
8. Make sure you don't have any heart conditions or serious illnesses!
9. Please stop the vehicle IMMEDIATELY if you run over a cone and it gets stuck under your car.
10. No speeding other on the course. The organisers reserve the right to eject any unruly or obnoxious individual who is a safety hazard to others.

Competition :
1. Timing of the runs shall be by handheld stopwatches.
2. The results are fair and final. No disputes or appeals will be entertained (harsher than FIA!)
3. Final placings will be determined by the aggregate of the 2 fastest times of the 3 runs.
4. A 5 second penalty will be incurred for hitting each cone & signboard
5. Only grooved street legal tyres are allowed (Sirim/DOT marked)

Others :
1. The organisers reserve the right to place sponsors' stickers on the vehicles (please wax your vehicle if you don't want to leave gum on the paint)
2. Images/video taken during the event by appointed personnel remains the property of the organisers and the organisers reserve the right to use/distribute/publicise/assign these images/video.

Classes * :
Kampung : 1,600cc and below
Pekan : 1,601cc to 2,000cc
Bandar : 2,000cc to 2,500cc
Bandaraya : Above 2,501cc

Forced induction (turbo / supercharged) engines to calculate specific capacity by multipying a factor of 1.7

* Subject to revisions depending on the entries

Special Rule :
Those with Brembo brakes get a 10 sec handicap - i.e. Alvin (just kidding!)

Some biodata on Sean Khoo, the lead instructor :

Sean has attended many certification driving courses amongst which are :

- Race Driving School (Perth)
- Advance & Specialized Driving (Driver Education Centre of Australia)
- Police Driver Development -Trainers Courses (Australia)
- Police Pursuit Course (Urgent Duty Driving, Australia)
- Michigan State Police Instructors Certification

He is currently the official instructor for Lotus Cars Club of Malaysia, Chief Instructor St John Ambulance Malaysia and Shell and BP/Castrol Approved Training provider.

Amongst the many events he has provided training are :

- Porsche Club Malaysia & Hong Kong
- TVR Malaysia
- VIP Drivers (Steward Ford F1)
- Singapore Motor Show- Stunt Team Driver

In addition to his duties as an instructor, he has also been the pace/safety car driver at many races :

- 2002-05 Japan GT-Pace Car Driver
- 2002 Malaysian Merdeka Endurance Race – Safety Car Driver
- 2002 Malaysian GP – Safety Car Driver
- 2003/05 Asian Festival Of Speed Porsche/BMW - Safety Car Driver
- 2002-03 Malaysian Super Series Safety Car Driver
- 2003 Malaysian Moto GP Safety car driver

He raced in a Lotus Elise at the 2003 Malaysian Merdeka Endurance race.

Note : This is not a club event so others will be invited too. It's a Kookaburra event so we shall try to make the course fun!

Coaching (9-5pm) - RM350
1. OSFlanker
2. Alvin
3. BM5
4. Reserved
5. Reserved
6. Reserved
7. Reserved
8. Reserved
9. Reserved
10. Reserved
11. Reserved
12. REserved
13. Reserved
14. Reserved
15. Reserved
16. MyKart
17. MyKart
18. MyKart
19. MyKart
20. MyKart
21. Slide

1. Reserved
2. Reserved
3. Reserved

Slide, you coming in the 951 or 328? Or you got yourself the rollcaged Tiara already? hehehe

Coaching (9-5pm) - RM350
1. OSFlanker
2. Alvin
3. BM5
4. Volvo S40
5. Volvo S40
6. Reserved
7. Reserved
8. Auto Italia
9. Auto Italia
10. Auto Italia
11. Auto Italia
12. Auto Italia
13. Auto Italia
14. Auto Italia
15. Auto Italia
16. Auto Italia
17. Auto Italia
18. MyKart
19. MyKart
20. MyKart
21. MyKart
22. MyKart
23. Slide
24. OSFlanker's big six secret project car piloted by VIP driver

1. Reserved
2. Reserved
3. Reserved

if its ok i will post up this info on the Italia Auto website.

redd

Originally posted by Redd@Jul 24 2005, 12:09 AM
if its ok i will post up this info on the Italia Auto website.

redd
Redd, please go ahead! tentatively reserve 10 spaces for auto italia, please cut & paste the updated list. Cheers!

OsF,

20/08/05 is the same date as proton's SSO...... i tot u're entering the yellow bird for the batu kawan SSO ?

eoj

Originally posted by eoj@Jul 25 2005, 01:58 AM
OsF,

20/08/05 is the same date as proton's SSO...... i tot u're entering the yellow bird for the batu kawan SSO ?

eoj
yalor, at first the SSO was 6/7 August so I planned this coaching session to be on 20 August. Then I found out the SSO was postponed to 20/21 August but Sean told me he booked the carpark already. Since the SSO is for autocross regulars and it's in Penang, we thought it's OK to proceed.

Wuuuhooooo!!!! Cant wait.

Wa normally so many people talk about driving fast but now no one put name down ar?
Good chance to learn advance driving at a cheap price.

Alvin, there are some lurkers out there. Had a few PM.........would Franklin be around? Better put his name down if he is.

Originally posted by OSFlanker@Jul 21 2005, 09:31 PM
Slide, you coming in the 951 or 328? Or you got yourself the rollcaged Tiara already? hehehe

Thats my main problem right now, i think the 328 will be easier to drive at an autoX meet, the 951 is faster in a straight line and i have just set her up, so am dying to test her out... but with power steering and all that low down torque, the 328 may just be better around a tight circuit.... so many decisions... I guess i'll wait to see what the rest of the guys are bringing. Either way i am in the Bandaraya class.

So what to bring? Suggestions?

Slide, bring both!!!!!

hehehe.......I would suggest you bring the Porsche as it is a manual as opposed to the auto 328.....rite? If you want to track your Porsche often, then it would be better to acquire the skills in it and also see how the instructors handle your car.

Slide

Bro! Better the 951 to understand the car better plus manual. My suggestion is to drive the 951 yourself & the 328 by your GF. Then she can learn also.

Get a few friends also lar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom