Auto Transmission

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

clockwork

Club Guest
dear all,for all auto transmission udm,what gear position we should put at when we stop at traffic light?P or N?

My Mech Said Go on N. And he told me if i am driving manual car, what i do if i am in traffic light ? Free the gear right ? So it work's the same.

i remembered reading an article in a newspaper about car maintenance, and it said that it is better to leave it at D

This topic was discussed before...pls do a search. If at traffic light just leave it to D dude. :yes:

Originally posted by Mont-o@Sep 8 2005, 09:06 AM
This topic was discussed before...pls do a search. If at traffic light just leave it to D dude. :yes:
Yeah. It's a longstanding debate but most gurus say leave it in D... :)

Originally posted by Mont-o@Sep 8 2005, 05:06 PM
nice ride...

Was advised as below:

When in D strain on brakes (and pads)

When shifting often between N & D at traffic lights puts strain on engine mountings

Better strain pads than mountings as cheaper to replace.

Originally posted by spidey@Sep 8 2005, 06:34 PM
Was advised as below:

When in D strain on brakes (and pads)

When shifting often between N & D at traffic lights puts strain on engine mountings

Better strain pads than mountings as cheaper to replace.
not as simple as that... the debate involved the ATF flowing in the gearbox especially within the torque convertor....

auto gearboxes work via solenoid valves which are rated for number of operations, like a switch. the more u switch gears, the quicker u wear them out. so if ur at a light for a short time, just leave it in D.

i usually pop it into neutral only if i know i will be there for a while. too lazy to keep my foot on the brakes.

when ur car is stationary, ur hardly straining the brakes or pads. dont worry about it. at idle the strain on the engine mounts are also very low.

redd

Originally posted by Redd@Sep 8 2005, 11:52 AM
auto gearboxes work via solenoid valves which are rated for number of operations, like a switch. the more u switch gears, the quicker u wear them out. so if ur at a light for a short time, just leave it in D.

i usually pop it into neutral only if i know i will be there for a while. too lazy to keep my foot on the brakes.

when ur car is stationary, ur hardly straining the brakes or pads. dont worry about it. at idle the strain on the engine mounts are also very low.

redd
Just leave at D but do not depress and press the brake to often as this will damage the tranny.

mine's a 4cylinder which is naturally not as smooth as a 6. Nowadays when i am depressing the brake pedal and leaving the autobox in D mode at traffic light stops, i find that the seat transmit minor vibration to me. But no vibration on the steering. Hmm, is this engine mounting problem? When the car is on the move, it is ok.

Top Bottom