ATF oil cooler installation

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Wow..i think this is very practical to restore our gb performance longer....count me in bro anaksarawak if the is right.

bmadzi65;771976 said:
Wow..i think this is very practical to restore our gb performance longer....count me in bro anaksarawak if the is right.

There many workshop who can do this but hope to hear some review or advice of experience from members here before we embark on that journey.

Bikin cam ni.. best! :top:

230423_285074671597833_2001796711_n.jpg

Dear Sifu,
Wonder is 325i (N52 engine) comes standard with ATF oil cooler? Called Mscope and spoke to a lady who told me it is.

Have a look at your radiator, if there a smaller radiator with hose connected to your gearbox then it is otherwise what she means the gearbox is connected to radiator via heat exchanger.

anaksarawak;773607 said:
Have a look at your radiator, if there a smaller radiator with hose connected to your gearbox then it is otherwise what she means the gearbox is connected to radiator via heat exchanger.

AS are you talking about the hose no 4 & 5 from the dia ?

MzU3MDVfcA==.png

Yes, the idea is to connect a oil cooler between returning hose, not sure if its 4 or 5. With that the return ATF can be cooled via the radiator fan.

Alex5522;795676 said:
AS are you talking about the hose no 4 & 5 from the dia ?

MzU3MDVfcA==.png

anaksarawak;795692 said:
Yes, the idea is to connect a oil cooler between returning hose, not sure if its 4 or 5. With that the return ATF can be cooled via the radiator fan.

Item 4 & 5

Screenshot_56.png

i retrofitted oil cooler to my e46 328ci at bm world desa tun razak. i think it's ori/used from e36. all black and sits behind grille in front of radiator hence discrete - just the way i like. see post #10 by aidilj for the ATF cooler used.

erica34;795789 said:
i retrofitted oil cooler to my e46 328ci at bm world desa tun razak. i think it's ori/used from e36. all black and sits behind grille in front of radiator hence discrete - just the way i like. see post #10 by aidilj for the ATF cooler used.

Bump for this topic. GB temperature is slightly higher than average lately & mechh suggested to retrofit E36 air-cooled cooler to replace the stock one. Quoted RM500 all-in.

Highly recommended for E46, GB can last longer. I had installed mine, temperature maintains always below 100c :top:

polaris78;819070 said:
Highly recommended for E46, GB can last longer. I had installed mine, temperature maintains always below 100c :top:

Did you installed the air-cooled one? Can share further details of the the damage and shop?

Just sharing my experience after the addition of the gearbox cooler (replaced original E46 water-cooled with air-cooled from E36).

Healthy GB temperature after normal town driving and uphill spirited drive is about 90c. Tested over the weekend with long drive from KL-Taiping and back. Temperatures averaged around 98c the highest.

For reference, GB temperature is at 57c upon cold start.

Recommended mod for enthusiast who rempit their rides as maintaining optimum GB operating temperature is essential to a GB.

Since overheated GB can be a silent killer, it is recommended to check GB temp from time to time.

wing did you manage to monitor the atf temp with the previous setup? (oil to water on e46)
just for comparison before and after mod.

tropos_net;821190 said:
wing did you manage to monitor the atf temp with the previous setup? (oil to water on e46)
just for comparison before and after mod.

Yes. My previous setup with E46 stock water-cooled cooler is not working at its optimum level maybe due to its age. Idle temp is about 98c and mixture of normal town driving with jam + minor rempit can even hit 126c. Did not have a photo of it but tested with my mech in the car while driving.

Something for my own consideration.....thanks for sharing guys...

Top Bottom