ATF change...

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Flushlah of course. Its cleaner and removes deposits thoroughly. But due to the pressure of a flush, manny rubber parts that are weak and old, may also crack.

i think to flush coz to ensure the total oil are changed not mixing it up new and oil if dont flush.....but vinson have point also.....bro scin did his he can give better comment on this.....

calling scin.......... :D

Originally posted by vinson@Jun 21 2006, 08:19 PM
Flushlah of course. Its cleaner and removes deposits thoroughly. But due to the pressure of a flush, manny rubber parts that are weak and old, may also crack.
where did u heard or read about that? proven that it really happen? coz i already flush and change my ATF

Done it and lived to tell the tale ( so far la... 1000km )
Honestly, if you think about logically, it makes perfect sense to flush and change it on
a regular schedule. All the other side effects reported may just be arse luck or inproper flushing methods.
Mouse, you did at kanak kanak ah?

Originally posted by scin@Jun 21 2006, 09:54 PM
Done it and lived to tell the tale ( so far la... 1000km )
Honestly, if you think about logically, it makes perfect sense to flush and change it on
a regular schedule. All the other side effects reported may just be arse luck or inproper flushing methods.
Mouse, you did at kanak kanak ah?
nope, m-speed USJ, the total bill was 900 for flushing, refilling back (esso), changing gasket & filter & labour (almost pengsan when i see the cost for changing ATF). 5000KM now so far so good

What I did is just to change the ATF, no flushing...

I intend to change it more often, maybe every 10k....cos mine is a recon unit... I also change my engine oil every 2-3k...... manual flushing rather than use the machine... :D

Originally posted by bibendum@Jun 22 2006, 09:03 AM

I intend to change it more often, maybe every 10k....cos mine is a recon unit... I also change my engine oil every 2-3k...... manual flushing rather than use the machine... :D
wow man, u r really a car lover, yeah that is also what i think if u dun flush it, change it more frequent and use the fluid inself as a flush

Originally posted by aramis@Jun 22 2006, 08:51 AM
mouse, seems like you also frequent m-speed, me too ! :p
bro, when u goin again, we can meet there and TT opposite his shop (maybe c u there b4 also but dunno its u)

Originally posted by aramis@Jun 22 2006, 08:51 AM
mouse, seems like you also frequent m-speed, me too ! :p
bro, meet there one day and TT opposite his shop (maybe c u there b4 but dunno each other only)

anyone know where is the dipstick for ATF (if there is any) if not then how to check not to overfill it?

wow man, u r really a car lover, yeah that is also what i think if u dun flush it, change it more frequent and use the fluid inself as a flush

Yeah.. If gearbox dies, my pocket dries.. :D

anyone know where is the dipstick for ATF (if there is any) if not then how to check not to overfill it?

I believe there is no dipstick for ATF. Cos I can't find it too.. :D

Only way is to fill until it overflows.. For mine, I m surprise is just less than 3 litres...

Originally posted by bibendum@Jun 22 2006, 09:03 AM

that's what i read in some bmw uk mags...

they recommend changing ATF every 31250miles (50,000km), no flushing required..

in mouse case, M-Speed does the flushing using up to more than 15 litres of gear oil b4 topping it up...i.e.from a dark sludge to a clear goldish gear oil...

but, getting cracks on other related parts during flushing is new to me as well..

Hmm...thread was started the right time for me....car is coming around to 50,000 miles (80,000km)....time for service and possibily ATF change...

Did some checking on ATF changes / Gearbox lifespan:-

1) Bimmer Magazine US - under buying used E39, which use the same engines and gearboxes as the 3 series mentioned that the gearbox lifespan is about 80,000 to 120,000 miles........

2) E46fanatics - the majority of the guys who responded to the 'steptronic good' thread have clocked more than 100,000 miles but most of them had done a ATF change/flush. But there were also guys whose box went kaboom when ATF changed but these guys first changed ATF at about 100,000 miles (161,000km)...so change before ATF 60,000 miles at latest.......

3) Word of mouth:-
a) Friend of my parents has had his E39 since 1997 - 126,000 miles and no issues with the car whatsoever.....but his cars ATF is changed every 50,000 miles.......
B) one forum guy has almost clocked 126,000 miles on his car and never changed his ATF...car runs well.....must be his bat out of hell driving style!

4) Other makes:-
a) V6 : alot of them require new gearboxes after 62,000 miles (100,000km) - cost recon about RM4K.....new RM15K....as much as a bmw!!!!

B) Toyota: altis : one guy in my office had his gearbox replaced at about 50,000km (31,000 miles)...cost RM8K - just after waranty expired....not sure how he drove the car but he appeared to take care of his car....will not park in the lower basement carparks as the lines on the ramps up and down wear out his absorbers!!!
My altis however - 2002 to 2005 - did 105,000 km including many spirited drives to genting and had no issues.....

Conclusion : luck of the draw for all car makes but changing ATF on bmw's before 62,000 miles will generally lead to a longer life....not sure how much longer....

to Flush or not to flush.....

Flush : if a gearbox can handle the internal pressure as the engine spins to 6000 rpm..... a flush should have no difference on the internals.... i hope...

Me.........car is due for service in about 4 weeks time......will decide by then, but if decide to change ATF, will do a flush.....think the workshop chosen has to have a proven track record on this.

in mouse case, M-Speed does the flushing using up to more than 15 litres of gear oil b4 topping it up...i.e.from a dark sludge to a clear goldish gear oil...

Have you heard anybody say that from a dark sludge to a clear goldish gear oil.... the gearbox will not be able to take it? Not sure whether that is true... :dunno:

Originally posted by bmwcar@Jun 22 2006, 12:12 PM
Hmm...thread was started the right time for me....car is coming around to 50,000 miles (80,000km)....time for service and possibily ATF change...

Did some checking on ATF changes / Gearbox lifespan:-

1) Bimmer Magazine US - under buying used E39, which use the same engines and gearboxes as the 3 series mentioned that the gearbox lifespan is about 80,000 to 120,000 miles........

2) E46fanatics - the majority of the guys who responded to the 'steptronic good' thread have clocked more than 100,000 miles but most of them had done a ATF change/flush. But there were also guys whose box went kaboom when ATF changed but these guys first changed ATF at about 100,000 miles (161,000km)...so change before ATF 60,000 miles at latest.......

3) Word of mouth:-
a) Friend of my parents has had his E39 since 1997 - 126,000 miles and no issues with the car whatsoever.....but his cars ATF is changed every 50,000 miles.......
B) one forum guy has almost clocked 126,000 miles on his car and never changed his ATF...car runs well.....must be his bat out of hell driving style!

4) Other makes:-
a) V6 : alot of them require new gearboxes after 62,000 miles (100,000km) - cost recon about RM4K.....new RM15K....as much as a bmw!!!!

B) Toyota: altis : one guy in my office had his gearbox replaced at about 50,000km (31,000 miles)...cost RM8K - just after waranty expired....not sure how he drove the car but he appeared to take care of his car....will not park in the lower basement carparks as the lines on the ramps up and down wear out his absorbers!!!
My altis however - 2002 to 2005 - did 105,000 km including many spirited drives to genting and had no issues.....

Conclusion : luck of the draw for all car makes but changing ATF on bmw's before 62,000 miles will generally lead to a longer life....not sure how much longer....

to Flush or not to flush.....

Flush : if a gearbox can handle the internal pressure as the engine spins to 6000 rpm..... a flush should have no difference on the internals.... i hope...

Me.........car is due for service in about 4 weeks time......will decide by then, but if decide to change ATF, will do a flush.....think the workshop chosen has to have a proven track record on this.
points noted with thanx.....

u have a regular mech that do a good job on flushing? my mileage is approx 58000 miles...due soon for an ATF change..

any idea how much (in litres) gear oil that our gearbox consumes?

tot of getting Redline ATF, that's y is good to know how much litres is required...

cheers! :D

thinking of Karl Benz for the ATF change as he had managed to solve my idling problem which 2 other mechanics could not not figure out.......just hope that his expertise shown in engines is also in transmissions too....

will probably be speaking to KB in the next 2 weeks whether he does do ATF changes.......

heard cost was between RM600 to RM1000 for a full flush and change.... not too worried about the cost diff of RM400....just hoping my gearbox does not kaboom after that...

Will update you in our TT's on the progress......

Top Bottom