ASC & TSC

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
TSC - Trailer Stability Control... Standard on the X3.. not sure about the 5 series though...

ASC is traction control, similar to TRC (Toyota), TCS (Honda), ASR (Fiat/Alfa, Ford, Merc and VW/Audi), STC (Volvo) etc.

TSC? I must confess that I have not heard of that.

If you are referring to DSC, well, DSC is BMW's version of stability control, similar to VSC (Toyota), VSA (Honda), ESP (Ford, Merc and VW/Audi), VDC (Fiat/Alfa), DSTC (Volvo), PSM (Porsche) etc.

Stability control includes the traction control feature but not the other way round.

Traction control only controls the driving wheels (and I read somewhere that traction control only works up to around 100km/h), primarily to prevent wheelspin (like an electronic limited slip differential, some would say) for example during take-off on slippery surfaces/wet corners.

Stability control on the other hand works on all wheels to prevent instability including lateral instability such as understeer and oversteer (subject of course to the law of physics which ultimately can never be overcome). It can brake any one or more of the car`s 4 wheels at different times and extent and, if necessary, also reduce the engine power to any one or more of the driven wheels, to stabilise the car the moment the onset of understeer or oversteer is detected.

I think the usefulness of traction control is rather limited especially in snow-free countries. Far more useful is stability control as an active safety device.

In some cars, like BMWs (and, I believe, Porsche), the driver has the choice of disabling traction control AND stability control for a more sporty drive. In other cars like Toyotas and Mercs, only traction control can be disabled by the driver.

yup

by default the indicator on the dashboard is light OFF means ASC is ON

we can press the ASC button to disable it

so far i have felt 1 time the ASC kicked in n feedback on my steering

it was when i m doing about 110-120 on very wet road ..heavy raining

I believe that DSC is also more complex than ASC+T because it works in conjuction with the the engine,ASC+t and ABS to control the aforementioned parameters...

Go to a big parking lot, with no curbs, when or just after its rained.

Turn steering almost full lock, and start going around in circles, faster and faster and faster...

ASC= will allow you to understeer.

DSC= will try to correct the understeer.

Originally posted by The Necessary@Mar 15 2006, 06:08 PM
ASC= will allow you to understeer.

DSC= will try to correct the understeer.
Dude,
Does DSC work only when throttle is being appllied? or is it also working when you are braking mid corner?

For example, if you went into a corner a little to fast..DSC starts to kick in before you lift off and brake..

Once you start braking is it still active?

I have felt it all the way through the corner, with the throttle still applied la.... engine power is cut etc. etc

Dewd,

DSC is full time - regardless of throttle or brake application or position.

Originally posted by Zoggee@Mar 15 2006, 06:02 PM
how to test ah..??? I mean the ASC and DSC... :)
To test ASC, just apply full throttle on loose or slippery surfaces. You will see the orange ASC light (on the instrument cluster) flashing and a feeling of your car bogging down due to ASC restraining the power output to correct the loss of traction.

As for DSC, you could try out The Necessary's suggestion.

DSC is supposed to work full time although there were some talk that it only works when you apply the throttle. I'm more inclined to believe the former ie. DSC works full time.

Braking mid-corner? I think both DSC and CBC (Cornering Brake Control) will intervene if you overcook it.

Yeah, DSC is full time- it works when your foot is not on the throttle by braking individual wheels to try and correct your line in relation to your steering angle.

But let's not forget that in a FR car, when you lift off the throttle, the car is set up to trim it's line (ie. reduce oversteer), but it's quite important not to mash the brake in panic (when you understeer), as that will only lead to more forward weight transfer and more understeer. I do not know if DSC will retard braking force to prevent chronic understeer or a spin (when you mash the brakes), but I sure as hell learnt the hard way that ASC doesn't.

Oh, and let's not try to brake IN corners, that's very bad practise. Brake BEFORE the corner, stabilise your vehicle, then with foot on throttle and in appropriate gear (gear that allows half throttle), turn in smoothly, and start to feed more and more power in after you pass the apex.

I personally think ASC/DSC should be not used to push the limits, but to save your ass if something unexpected happens, ie. if there's oil on the road, a downed tree, etc.

Originally posted by The Necessary@Mar 16 2006, 11:50 AM

I personally think ASC/DSC should be not used to push the limits, but to save your ass if something unexpected happens, ie. if there's oil on the road, a downed tree, etc.
Thanks for the clarification.....

And I agree with your last point too....
Unfortunately with my step box, it's not so easy to modulate throttle going in and mid corner....

Originally posted by leakwoon@Mar 13 2006, 10:42 AM
yup

by default the indicator on the dashboard is light OFF means ASC is ON

we can press the ASC button to disable it
... i am confused of this .... is that mean when a ASC light ON on dashboard after ASC button is pressed mean it's inactive?? and no light mean it's active?? but manual say if ASC system active it must show it's blinking... correct me if i am wrong ... yesterday i am driving with ASC ON all the way and smiling with confidence of enabling ASC...! :(

If u depress the ASC button and the warning light comes on without blinking, it means ASC has been switched off.

If u depress the button and the warning light goes off, ASC is on standby (ready to activate when necessary) and will blink when ASC kicks in (note: the keyword is "blink", not "permanently lighted up").

Top Bottom