Appropriate choice of tires

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

esther_chan90

Club Guest
Apparently, a lot people out there having hard time to choose a good tires suit them. Choice of tires closely related to habit of driving. How u drive then choose what tires u need. Choices like seasonal tires, performances tires or mixing tires are the main ones. If you prefer speedy, then choose performances. if you often drive on wet and dry condition then choose seasonal. Pick new tires put it at rear axle of your car to ensure better performance.

New tyres on rear is not really about performance but for more so for safety. Less grip in front you suffer understeer of which is not as bad as the rear stepping out.

tyres now getting more & more expensive. trick is to identify good models from the lesser premium brands of tyre manufacturers.

Good tires like CSC5 is sticky, nice grip but expensive and wears out fast.
GY F1 AY2 is affordable but hardly got size for the staggered set up.
Michelin PS3 got size but rare also and price not cheap.
Pirelli P7 RFTs that came with all the new 3er some say too hard and doesn't last. Pricey as hell somemore.
GT Radial Champiro HPY is cheap and cheerful, plenty of grip but some say tires always cannot balance perfectly then got vibration.

All also wrong lah.

I saw the GT Radial SX2 at Sepang. Looks very promising. Ask Beemer how la. He bought a set.

tIANcI;843777 said:
New tyres on rear is not really about performance but for more so for safety. Less grip in front you suffer understeer of which is not as bad as the rear stepping out.

Actually with DSC on, there is a higher chance of the car understeering with less grippy front tyres compared to my rear stepping. Faced that during track day.

I am now currently using Nexen N8000 on my car. I like Nexen because it is cheap and it has way more grip to when I was previously using Goodyear AS2. Only problem with the Nexen is that it wears out fast (threadwear of 165 compared to Champiro HPY which has a threadwear of 300 IINM)

I thought the thread wear of Nexen 8000 is 280 instead of 165.

what to do... ? who ask our country produce more kelapa sawit and dun want to produce more rubber.. :)
anyway i heard there is one type of tyres namely Achilles 2233... I was told that that tyre is the best performance tyre available in the market.

tIANcI;843977 said:
N8000 only good for DD, tekan the tyre and hancur la ...

How la you tekan :p Actually other tyres you tekan also hancur. I had very good experience with the CSC5 which I tekan and hancurred.

Was my 3rd outing on Sepang. N8000 on the CRaZy. Did not drive as stupid as when I used the RE050. Chunking was unacceptable. Its not meant for harsh abuse. As a DD tyre, I like it a lot.

Running on Route 68 and Fraser's Hill it has sufficient grip. No complains. But as you say Mavik ... Tyre wear is fast. Mine about 18k almost touching the wear marker dy. Time to visit Quick Save!

recently continental came out with local made max contact..half the price for my rear 255/40/17

What about Achillies ? Anyone ver heard or used this brand before ?

esther_chan90;843776 said:
Apparently, a lot people out there having hard time to choose a good tires suit them. Choice of tires closely related to habit of driving. How u drive then choose what tires u need. Choices like seasonal tires, performances tires or mixing tires are the main ones. If you prefer speedy, then choose performances. if you often drive on wet and dry condition then choose seasonal. Pick new tires put it at rear axle of your car to ensure better performance.

Most of people have learn their lesson not to simply choose tire after had alot of bad experience down the road.... Y bother to spend twice instead of Get a good one that can save your life and money ! If is me I am very particular while choosing my tires.. for sure will only go for more long lasting product , High safety...give best driving comfort and all season traction. Those are the main reason for me to use Michelin Primacy 3ST....see here for more detail here http://www.michelin.com.my/Products-Services/Car-SUV-LT/passenger_car/Primacy_3_ST.html

Michelin PS3 - comfortable and last - its a little more expensive but its good

Although Michelin is expensive but i think safety is more important than anything. Just bought the newly launched Michelin Primacy 3ST. Haha. Really happy about it. Really smooth and quiet. Last time I used Hankook, really not as efficient and quiet as this.

Malaysia weather is always hot and humid ..it can just rains cats and dogs after hot sun. Therefore tyre that you have chosen must be flexible and can use for wet or dry road surface..It must give you superior grip either on mud surface, dirt or even rock. I noticed that until now not much people care about the quality of tyre...just go for cheap tires and only will give you more headache lo!

johnj;843996 said:
recently continental came out with local made max contact..half the price for my rear 255/40/17

My friend just bought 2 of these tires today. Max Contact 225/45/17 RM450 a piece as compared to Sport Contact same size about RM700. Thread design rather similar.

JDY;844008 said:
What about Achillies ? Anyone ver heard or used this brand before ?

Currently running Achilles ATR Sport. Seems to be ok. Overseas review also not bad. Try Googling it up "Achilles ATR Sport review" and go through the numerous feedbacks about it.

Top Bottom