Anti Roll Bar

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bazet

Club Guest
After installing Ultra Racing strut bar, my car handling dramatically improved and I'm seeking information on ARB. Does the size of Strut Bar affected handling ? Anyone know.But I do know size of ARB will affect handling.The stock E34 ARB size is Front: 23mm - Rear: 15mm.If I increase the rear, will make the rear harder and easier to oversetter ( and to correct my current understeer problem )But since we in Malaysia, who can manufacture ARB size that we want ? Or there is different thickness of ARB on sale for E34 out there ?My suspension is hard enough and the lowering is 40mm, the comfort ride is no more but replaced by improved agility provided by UR and lower + hard ride.Currently I've done some weight removal in the engine bay like - remove heat shield ( hood )- remove wiper sprayer kit including the tank- thinking of removing the battery to the rear trunk so got space for td05 turbo...wahh dreaming in daylight....Anyone out there upgraded thier ARB ? And what is the result ?

I donno if it's placebo or not but I also installed Zeneger's UR bar and I do notice quicker and more immediate turn in.I will follow Fabians suggestion and remove the bar after a week and compare.

Does strut bar size matter?I guess,if you go to the extremes,comparing a 1"dia bar to 3".What we want is to stop the strut towers from flexing and this desires an optimum diameter bar.

bazet......nah....some write up from mat Bruno's site........

Sway bars (anti-roll bar)

Sway bars tie the lower suspension components together accross the front and the back, they affect the car oversteer and understeer. Bigger sway bars improve stability while cornering, the best setting is fully soft for the front and hard for the back.

Stock: Front: 23mm - Rear: 15mm.
Sport suspension: Front: 24mm - Rear: 18mm.
M-Technic suspension/US E34 M5 3.6: Front: 31 35 2 226 333 - 25mm Rear: 33 55 2 226 507 - 18mm
Eibach: Front 26mm - Rear: 13mm. (yes, I called them to confirm)
Racing Dynamics: Front 27mm - Rear: 19mm.

Also there were Nuerburing (BMW's spelling) rear swaybars for the M5 Touring. These were the biggest rear bars ever offered. These may be the perfect complement to the 27mm bar offered by RD as their front rear ratios are highly biased to understeer and these may improve the situation somewhat. Rear 33 55 2 227 416 - 20mm

Information provided by Phaedrus

Strut bar (strut tower bar - strut brace)
They link the two opposite strut towers together. A good strut brace is design to reduce the flex in the strut towers when the car is in a corner. The flex is greater if the car is lowered.

A well designed strut bar is a must have if you track your E34, it will improve the chassis stiffness making the the steering quicker and more responsive... Perfect for the autocross.

Ok, why do I talk about a well designed bar?
The best bar would have no link to it and shouldn't be adjustable, because you want NO flex in the bar (it kind of defies the purpose). Else you will just buy a worthless piece of engine

Top Bottom