airflow-sensor

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

hartgeH5

Club Guest
wassup guys, need some feedback regarding this matter...would like to know how much does an airflow sensor cost..and if there is a fault in the system does it make the car jurk and loose power at the same time?? is there any other alternative way to check the system if it is functioning in proper manner?? Thanks

got mine change at RM1450 if I am not wrong as was a year back, my car refuse to push when i am overtaking, so sick change new. You may refer to DIY section for more info as it could be service and maybe yours will be ok then you will save the cost.

wah I didn't know so expensive for a new MAF sensor? I'd rather go for a piggyback like Microtech MT4 which does away with the MAF, if I'm not mistaken it is only RM2000+ and you can dynotune your car for extra horses.

Supposedly if the current one is still in good condition but dirty, u can clean it with a can of carburettor cleanor, just have to be careful not to damage the sensor.

It's AFM not MAF. AFM used the metal flap to gauge the amount of air passing thru, MAF used the hot wire element - less restricted. But best is using the MAP sensor in some Jap engine.

I got a recon one for RM600 last yr with 6 mths guarantee.....still working touch wood.

My friend got a second hand one for RM250....his has lasted > 2 yrs.

dude...i kindda confuised...is there anyway of repairing the air flow sensor since u mentioned...might save me some $$$...

You're talking about the Oxygen Sensor right? Cost me a few hundred ringgit at Auto Bavaria Penang a few weeks ago. Will get the receipt and confirm exactly how much later. Before I fixed it, the car was jerky and sluggish.

Originally posted by Stud_Daddy@Dec 21 2005, 01:06 AM
You're talking about the Oxygen Sensor right? Cost me a few hundred ringgit at Auto Bavaria Penang a few weeks ago. Will get the receipt and confirm exactly how much later. Before I fixed it, the car was jerky and sluggish.
It is not o2 sensor, it is Air Flow Sensor. Located right after the air filter. AFM can be serviced. Normally the mechanical flap is not working and in it early stage, a whack or two by your bare hand sometime will help.

Fab,

MAP? that sound interesting. Can story more? Thanks

Originally posted by hartgeH5@Dec 15 2005, 11:12 AM
wassup guys, need some feedback regarding this matter...would like to know how much does an airflow sensor cost..and if there is a fault in the system does it make the car jurk and loose power at the same time?? is there any other alternative way to check the system if it is functioning in proper manner?? Thanks
i changed my AFM about 1.5 years back and it costs me close to RM2000 (or about RM1700, if i remember the figure correctly). Looking at it, I guess the price I paid for is on a higher side since Rezzy got his for only RM1450

Sorry guys but 1 question,

is the o2 sensor and the air flow sensor two completely different things??

Originally posted by KingLazy@Jan 21 2006, 07:32 PM
Sorry guys but 1 question,

is the o2 sensor and the air flow sensor two completely different things??
yes..

The O2 sensor aka lambda probe is plugged along the exhaust pipe.
And the Air flow sensor is after the air filter. For your car, it's called Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF).

Thanks Fab,

What is the difference in their function though? I was told to have my o2sensor checked as it affects performance and consumption???

if the O2 sensor is faulty, it'll send incorrect signal to the DME consequently affect the performance of the engine

Originally posted by gwumpkus@Jan 22 2006, 08:15 AM
so there *is* an O2 sensor in an M40 engine??..:)
For the local E30 318i, it was not fitted with O2 sensor. But the imported ones have.

For E36, shud have aledi.

Your topic has been towed to the appropriate section, in the future please refer to the main forum page for guidance.
There will be a link from the original place of posting leading to the new place (This states the approriate place).
If this thread is a tech question and if you are not sure which catergory to post under, please post under general tech.
If this thread is a 'FS or WTB' then post in the classifieds.

Thank You

-The Moderator

my air flow sensor died on me last month.

my mech "serviced" it and its ok now....but its quite worrying...to get stranded again...luckily for AAM.

Anyway just wondering how much a new one is?

and whether it makes any difference to have a new one.

Top Bottom