Aircon foul smell & allergies

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

AT-Sixx

Club Guest
Dear friendsMy car developed a foul stale/chemical smell very recently emitting from the aircon. The smell would be at its worse when I first start the car.Apart from the initial annoyance of the smell, what prompted me to take a serious look at it was when my kids started showing signs of allergy during and after a ride in the car. After checking out with Google etc, we suspected mold / mildew formation in the cabin filter. Mold / mildew is bad news for allergy sufferers.I tried a few things to eradicate it - run the heater at full blast, switch off the ac but leave fan running 5 mins before destination (to clear moisture in system), silver nano misting the cabin with aircon running etc etc - nothing worked.Today, I got it replaced at my own cost and on inspection of the old cabin filter - it looked dark patchy grey but smelt pretty bad up close and it had white spots and patches every where. The technician was very nice to assist me in doing a wipe down of the filter box and surrounding and I sprayed some disinfectant there (I brought my own disinfectant).When I drove off my car, the foul smell was gone totally - tonight, when I fetch the kids - I hope everything will be all right.So friends, just be mindful of this aircon filter possibility especially for those with with allergies.BTW, the timeline to change the unit is at 40,000 km or 2 years (whichever is first) and my 328i is almost a year old at 20,000 km FYI. Also, I use recirculation mode 99% of the time.Cheers and stay safe people !

AT-Sixx;832409 said:
Dear friends

My car developed a foul stale/chemical smell very recently emitting from the aircon. The smell would be at its worse when I first start the car.

Apart from the initial annoyance of the smell, what prompted me to take a serious look at it was when my kids started showing signs of allergy during and after a ride in the car.

After checking out with Google etc, we suspected mold / mildew formation in the cabin filter. Mold / mildew is bad news for allergy sufferers.

I tried a few things to eradicate it - run the heater at full blast, switch off the ac but leave fan running 5 mins before destination (to clear moisture in system), silver nano misting the cabin with aircon running etc etc - nothing worked.

Today, I got it replaced at my own cost and on inspection of the old cabin filter - it looked dark patchy grey but smelt pretty bad up close and it had white spots and patches every where.

The technician was very nice to assist me in doing a wipe down of the filter box and surrounding and I sprayed some disinfectant there (I brought my own disinfectant).

When I drove off my car, the foul smell was gone totally - tonight, when I fetch the kids - I hope everything will be all right.

So friends, just be mindful of this aircon filter possibility especially for those with with allergies.

BTW, the timeline to change the unit is at 40,000 km or 2 years (whichever is first) and my 328i is almost a year old at 20,000 km FYI. Also, I use recirculation mode 99% of the time.

Cheers and stay safe people !

Thanks for sharing bro...
Yes the micro filter need to be clean n replace when it is due...

keta aku standet je...tak apa kan...

Yes bro, micro filter mesti replace when due - just for other forumers to be careful that sometimes, perhaps its better to change ahead of schedule.

It's the same principle like the 'free' maintenance issue ie 25,000km per oil change (some more this figure differs from SA to SA etc) - I personally feel it's a bit 'stretched' and most of us would do oil change at own cost in between.

So aircon microfilter, same issue perhaps. Anyway drivers, beware and be wary !

Yes bro AT-Sixx you are truely right...
Me even semi-synthetic oil just let roll up to 6000km for the next change...

Just an update. Kids didn't have any allergy reactions just now !
So it was the freaking filter n mold in it.

Just another observation to share, rightly or wrongly. I recall experiencing occasional water drips at driver n front passenger side before when aircon was running. Perhaps some dripped into the filter area or just increased the moisture level in that small cramped area to foster mold/mildew formation.

Cheers

AT-Sixx;832581 said:
Just an update. Kids didn't have any allergy reactions just now !
So it was the freaking filter n mold in it.

Just another observation to share, rightly or wrongly. I recall experiencing occasional water drips at driver n front passenger side before when aircon was running. Perhaps some dripped into the filter area or just increased the moisture level in that small cramped area to foster mold/mildew formation.

Cheers

Good for you bro....
Well the drips show that your drainage outlet pipe is block/clog..spider web may be...

Volvos525i;832607 said:
Yes also can hehehe...
But actually if the air cond system is functioning well not need to use ionizer...
Just a bottle of ambi pure is good enough...cheers..:rock:

No, it is different. Air fresheners only masks the bad odor (either making molecules heavy or changing the molecules to fool your nose). They don't actually eliminate mould, bacteria or dust. Ionizers have been proven that it also reduces allergens.

Just mho...

Also my SA from Quill told me not to use air freshener after they replaced my cooling coil.

BenedictC;832613 said:
No, it is different. Air fresheners only masks the bad odor (either making molecules heavy or changing the molecules to fool your nose). They don't actually eliminate mould, bacteria or dust. It has been proven that it also reduces allergens.

Just mho...

Also my SA from Quill told me not to use air freshener after they replaced my cooling coil.

Well agreed with you bro...
But I have never use ionizer at all...
Once in a while switch to outside ventilation then back to interior recirclation...:rock:

Have service center change the micro filter, no charge under BSRI. Mine had a chemical smell before the change, now it is ok

willy5;832693 said:
Have service center change the micro filter, no charge under BSRI. Mine had a chemical smell before the change, now it is ok

Good to hear that bro...:thumbup:

willy5;832693 said:

Thanks for the note bro - unfortunately, was told complimentary change only at set 'service interval' which for my car is 40,000km or 2 yrs which ever is shorter *haish*

So I didnt 'qualify' then but heck it was urgent so no choice - pay lor . . .

AT-Sixx;832715 said:
Thanks for the note bro - unfortunately, was told complimentary change only at set 'service interval' which for my car is 40,000km or 2 yrs which ever is shorter *haish*

Yeaa what to do right as long prob solved.

AT-Sixx;832715 said:

Mine was done at 20K Km...strange that there is a difference for change intervals

willy5;832765 said:
Mine was done at 20K Km...strange that there is a difference for change intervals

FYI, mine was replaced 4 times, 2 was before the next service interval. I was experiencing mouldy smell when I start the car in the morning, possibly due to high humidity.

Can try to talk to the SA and they will usually settle for you without hassle.

Bro willy5 - thanks for sharing. Am perplexed that a luxury brand is not transparent in its change/replacement policy *haish*

Bro BenedictC - i suspect you have have a leak in the system where the AC water condensation is perhaps dripping back and messing with the microfilter. you could consider asking them to open it up n check kau kau bcos your rate of change is very high. there must be some other factor involved. its not a good idea to have mold/mildew spores in our lungs !

Cheerz

AT-Sixx;832796 said:
Bro willy5 - thanks for sharing. Am perplexed that a luxury brand is not transparent in its change/replacement policy *haish*

Bro BenedictC - i suspect you have have a leak in the system where the AC water condensation is perhaps dripping back and messing with the microfilter. you could consider asking them to open it up n check kau kau bcos your rate of change is very high. there must be some other factor involved. its not a good idea to have mold/mildew spores in our lungs !

Cheerz

They have checked, cleaned and even replaced the cooling coil. At the moment there's no smell. The humidity in my area is high at times..

Thanks for the suggestion.

Top Bottom