Air Cond Freezing in the Tropic???

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Shiroutsuri

Club Guest
On the NS Highway yesterday morning form Penang to KL on my E60, the air cond volume coming out from the vents suddenly wasn't cold & lack blowing intensity though you can hear the blower blowing strongly. This happen despite blower at maximum level. Was told today that it might be the programming by BMW technician. However its interesting to note the explanation from my SA that the air cond should not be set at too low a temperature (mine set at 18ºC) for long distance without outside air as it will freeze the air cond which subsequently resulted in the above situation. Sounds logical to me ... what do you think?:rock:

i have the exact same problem like u, but mine is E46, mine was the cooling coil, not sure about yours

i feel like bmw's air cond is not as cold as other car. my family complained it. dun know whether something wrong with my car or not. even my friend who drive honda and wira also asking me the same question.

Set it in auto....should be safe enough. Manual mode does not allow for cut off to take place. After a continous 3-4 hrs, what happened to you normally takes place. This happened to me in my other ride. Ever since then, set it in auto mode. Another thing is that a good tint layer will definitely help. Less effort needed to cool the cabin. Just my 2 cents

em .... sound logical. shd try later go home :) thanks

another quick question, do u guys turn off a/c before the engine? or u guys let the a/c stay on before turn on ya engine? My SA said no need to worry abt it. just let the a/c always on wor ...

Shiroutsuri;303826 said:
On the NS Highway yesterday morning form Penang to KL on my E60, the air cond volume coming out from the vents suddenly wasn't cold & lack blowing intensity though you can hear the blower blowing strongly. This happen despite blower at maximum level. Was told today that it might be the programming by BMW technician. However its interesting to note the explanation from my SA that the air cond should not be set at too low a temperature (mine set at 18ºC) for long distance without outside air as it will freeze the air cond which subsequently resulted in the above situation. Sounds logical to me ... what do you think?:rock:

bro, you microfilter is choked lah.. get it change and it would solve the problem of freezing. The problem when the micro filter is chocked, the air cannot be circulated properly from the suction of the AHU blower. When air flow is reduced, the temperature at the outlet of the AHU will think that the air is hot and will keep the compressor from cutting out and cause the freezing. This is similar to your house aircon when the filter is choked and you will see ice forming on the aluminium fins of the aircon.

jarance;304310 said:
bro, you microfilter is choked lah.. get it change and it would solve the problem of freezing. The problem when the micro filter is chocked, the air cannot be circulated properly from the suction of the AHU blower. When air flow is reduced, the temperature at the outlet of the AHU will think that the air is hot and will keep the compressor from cutting out and cause the freezing. This is similar to your house aircon when the filter is choked and you will see ice forming on the aluminium fins of the aircon.

Jarance,
Sounds perfectly logical but my ride is only at 3,000km!!! ... will the microfilter be choked at such low mileage?

Keeekee,
You should have your a/c checked. Mine is very cold la. By the way, enjoy your blog.

:top:

Shiroutsuri;304342 said:
Jarance,
Sounds perfectly logical but my ride is only at 3,000km!!! ... will the microfilter be choked at such low mileage?

Keeekee,
You should have your a/c checked. Mine is very cold la. By the way, enjoy your blog.

Very unlikely for the filter to get choked at 3,000Km. May I suggest that you take it back to agent since it is still warranty for a check up.

Shiroutsuri;304342 said:
Jarance,

Keeekee,

i tried the auto a/c it seem cooler. but still dun really understand how to set it :p
lazy to read the manual hehehehehehe thanks for drop by my blog :)

keeekeee;304300 said:
em .... sound logical. shd try later go home :) thanks

another quick question, do u guys turn off a/c before the engine? or u guys let the a/c stay on before turn on ya engine? My SA said no need to worry abt it. just let the a/c always on wor ...

Bro, there're different school of thought on this, one says it ok to start the engine cold with the a/c on, the other says otherwise. For me, i practise the latter. Others have any thoughts one this????:106:

BTW, the dew point of water is 18 degC. It might help if the temperature is set slightly higher . 20 degC maybe

Top Bottom