Advice on Rim Size

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

mezar10

Club Guest
My x5 comes with 18" original BMW alloy wheels with 255/55 tire size.I am thinking of changing it to 19" original BMW alloy wheels with 250/50 Tire sizeWhat do you think? Will this affect the performance of my car? What are the advantages and disadvantages.My primary reason to change is that :1. New x5 sold by BMW comes with 19" 250/50 size anyway2. The 18" rim sizes looks a bit small on my x5However, I am currently enjoying the agility if the x5 with the 18" rim. Because it is smaller, it is extremely superb at acceleration and it does feel light.thanks

My stock ride came with 19" and the ride was quite comfortable and no qualms on acceleration or overtaking cars. But I personally find the 19" too small comparing the size of the X so I custom ordered the style 336 from quill auto as it was not available locally. But I do feel a slight loss of power due to the massive wheels and tyres as they're staggered at 275/40 and 315/35. But the massive stability improvement at high speed cornering plus the fierce looking 20" wheels made up for the deficiency. Will post actual pics soon to poison you :)

1_600.jpg

pratt;700111 said:
But I do feel a slight loss of power due to the massive wheels and tyres as they're staggered at 275/40 and 315/35.

pratt, just wondering... when you have staggered wheels like yours, is the rim size/dimension different too? Or can it be the same? How to tell?

With staggered wheels, the rim size is different as the front is 11J and the rear 12J. The main disadvantage is you cant rotate the tyres eveytime you do your wheel balancing and alignment to even out the wear. Outlook wise, if you have sharp eyes, the rear rims when viewed at an angle, the center part(lock nuts) "sucks" in deeper than the front wheels. But as i mentioned, the fierce look of the rims and added stability of the ride beats the disadvantage more, personally for me.

pratt;701018 said:
With staggered wheels, the rim size is different as the front is 11J and the rear 12J. The main disadvantage is you cant rotate the tyres eveytime you do your wheel balancing and alignment to even out the wear. Outlook wise, if you have sharp eyes, the rear rims when viewed at an angle, the center part(lock nuts) "sucks" in deeper than the front wheels. But as i mentioned, the fierce look of the rims and added stability of the ride beats the disadvantage more, personally for me.

Thanks to you brother, I read up a few articles on rim sizing.. so you're saying the rim is 11J x 19 and 12J x 19 - rim width being 11 and 12 inches, right?

All these while, i know tyre sizing, but never know how to read rim sizing. I was told, sometimes the rim is of the same size all around eventhough the tyres are staggered. This gives you the opportunity to move away from staggered tyres should you wish to.

Now I need to go look up my X3's wheels and see the rim sizes.

Top Bottom