ADVICE ON MY E30 318i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
EEEE30;469358 said:
"Stroking a motor is simply changing the length of the stroke. If you make it longer the displacement increases and bigger inches usually equals more HP. If you have two motors that are equal except for bore and stroke, the one with the longer stroke will make more torque than the short stroke motor. The short stroke motor however will rev quicker because the slugs have less distance to travel. "

That basically explains what stroking means. But the main thing is that you have to be gentle with stroked motors and some people concern about reliability of the motor.

Reading you other posts, I figured you have a 318. If I were you, I would do the m20b25 swap into your e30 and be happy with it. m40 and m20 are worlds apart when it comes to performance.

M40 and M42 are aledi worlds apart, both being 1.8... 115hp and 140hp... lighter and more horsepower than the M20B20... ;)

E30 325i would be faster than the E30 318is (with the M42) in a straight line. Stock vs Stock.
But the E30 318is would be more fun to chuck around in windy B-roads like ulu yam. Thanks to the lighter 4pot engine...

fabianyee;469367 said:
M40 and M42 are aledi worlds apart, both being 1.8... 115hp and 140hp... lighter and more horsepower than the M20B20... ;)

E30 325i would be faster than the E30 318is (with the M42) in a straight line. Stock vs Stock.
But the E30 318is would be more fun to chuck around in windy B-roads like ulu yam. Thanks to the lighter 4pot engine...

I wasn't comparing m40 and m42, I said m40 and m20 (in this case m20b25).
Why would someone wants to go from slow m40 to another slow motor like m42? might as well go for a m20b25 or a m50.
Weight wise there is not much of a different (m42 is 100kg and m20b25 is somewhere between 110kg-117kg), but m20b25 produces about 30 more horses.
Sorry I've never drivven a 318 before but I hear lot of horror stories about how 318 begin so slow, but e30 body is a clever design and weigh distribution is near perfect. I personnaly do not belive just 'cos m42 is 17kg less weigh, it can out perform m20b25 in a streight line or in curves.

EEEE30;469387 said:
Why would someone wants to go from slow m40 to another slow motor like m42? might as well go for a m20b25 or a m50.

I think that you should never issue statements like this before you have done your homework. M42 slow? Maybe you should join our convoys sometime.

There is also a very critical reason why some want to retain 4cycl : weight distribution.

kevster30;469410 said:
I think that you should never issue statements like this before you have done your homework. M42 slow? Maybe you should join our convoys sometime.

There is also a very critical reason why some want to retain 4cycl : weight distribution.

hahah sorry if I offense anyone. I'm sure you have a very fast m42, but I've never owned a 318 all my life and have no intention to own one, specially after driving m20b27, m20b25, and m50b25 cars. If I ever want to buy a 4 cylinder engine car, that would be e30m3 nothing less, nothing more.

EEEE30;469422 said:
hahah sorry if I offense anyone. I'm sure you have a very fast m42, but I've never owned a 318 all my life and have no intention to own one, specially after driving m20b27, m20b25, and m50b25 cars. If I ever want to buy a 4 cylinder engine car, that would be e30m3 nothing less, nothing more.

That's why they say ignorance is bliss :top:

The E30 318is vs E30 325i is hotly debated everywhere... Those who owned both have good things to say to both... Only someone who hasn't driven one would dis the M42...

The motoring world gave the E30 318is the moniker of 'Baby M3' and the E36 318is was rated as the best overall model in the E36 range... It's got to be something about the M42 to deserve such accolades.

fabianyee;469441 said:
The E30 318is vs E30 325i is hotly debated everywhere... Those who owned both have good things to say to both... Only someone who hasn't driven one would dis the M42...

The motoring world gave the E30 318is the moniker of 'Baby M3' and the E36 318is was rated as the best overall model in the E36 range... It's got to be something about the M42 to deserve such accolades.

See this where u get it all wrong. This whole thread is not about which bmw motor is the best. This is about making OP's slow car go fast a bit. Plus who dis the m42? I said, m42s are relativley slow when compare to what I previosly drove/owned e30's. If someone given a chance to pick m42, m20b25, m50b25, which one will b selected? I know i woudn't pick m42. That is my point. I do not see any valid point by you are going through a whole lot to change a motor and ended up swapping a same size motor with only 20hp more (m40--->m42)
Pls don't get heart broken, i know you guys have mad fast e30's here that i never seen before , I did not mention anything to dis anyones ride here.
I rest my case

I'm always fond of the 6 cylinders older bmw mainly the m20's and m30's for its performance and also being bullet proof and easy to work with especially for a dummy like me. However, If i were to have another E30 or E36 for that matter, I would seriously consider m42 for the transplant. For a 4 potter, its a bang for the bucks and with a lot of potentials. In a nut shell, I also believe a well sorted m42 might have a great chance to out perform m20's probably in a streight line or more likely in curves.

miepower;469454 said:
I'm always fond of the 6 cylinders older bmw mainly the m20's and m30's for its performance and also being bullet proof and easy to work with especially for a dummy like me. However, If i were to have another E30 or E36 for that matter, I would seriously consider m42 for the transplant. For a 4 potter, its a bang for the bucks and with a lot of potentials. In a nut shell, I also believe a well sorted m42 might have a great chance to out perform m20's probably in a streight line or more likely in curves.

......and Fabian's the living proof of that :top:

Converting from M40 to M42 has its merits. There's significantly less mods required as the M42 is based on the M40. And the M42 available for transplant are also newer as most of these came mainly from the E36 where the production of M42 stopped sometime in 1995. For the M20, production stopped together with the E30 cabriolet. The cabriolet stopped production later than the E30 sedan for a year or so..

Comparatively, the M42 requires less maintenance compared to the M20. it has less spark plugs, less oil needed. No need to worry about snapped timing belts cos it runs duplex timing chain which can last at least 300,000kms.. It's basically a pump petrol and go engine... Can go track day and long distance drive back to back and still wont complain and won't run out of tune... That's what I like about the engine. For my 6 long years using the M42, it didn't require an overnight stay at the workshop, and I use the car everyday.

Went for drives with various car clubs and they were all surprised with what the E30 with M42 can do.. "1.8 only?? sure or not... " that's the usual response...

Well to me, M40 to M42 conversion is worth the 'only 20 hp' upgrade. The engine feel and driving experience is a big jump from the lazy M40... But running cost is similar to the M40..

It's like this lar....the six potters are great engines, but once in a while BMW engineers do design a killer 4 potter and the M42 is it.

6 pott or 4 pott, still e30 lar....still puts a smile on your face everytime you turn the key!

Daily driver gimme the 6 potter cos of torque, for gymkhana/track days the 4 potter is king!

i'm missing the feel of my m40 ...easy to maintain and easy to handle in corners and so on ... there's a big change of the weight distribution and getting used to an M50 " ain't easy "....

especially when comes to braking on high speed , corners the m50 is kindda hard / heavy compared to the m40 ....

ICEMAN 13;469522 said:
i'm missing the feel of my m40 ...easy to maintain and easy to handle in corners and so on ... there's a big change of the weight distribution and getting used to an M50 " ain't easy "....

especially when comes to braking on high speed , corners the m50 is kindda hard / heavy compared to the m40 ....

Want private lessons ar bai?:top::listen:

Top Bottom