Advice needed on my dream

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

initialM

Official Member
Dear All/Sifus, Since I might keep my E39 528 & E46 328 been toying around my head to get another E38 728 this year. My budget would be the single vanos which I find easier & cheaper to maintain. With these fleet I will keep them forever. With current petrol subsidy issue do you guys think I will burden myself later. As I will keep the cars for another more than 30 years, am I goin to have problem maintaining the cars for repairs & spare parts? I cant afford new car but I want to have debt free car in another 5 years.After that I will only pay exorbitant road tax & repairs/maintenance. Your sincere advice on my dream of BMW junk collection is very much appreciated.:smokin:

Bro, ask yourself about your family income and expenses 1st. If everything goes well and preparation are perfect for life incident, then just go ahead!

bmw7833;484615 said:
Bro, ask yourself about your family income and expenses 1st. If everything goes well and preparation are perfect for life incident, then just go ahead!

What do u mean by life incident? Actually I'm more worry on long term maintenance.
As you know once I go ahead there will be no turning back. As I'm fussy on cars cant help to spend a lot on them & let say anything happened I cant easily dispose them at good price. But been having below nightmare now & then:cool:

E38 is the best looking 7 series ever:rock:

[video=youtube;0-4DyjtuETU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-4DyjtuETU[/video]

I am agree with u, e38 is simply awesome!

Life incident? U should know that there have many uncertain factor in our life, we are not the one who control it. We have to prepare for it. May be i am 'kiasi' type ppl, so i am thinking too much.

e38 is an extra car for u, right? Why not wait for another few years? May be i can join u to hunt one at that time..:rock:

This is not only xtra car but more on collection. I only use 1 car daily. Since all my cars are old junk I cant easily sell at good price. If I buy another E38 I would have to keep all my car forever. I think I can afford but I'm more worry on maintaining them in future let say another 10 to 20 yrs. I got less than 20k for E39 & 40k for E46 outstanding balance. Both my 3 & 5 installment is less than RM1.5k/mth. Initially plan to wait until the E39 settle only then go for E38 but cannot tahan looking at cheaper E38 nowadays. Will my BMW become obselete in future?

I think if you want to be a serious collector and plan to keep them forever, why not keep one car for your daily ride and start collecting M3s and M5s. Doesn't matter which model (E36, E46, E28, E39) as long as they are from the M division. I didn't mean M sport cars, but real M cars. Initially you have to spend a little bit more but the reward will come in the later years. My 2 centrino.

I agree that the E38 is the most elegant of them all. And for that reason, I have always thought the E39 nicer than the E60.

Deep down, you know...it'll never end.

funfer_fahrer;484930 said:
I think if you want to be a serious collector and plan to keep them forever, why not keep one car for your daily ride and start collecting M3s and M5s. Doesn't matter which model (E36, E46, E28, E39) as long as they are from the M division. I didn't mean M sport cars, but real M cars. Initially you have to spend a little bit more but the reward will come in the later years. My 2 centrino.

Bot a bad idea..but ///M car still high in price now.

the 38 is a favourite... go fr it... im sure u will be making more by then... ;)

gd luck..

funfer_fahrer;484930 said:

Nice options but I'm not that rich. If got 3 X 2.8 cars, roadtax already cost RM1,612 x 3. For ///M car dun bother to calculate not to mention parts also times 3 or 5:listen:

i agree with funfer.. buy an ///M car, keep it forever. i'm not rich myself, but God willing the E36 variant ought to be within my affordability soon. trouble is finding one..

Hey InitialM,

Here are my thoughts, 2 cents worth having own an E38 myself

1. If looking for single vanos variant, you're then in the 1994 - 1998 market. Most likely you will find one in the 1996/97 year of make. The price ranges between RM45k - RM60k dependent on condition etc. Because of the year of make, it also rules out commercial financing, however financing at higher interest rates for shorter terms are possible e.g. Public Bank offers 6% for 4 years etc for a 1996 car. That's alot of interest to pay. So in reality, you may end up having to purchase your dream 1996/7 E38 Single Vanos for cash

2. Just like any dream ride which is gorgeous in asthetics (and I fully agree that it is by far the most gorgeous 7 series ever made, maybe the F02 is coming close la heheheheh) and ride comfort with all the bells and whistles....maintenance will cost you a fair bit. In my opinion, the E38 I own was very well maintained previously, but with any car that is like 12/13 years old, you would expect wear and tear that needs careful attention. Based on reading your E39/E46 thread, you are a perfectionist for the perfect UDM...not just talk, but you walk it!!! That's absolutely admirable, so expect maybe a 10% - 20% hike on the current maintenance costs of your E39 for the E38, in my humble opinion

3. My personal opinion is that making the monthly payments and roadtax/insurance on a car is not the test, because generally you know your limits and you can work with 1 or even 3 cars with your set budget. E.g if you wish to spend RM4k a month on a car instalment, you could choose to buy a brand new E65 525i, or you could buy 2, 2nd hand UDM's and still have some spare change. Choice = opportunity cost. My consideration has always been the unexpected maintenance, which I guarantee you is something one will experience at least once, if not more in their ownership of an aged car, whatever make it maybe. Unexpected = big cash layout at one go : )

4. I am a true believer of you only live once, so enjoy. But I am also a true believer of never throw good money over bad. I personally would feel the heat owning 2, what more 3, 2.8 litre cars!!! But I do admire your style, dedication and love for your UDM's....it is truly insipiring.

Let me share with you a dream that my mom every once in a while reminds me off...when I was 13 years old, my mom reminds me that I said to her that my dream would be to own a 3, 5 and 7 series, all at the same time. I have achieved half of my dream, i.e. at some stage of my life todate I have owned a 3, 5 and 7 series UDM, but never simultaneously......I am yet to grow the ***** to live my dream!!!!

So InitialM, having said all that I have said......you should live your dream

And if you do go for an E38, pls don't start a blog on it....cause I know i'm gonna go broke wanting to follow in your footsteps....hahahahaha...tak boleh tahan

All the best man!

Cheers - Serjit

hello....

kejap mau jual,
kejap mau beli rumah,
kejap mau simpan,
kejap mau tambah bini,

must ask yourself..... What you want in life...... sendiri mau tanya sendiri mau jawab....

cabutzzzzzzzzzz

If I can, I'll get a real deal E30 M3.. That gem is can command more $$$ than an E46 M3 in the UK.... but too bad I'm not in UK.. haaha.. And getting a real deal E30 M3 in Malaysia is not easy... Most owners won't part with it..

fabianyee;485048 said:
If I can, I'll get a real deal E30 M3.. That gem is can command more $$$ than an E46 M3 in the UK.... but too bad I'm not in UK.. haaha.. And getting a real deal E30 M3 in Malaysia is not easy... Most owners won't part with it..

Some old school cars are pure legends.:top:

Go for it man. Its the best looking 7.

Am looking forward to an addition to the MyUDM thread by initialM. :top:

initialM;484969 said:
Nice options but I'm not that rich. If got 3 X 2.8 cars, roadtax already cost RM1,612 x 3. For ///M car dun bother to calculate not to mention parts also times 3 or 5:listen:

Brader...those who collect //M cars only pay the roadtax once in their lifetime. That's what most of the collectors do. Itu pun 6 bulan aje. The car stays in the carage most of the time. Maybe, you take it out for a spin once every fortnightly. Lepas tu masuk garage balik. Kena sama kalu, bayar la. RM300 VS RM11,000 road tax. OK what?

Top Bottom