ABS relay problem

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

vinode

Club Guest
Dear Friends,I have been having some problem with my ABS for a while now. I think most of us have had this problem from time to time. I've had nagging ABS issues with both my Beemers:( . The problem is the light comes on during critical times when you don't dare drive without ABS like during the rain etc. Sometimes I turn the engine off and the light goes off during next start but lately the lights stay ON more often than not. The diagnostic tool points to "ABS relay" and I have put it off for too long. I'm thinking of changing the ABS control block (since the relay can't be replaced individually:confused: ) and was advised by my mechanic to get a used one (with warranty). I drive a '97 e39 523i. Anybody have experience with used ABS control block? How much would the price differ between a used and a new one? Appreciate any feedback. Cheers.

Vinode,

If you are talking about the ABS module, then I have changed mine. Costed me about 2.8k for new and RM 200 for reprogramming work. For for a used one, you could potentially get one for about 1.5k. Not sure about warrantylah. Most dealers will not give it given then its a used unit.

My view is if the dealer can give decent warranty then by all means get a used one. If you look at eBay in the US/UK, they can even refurbish your OWN CURRENT module for about RM 1.5K with 2 year warranty! Not sure if you can drive the car without it though. Probably xmas lights on the dash... :p

Go here.

vinode said:
Dear Friends,
I have been having some problem with my ABS for a while now. I think most of us have had this problem from time to time. I've had nagging ABS issues with both my Beemers:( . The problem is the light comes on during critical times when you don't dare drive without ABS like during the rain etc. Sometimes I turn the engine off and the light goes off during next start but lately the lights stay ON more often than not. The diagnostic tool points to "ABS relay" and I have put it off for too long. I'm thinking of changing the ABS control block (since the relay can't be replaced individually:confused: ) and was advised by my mechanic to get a used one (with warranty). I drive a '97 e39 523i. Anybody have experience with used ABS control block? How much would the price differ between a used and a new one? Appreciate any feedback. Cheers.

My ride is e39 523i 2000. I once had the ABS and EML lights came on. Initially it was intermittent. Sometimes both lights went off on the next start. When both the lights stay, I experienced loss of power (cant drive faster then 60 kph).
From intermittent it became more and more frequent. Went to a 1st mechanic, the diagnostic pointed to ABS problem. Went to another mechanic, diagnostic pointed to EML. Went to AB, and they had a thorough check. Check related wiring and suspect the O2 sensor. Cleaned the O2 sensor plus changed a relay and the ABS light gone. Left only the EML. AB was professional enough to check for other possible problems and eventually identified EML as the culprit. Changed the EML and the problem resolved.
Better have AB to check so that at least you changed the correct part.
FYI, EML from AB is about 1800. ABS control unit from AB= more than 4K (verbally told, outside mechanic will charge about 2800 and about 150-200 for labour charge) and O2 sendor from ABabout 1500 (about there, cant remember actual figure).
My advise, for such problem, get AB to look into. I have to pre-warn that changing those parts are easy and fast, but have to wait a couple of days as AB needs to order form Johor or Spore.
Good luck

I'm in Johor actually and most of the Beemer gang here don't think highly of AB. The problem is pin pointed accurately as I have visited three different mechanics in the past 2 years and all have same opinion of what's wrong. I have read the very e-bay ad that azwanb sent before about refurbishing the module but alas nobody's really willing to do it here (let alone doing a good job at it). Anyway thanks for the tips and price comparisons... Next week I'll have them replaced. Thanks.

sorry vinode, i would like to correct my thread above. It was not the ABS light but the ASC light and EML. So your problem could be different.
Anyway I still think you can send to AB for checking but not replacing the parts. I would say AB has better equipment to diagnos.
Anyway, you make the call. The reason why I sent to AB was because some forummers recommended so but the main reason was due to I had different solutions from different mechanics.

Top Bottom