745iL E66 fuel comsuption

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Jamesc

Club Guest
Anyone own a 745iL E66 here? can share some experience? i would like to know the fuel consumption & mantainance compare to 735iL, thanks.

Full tank is about 80l. Should be good for 450km with mostly highway & 100km/h+ speeds. Range will obviously drop with traffic, and consumption would be quite high in heavily congested city driving. Plus points is that the V8 is smooth, and 330+hp is useful. Car does 140km/h in top gear @ 2500rpm, and 170km/h @ 3000rpm, so it's a real good highway cruiser. Will recommend 745 over 735 if you have a lot of cruising.

Maintenance isn't that bad, as long as you get one that's '05+. They would've worked out the issues by then. the 6HP gearbox always will have small issues, but before you buy, check for transmission slams as the car downshifts to a stop. Check for issues with the power steering, and air suspension. The car eats brakes a bit faster than you'd expect, but that's due to clamping 2 tons down from quite high speeds frequently. Don't take one without FBMWSH. Other than that, most electrical, A/C, engine systems seem to have held well for about 6 years, with no real problems in the horizon except for normal wear and tear on the suspension bushings and such.

j0shua;537903 said:
Full tank is about 80l. Should be good for 450km with mostly highway & 100km/h+ speeds. Range will obviously drop with traffic, and consumption would be quite high in heavily congested city driving. Plus points is that the V8 is smooth, and 330+hp is useful. Car does 140km/h in top gear @ 2500rpm, and 170km/h @ 3000rpm, so it's a real good highway cruiser. Will recommend 745 over 735 if you have a lot of cruising.

Maintenance isn't that bad, as long as you get one that's '05+. They would've worked out the issues by then. the 6HP gearbox always will have small issues, but before you buy, check for transmission slams as the car downshifts to a stop. Check for issues with the power steering, and air suspension. The car eats brakes a bit faster than you'd expect, but that's due to clamping 2 tons down from quite high speeds frequently. Don't take one without FBMWSH. Other than that, most electrical, A/C, engine systems seem to have held well for about 6 years, with no real problems in the horizon except for normal wear and tear on the suspension bushings and such.

Thanks for the info, I'm cruising most of the time, north-south highway. I'm now thinking which to go 735 or745. The fuel consumption looks higher compare to my x5. Hope to get one soon. FBMWSCH?

Full BMW Service History. Check the service card. Car should have regular servicing and oil changes (I do mine every 10k).

745 better on highways. Smoother, overtakes easily, long legs. You might find some with relatively low mileage, some towkays just drive from home to office to golf club and back. Take your time to find a good one.

they are so cheap used. i've seen a 2002 745Li for only rm159k, keep in mind they're like 800-900k when new. but of course 2002 is very first batch so a bit of a gamble. 03-04 should be around 200k or so. 735 and 745 are both v8 so they smooth and silent

I was told, the higher the engine displacement, the lower the resell value due to road tax. If not mistaken 745 is 8k+ under personal registration.

JJTan;540207 said:
I was told, the higher the engine displacement, the lower the resell value due to road tax. If not mistaken 745 is 8k+ under personal registration.

Yes to both counts.

But it is hard to quantify the emotional value of cruising at 160km/h, under 3k rpm, with a v8 gently humming in the front as you sink into the perforated leather seats, with its air bladders gently massaging your bum as the air conditioning and seat ventilation keep you nicely chilled as others are sweating it out in the tropical sun, and knowing that you're driving a car that so many aspire to own but can only see once in a while, overtaking them in a blur of speed.

Hi j0shua,

any idea about the 645i? 645i should b using the same engine as 745i I think. 645i is using N62B44, any know problem to this engine?

yup. once driven the mighty 7s. there not many other cars u can change to. 2 weeks ago, there was this Bentley Flying Spur over take my car so smoothly. wonder how it feels to drive a W12 engine beast?!

DigitalPunk;540348 said:
Hi j0shua,

any idea about the 645i? 645i should b using the same engine as 745i I think. 645i is using N62B44, any know problem to this engine?

645 shares same engine. 333hp v8. It's a strong and solid engine, no real problems after 5 years. Just keep it maintained well with regular 10k km services. V8 of this size will of course makan a bit of petrol, but compared to a 530i there's very little difference. This v8 is not a high revving maniacal engine, mind. It's a cruising engine, redlines at 6500rpm and pulls very smoothly, which is why they plonked it into a limo and a GT. However, if you hit the kickdown button, it runs through the rev range very quickly and hits the redline before you know it, so you have to be fast with manual upshifts, cos the auto will hold it in the red zone for a second longer than you'd be comfortable with. As with most ZF 6HP equipped BMWs, the weak link will be the transmission, so make absolutely sure it's been taken care of well, and you don't hear or feel and little clunks or slams as you move through the gears or into neutral or reverse.

DigitalPunk;540371 said:
yup. once driven the mighty 7s. there not many other cars u can change to. 2 weeks ago, there was this Bentley Flying Spur over take my car so smoothly. wonder how it feels to drive a W12 engine beast?!

Not only driving. Once you fall asleep in the back of an E66, nothing else short of a RR or Bents feels the same (of course these two are on a different level). S-Classes have their seats far too low. The new 7 doesn't feel the same either, it's not quite as comfortable. The E66 just feels right, the legroom is huge, and you sit on a raised seat, so it's like a throne. I have it set to recline a lot, so sleeping there on the way back from work is actually really very comfortable, even with EDC Sports :)

thanks for so many inputs n for sure i know what to do :) but i might still stay with 735il not the 745il cause the roadtax really a killer for me, thanks guys.
:wink:

j0shua;540290 said:
Yes to both counts.

But it is hard to quantify the emotional value of cruising at 160km/h, under 3k rpm, with a v8 gently humming in the front as you sink into the perforated leather seats, with its air bladders gently massaging your bum as the air conditioning and seat ventilation keep you nicely chilled as others are sweating it out in the tropical sun, and knowing that you're driving a car that so many aspire to own but can only see once in a while, overtaking them in a blur of speed.

Yea, i get that look from people i overtake on highways...

Have u make up ur decision ???
735il i suggest , as the road tax is a huge different in amout ..
735 roughly 4k+ ...
and it is not lack of power ....
As the comment above , if u spend most of ur time driving on Highway u may go for 745

elwine30;540358 said:
Once you have smitten by the 7 series, there is no TURNING BACK. ;).

I agree with you completely.. Saya sudah kena, dont think will look for others 7 series is the best!!!

Jamesc;538303 said:
Thanks for the info, I'm cruising most of the time, north-south highway. I'm now thinking which to go 735 or745. The fuel consumption looks higher compare to my x5. Hope to get one soon. FBMWSCH?

Cannot compare la bro 6 in line with V8 sure more petrol.:rock:

j0shua;537903 said:
Car does 140km/h in top gear @ 2500rpm, and 170km/h @ 3000rpm, so it's a real good highway cruiser.

I thought V8 will cruize at lower rpm? My 528 clocked the same tho.

IMG00023-20100903-0933.jpg

Top Bottom