6-month old E90 LCI 323i brake problems.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

alexkhoo

Club Guest
Hey all,THE MAIN QUESTION HERE IS, ANYONE KNOWS WHAT CAUSES THE REAR BRAKES TO JAM UP? ANYONE ELSE HERE EXPERIENCED THE SAME PROBLEM? AND WHAT SHOULD WE DO? STORY BELOW;Our new 323i was delivered to us on 30th January this year. Since then, we've been driving it around Penang, it's been down to KL twice. In June, I left for a 6 weeks holiday overseas. When I came back, started the car, the tyres were stuck to the ground (I think so), but after some pushing, the car moved again. My brother was back as well, so he drove the car almost everyday for 2 weeks until he went back (this was on 26th July).On 30th July, I took the car out, then when I came back, the car was left in the garage for the weekend. On Monday night, when me and my parents wanted to go out with the car, the car couldn't move at all. The gear could go into D, parking brake can release. But then, the car couldn't move.So we called our saleswoman, and she got the BMW hotline people to call us. So, the Auto Bavaria breakdown service came, the guy checked the car, and said it was something to do with the 'brake shoe' stuck together on both sides at the rear wheels. He released it, the car could move and we sent it to AB the next morning. The service advisor said the car was fine already, but the mechanic said the problem could come back again and he ordered a new set of 'brake shoes' for us.For the fear of the brakes jamming up again, we're not driving the car out. We're now thinking of sending the car back to AB, getting a loan car from them and let them resolve the problem completely before returning the car.P.S. The car has about 3500km now.

I never had problems with brake pads getting stuck on the discs, often leave the car at home for weeks but no problems yet...But i never put my handbrake ON if im going away..same goes when im just back after a spirited drive..i will let it cool down before applying handbrakes.. This is what the pros suggest to do as well..

But then my car porch is flat so i just put it on ''P'' all the time

I some times get the rear brakes sticking a bit if the car has been left for a couple of weeks, but only need to step on the accelerator a bit more when first pulling away to "break" the stickiness and then it's fine after.

It's definitely not normal to have stuck rear brakes after only 3 days. What's the condition of the discs? Do you see corrosion, warped or uneven wear?

kamion;549192 said:
I some times get the rear brakes sticking a bit if the car has been left for a couple of weeks, but only need to step on the accelerator a bit more when first pulling away to "break" the stickiness and then it's fine after.

It's definitely not normal to have stuck rear brakes after only 3 days. What's the condition of the discs? Do you see corrosion, warped or uneven wear?

The discs look fine. No corrosion or anything. We'll be sending the car back again. Hopefully the problem will be solved.

VKS;549133 said:
I never had problems with brake pads getting stuck on the discs, often leave the car at home for weeks but no problems yet...But i never put my handbrake ON if im going away..same goes when im just back after a spirited drive..i will let it cool down before applying handbrakes.. This is what the pros suggest to do as well..

But then my car porch is flat so i just put it on ''P'' all the time

Oh ok. Thanks for the advice. I guess I'm too used to having the parking brake on when I park so I leave it on all the time. =)

Hey I just had the same prob yesterday...

The car have not been driven by approx 9 days and when i tried to move the car it seem to stuck as the handbrake is still applied. I push the accelerator a bit and 1 of the wheel manage to turn while the other one still stuck.

what i did was fwd and reverse few times and a loud "thug" sound emitted once the brake on the 2nd tyre release.

later i found some carbon powder (black colour) on the floor where the brake is...

Car seem to be ok after that but let see this weekend when I'm back to kl. will se whether it stuck again..

Btw i do wash the car and tyres/rim thoroughly last time before leaving it there for a week... any chance due to the detergen? mileage was around 10500km

err should i send the car to AB? check status indicate status ok on the board anyway

This is LCI E90 325i rear brake, 2 types of disc, ventilated (336x22) and solid (300x20), the ventilated is for vehicle with payload increase.
MTM3NTk5X3A=.png

.. and this is E90 rear parking brake:
MTYwNzE2X3A=.png

Our rotor is super easy to rust because soft iron for superb braking. Park you car for a day and rust will start to form. If out door, forming of rust is even more faster due to expose to moisture. And if you wash your car and straight away park for days.. hehe.. sorry la, semua lekat!

I don't think anything to worry about.. normal physic reaction when iron expose to moist and oxygen.. :smokin:

Leave them for a month, they will marry to each other and u need a chisel to separate them.. :p :D

What jim2106 did is very korek, to shake the grip loose by moving the car back and forth. I don't think I suffer for this before even though park for few days, summore with tail hanging out in the open air, expose to rain and shine. I had to reverse car out from porch, so the reverse action is probably a coincidental best practice to unlock the handbrake.. :p :D

And that karat also contributes to the fact we have to change disc brake more often than....a 10 year old Wira, for the sake of the superb braking

this might be the cause of why my e34 feels heavy, when i try to move the car initially after leaving it parked for a night after a drive.

will try to leave it in P, if i intend to leave it overnight, and see what happens when I try to drive it again the next day... see if there's any difference.

Iylia H;550719 said:
this might be the cause of why my e34 feels heavy, when i try to move the car initially after leaving it parked for a night after a drive...

The problem suffered here is a dead lock. The rust bite has prevented the shoe spring to retract the shoe but once the wheel spin, the bite is entirely gone and the shoe spring shall retract the shoe.

If its due to rust on disc, I did some hard braking when travelling at 100kmh to clear the carbon/rust deposits on the disc. Need to brake hard a few times. But make sure no cars behind you !!

Esp so when you car is new, brake shoe and disc are closer together - which causes them to "stick" when rust builds up overnight. If you cant wait a few months for your brake pads to wear off which will shed a few mm off , ask the SA to adjust it as it could be too close

This "rust" happens when car left overnight - esp after a car wash, after driving in the rain or leaving the car out in the open ( morning dew)

If its not due to this, prob you need to perform a proper service on your brakes as its not releasing correctly - eventho you car is new

good luck

alexkhoo;549101 said:
Hey all,

THE MAIN QUESTION HERE IS, ANYONE KNOWS WHAT CAUSES THE REAR BRAKES TO JAM UP? ANYONE ELSE HERE EXPERIENCED THE SAME PROBLEM? AND WHAT SHOULD WE DO? STORY BELOW;

Our new 323i was delivered to us on 30th January this year. Since then, we've been driving it around Penang, it's been down to KL twice. In June, I left for a 6 weeks holiday overseas. When I came back, started the car, the tyres were stuck to the ground (I think so), but after some pushing, the car moved again. My brother was back as well, so he drove the car almost everyday for 2 weeks until he went back (this was on 26th July).

On 30th July, I took the car out, then when I came back, the car was left in the garage for the weekend. On Monday night, when me and my parents wanted to go out with the car, the car couldn't move at all. The gear could go into D, parking brake can release. But then, the car couldn't move.

So we called our saleswoman, and she got the BMW hotline people to call us. So, the Auto Bavaria breakdown service came, the guy checked the car, and said it was something to do with the 'brake shoe' stuck together on both sides at the rear wheels. He released it, the car could move and we sent it to AB the next morning. The service advisor said the car was fine already, but the mechanic said the problem could come back again and he ordered a new set of 'brake shoes' for us.

For the fear of the brakes jamming up again, we're not driving the car out. We're now thinking of sending the car back to AB, getting a loan car from them and let them resolve the problem completely before returning the car.

P.S. The car has about 3500km now.

It's a common problem with handbrake shoe getting stuck to the drum IF someone (you, your maid etc) washes the wheels and the car left overnight. Doesn't happen if the wheels are not wet/washed right?

I'm having the same brake locking problem on my 6 month-old 320d. This only happens to me after washing the car in the evening and trying to drive away the next morning. Now, I have learned not to engage my handbrake after the wash. Placing in 'P' should suffice since I park on levelled ground. Will try this trick the next time I wash my ride.

p.s. Many thanks to Maniac for sharing the link to this thread.

No need to thank me, bro. This forum's a fantastic source of info/tips/advice/experience for fellow enthusiasts. I'm learning heaps from it too!

Maniac;568365 said:
No need to thank me, bro. This forum's a fantastic source of info/tips/advice/experience for fellow enthusiasts. I'm learning heaps from it too!

Well, then do consider joining as official member la! :top:

Bro, thanks for the personal invite. Seriously considering...but to be honest, it's already Oct, so most likely Jan given that membership is calendar year.
Will join in one of the upcoming drives, and get togethers soon to introduce myself in person!

Maniac;568417 said:
Bro, thanks for the personal invite. Seriously considering...but to be honest, it's already Oct, so most likely Jan given that membership is calendar year.
Will join in one of the upcoming drives, and get togethers soon to introduce myself in person!

Kluang drive next Sunday, 10th Oct!!! You won't regret it!!! Come join us, bro!!:top::top: Let's race some 325i!!

I think some of u have mixed up parking brake (handbrake) with the normal brakes for the BMW.. When u step on the brake pedal, it activates the front and rear BRAKE CALIPERS which pressed the brake pads onto the disc rotors. The friction generates braking power..

The parking brake doesn't activate the calipers at all... It uses the brake shoes within the rear brake disc, similar to the drum brakes you see on some lesser cars or older cars.. When u pull on the handbrake lever, the mechanism will push the brake shoe to come in contact with the inner rotor surface and stop the car from moving.
MTYwNzE2X3A=.png

so if there's rust inside where the hand brake shoes are, it's impossible for anyone to actually see the rust...

On another note, if your parking lot is on flat ground, u can actually park the car without using the handbrake, just put it into P... The car will not move...

Similarly for manual cars, just slot into 1st gear after switching off the ignition. But have to remember to slot the gearshift into neutral before starting the engine.

FYI, on some cars like the Protons, the parking brake mechanism is different for those equipped with rear brake disc. It doesn't have the brake shoe lining. When u pull on the handbrake lever, the mechanism will activate the rear brake calipers to press the brake pads onto the disc, much the same like when the brake pedal was stepped on..

docrayboy;568423 said:
Kluang drive next Sunday, 10th Oct!!! You won't regret it!!! Come join us, bro!!:top::top: Let's race some 325i!!

I would love to join. After all Kluang is my hometown. Please advise how I can join.

Top Bottom