520 to 530 conversion questions.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Bananaman

Ok, have gotten a halfcut. 530. I didn't get the 'body parts'. Now workshop currently doing the wiring. But am now told that since I am moving from 520 to 530 the wiring is different and that I would need to get the 'facelift' four doors as the sockets are different. Gotta get new front and rear lights too.

1) Is it possible to just get the sockets/parts rather than the WHOLE door?
2) Are there few kinds of facelift headlights? (read something about auto leveler, turn signal yellow color/clear, xenon/non-xenon, HID, hella, depo, ah huat, ah kow, 'don't-get-taiwan-lights') huh??! :stupid:
3) Will the facelift headlights fit my 1999 e39? Also read something about a ballast.
4) Since I might have to get those stuff, are there any other things that I have to get so that this conversion process can move on smoothly?
5) My halfcut came without the 'banana leaf' or 'wheel arch liner shield thingy' so I thought that was odd. Where can I get them locally? Or I can just buy some sort of fabric and tampal myself? http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sop=16&_nkw=bmw+wheel+arch+liner&_frs=1

Thanks in advance!
single banana smaller 3.jpg

Bro...
I am sorry but I think you have chosen to dive into the deeper end of the pool!

You posed your concerns before on another thread and everybody suggested Vixx customs.The shop must know what to expect and advise the customer BEFORE taking up the modification.The experts will know best.

Anyways to help answer your Q with my limited knowledge:
1. yes and no...some chop shops sell the whole door.some allow cannibalisation.
2. yes
3. if yours is pre facelift you will have to do modification work.
4. only the expert shop will be able to advise
5.fabric?your'e kidding right?get a replacement wheel arch liner from the chop shop.

Like you said.These cars have little or no resale value and since you have bought a "lemon",or rather you have been duped into buying one,best to do it up and enjoy the driving sensation but doing it up must be done correctly or otherwise you will be ending up with a car that spend's it days in the shop more than it does being driven.

Good luck bro.....

Agreed with moots.....I don't know what has come into your mind.. :hmmmm: 520 to 530...have you gone to see Vixx Customs as advised?...what ever engine you want to plonk in, you should get the complete cut..then easier for mechanic and you to troubleshoot if anything goes wrong..yes nowadays "half cut" means you only get the complete engine + transmission(gbox/long shaft/rear diff), dash board(with a lot of missing parts!)...dapat suspension pun kira nasib baik bro...daun pisang? tak jumpa laa...that how 'part runner' make a living bro...sikit lagi beli half cut skru pun tak da....

From 1 of the post I read you bought a lemon. Hopefully your decision or your mechanic won't make it a bigger lemon. There's no compromise when working on a transplant. These are some of the priorities;

No. 1 - listen to the advise given by the members here. These are the people who have gone through the school of hard knocks. Of course you need to use your own good judgement to decide which is good or bad advise. In case of doubt ask more questions in the forum.
No. 2 - Be prepared with sufficient budget
No. 3 - Find a very competent mechanic who has carried out such projects & has a reputation for this job
No. 4 - If possible get the full car at one go. You won't have to miss out anything. End of the day it could be a cheaper route, a good job done & a trouble free future ownership
No. 5 - Be prepared to fork out more money as certain wear & tear parts from the half cut will also need to be replaced. Remember half cut are used parts.

I've already talked to Vixx but he is fully booked until January. I mentioned fabric for the wheel arch because I remember when I was shooting the LB performance GTR they had this kind of flexible thick fabric/material for the arch.

Thanks for the replies and clarification. I will try to work it out.

No worries, just shoot your questions on this forum. Member are here to help each other. No question is silly. It's all a learning process.

If I were you I would just get a new part for the wheel arch splash guard. As the name goes, it's a splash guard. So I would not think fabric materials is good. Water retention & next thing would be rust!

Good that you have talk yo Vixxx already regarding the transplant...
For the wheel arch its not a prob...
Just make a visit to BA the parts is available...prize wise not sure....
The wheel arch comes with 2 parts....long n short...
1 for wheel arch the other for the bumper area...
Yes this parts also can get at half cut shop...

I'll comment on the headlight. There are a few:

1. Prefacelift halogens
2. Prefacelift Xenons (same as HID, only different term, has ballast)
3. Facelift Halogens (came with angel eyes)
4. Facelift Xenons (same as HID, only different term, has ballast)

All the options above came in silver or amber indicators, and all will fit your car with the correct adaptors. All are made by Hella. Please don't buy the Taiwan ones. They look shite.

I'm surprised the mechanic didn't advise you to change all the wirings in the first place as that is quite essential for the completion of the project. What is included in the halfcut?

Splash guard/wheel arch cover/banana skin can be bought new. Buying a half cut one will be just the same IMO. These things tend to get brittle with time, so I'd say get a new one. I just changed mine for RM290 a piece for the right and left, a bit pricey.

Bro your halfcut should have been equip with the complete wiring hardness for the whole car as the are completely different. As for the headlights I wouldn't bother to get the hella ori with xenon cause they are very costly. I have been looking to replace mine. There are many other parts that you are going to need for this project.

Top Bottom