318i vs Proton Putra

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Slide

Club Guest
Did a drag race in a 99 e36 318i auto against an 1.8 auto Putra.Lost by a HUGE margin, blooming BM is dog slow compared to the putra.Didn't think the gap would be that big. Anybody other 318 guys tried this?I'm thinking there must be something wrong with my sis's 318i?Can anybody pls confirm this for me.

I don think so. UDM slow in the starting line, it is always like that for Germany car, unless u are in big cc car; but in long distance, Putra will only smell the smoke.

How long u race with the Putra??

how huge is the margin???

Power on paper:
Putra ~140hp at the crank
318i ~ 115hp at the crank...

There's a difference of 25hp and also the difference in weight for both cars... I believe the E36 should be heavier compared to the putra..

bmw7833;215773 said:
I don think so. UDM slow in the starting line, it is always like that for Germany car, unless u are in big cc car; but in long distance, Putra will only smell the smoke.

How long u race with the Putra??

the bimmer mentioned here is a 318i, no way even at top end it can beat the putra

the putra has only 118 at the crank.. JDM cars always over rated..

pussy;215804 said:
the putra has only 118 at the crank.. JDM cars always over rated..

that must be some nice sh1t u r smokin'....i had a putra long2 time ago, no way its 118 at crank :p

The M43B18 in the E36 is not mean for drag with any other cars. It's a slow four pot. Plus, weight is heavy for the the E36 plus it's running 205 wide tires compared to stock putra which is 185.

However, with the proper drive, the 318i can match or not far behind in mid range. The putra breath out faster.

A more fair comparison would be the M44b18 E36 with the Putra. :)

Slide;215770 said:
Did a drag race in a 99 e36 318i auto against an 1.8 auto Putra.
Lost by a HUGE margin, blooming BM is dog slow compared to the putra.
Didn't think the gap would be that big.

Anybody other 318 guys tried this?
I'm thinking there must be something wrong with my sis's 318i?
Can anybody pls confirm this for me.

tried with my fre's 318 6 years ago,from 1st to 3rd gear my putra & his 318's distance is ard 3 car,he gave up...i dunno how it gonna be if in highway but i tried my personnal top speed with my putra on 210km/h,i could be a bit more faster but damn scary...

shaifulo;215815 said:
that must be some nice sh1t u r smokin'....i had a putra long2 time ago, no way its 118 at crank :p

it's true.. i had a 1.8dohc manual 4 door sedan..dyno it.. 118 at the engine..even the GTI is about the same.. it's with the stupid jap ecu..

only ifyou can have a good take off then you may be able to beat the putra ...but then that too depends on how well you can handle you car ....

If side by side ...and the putra take's off 2 second earlier ...then you might else well say bye bye to that putra ...

Slide....how are you bro.

aiyah..you oso wanna kacauy here ah? I'll put my money on the Putra.

so when are you coming to ride the wake with me??

let's bury it.. i had my 1.8L manual.. drive every fortnight to north.. at 210km/h.. even the standard GTI has run out of breath..

how 318i can beat putra? ..the solution is..hehehhe

E36 318i can beat the putra with installed a supercharge and management ECU (piggy back standalone :) ) (even low class supercharge)..hahahah...sure kasik habuk :D..jgn marah sape pakai putra :p..of course if stock 318i cant beat putra..putra got DOHC engine and the body also light..318i just single cam and the body u can c of coz is heavy than putra...there is no way 318i can beat putra drag race...putra should try with 320i DOHC 6 cylinders and there can compare :D..if somebody had try 320i with 1.8 putra or GTI please share with me :D

cheers

No doubt about it, even if the Putra has same engine power as the 318i, the Putra will win the drag race, simply on weight advantage alone, I think nearly 200kg or more, Putra is just around 1050kg or so only. And that's a whole 100kg or so lighter than the Satria GTi, for some strange reasons...

Pussy, I think the 118hp is at the wheels, was that done on a Dynojet machine where there's no way to extrapolate at-the-crank figures? I dynoed my Satria 1.6M before (when it was still an NA virgin), 108hp at the wheels, Proton's rating is 118hp for the 1.6 4G92 SOHC.

serious, i too was shock.. even my friends GTI clocked 117 at the wheels..
during 99' the first batch of GTI was powerful, can run till 215km/h and it was a dream. then the later batch, it was down tuned to 180km/h max. done by proton. tried the jap ecu and plug into my car, very powerful.

aiya, why go so far, the caldina is rated at 240hp at the engine, N1 dyno it 167 at the engine..read hypertune mag..

but i respect the japs for one thing, engine reliability.

the first batch maybe powerful cuz the japanese did not do any costdown...after that only the cost down begins and maybe the jap didnot download the full knowledge to our local car makers

Wuhoo......1.8 shootout. Who can organise one? 1.8 single cam, 1.8 twin cam, auto, manual. BMW, VW, Proton, Fiat Punto HGT, Toyota, what else? Slide, E36 318i (A) is no brainer against the twin cam Putra.

OSFlanker;216018 said:
Wuhoo......1.8 shootout. Who can organise one? 1.8 single cam, 1.8 twin cam, auto, manual. BMW, VW, Proton, Fiat Punto HGT, Toyota, what else? Slide, E36 318i (A) is no brainer against the twin cam Putra.

my 1.8L as mentioned by 535i;)

Top Bottom