318i Unstable when reach 160km/h

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

fahmi313

Club Guest
dear alli need your help and opinion what to do...my car 318i 2.0cc year 2003rim 18"i got i problem with my car...when my car speed reach 160km/h , the car become unstable and mcm tak nak pergi lagi...any body can help me and give suggestion why this happen..i`m still new to udm.what should i do to settle this problem and get my car to top speed?

I'm not really sure but after i did a major overhaul(from bottom to top) on my e46(2001), at 160km/h the thrust is still there.. It climbed up 180km/h easily and i slowed to 160 after that.

Engine tip top condition?

fahmi313;433667 said:
dear all
i need your help and opinion what to do...
my car 318i 2.0cc year 2003
rim 18"
i got i problem with my car...when my car speed reach 160km/h , the car become unstable and mcm tak nak pergi lagi...
any body can help me and give suggestion why this happen..i`m still new to udm.
what should i do to settle this problem and get my car to top speed?

unstable can be due to tyre pressure, alignment, absorbers, bushings, tie rods, steering rack, steering coupling. have them checked first.
btw what's your tyre size??

fahmi313;433667 said:
dear all
i need your help and opinion what to do...
my car 318i 2.0cc year 2003
rim 18"
i got i problem with my car...when my car speed reach 160km/h , the car become unstable and mcm tak nak pergi lagi...

Looks like there are 2 different problems. 1st is the stability, 2nd is the lack of power after 160kph. Have you gotten your mechanic to diagnose the problems?

Maybe u should check for oil sludge in the engine.. If the previous owner stuck to the 25,000km oil service intervals, there's a high chance of oil sludge in the engine.

thanks a lot for the comments.
i just take my car for about one weeks. Not yet send to workshop for services. planning next week.
My tyre size 235/40/18 (rear) and 225/40/18 (front).
I will sending my car for services this friday at MSPEED (ahmeng)
last night i also try to test my car at duke highway..same thing when reach 150km/h - 160km/h the car macam tak nak pergi lagi...i feel very frustrated. now feeling drive Junk 2 more better hahaha
can anyone suggest me how much the estimation cost to solve this problem.

fabianyee;433769 said:
Looks like there are 2 different problems. 1st is the stability, 2nd is the lack of power after 160kph. Have you gotten your mechanic to diagnose the problems?

Maybe u should check for oil sludge in the engine.. If the previous owner stuck to the 25,000km oil service intervals, there's a high chance of oil sludge in the engine.

Bro thanks a lot
Yes there is 2 different problem.
what normally mechanic will do if there is oil sludge in the engine?

fahmi313;433791 said:
thanks a lot for the comments.
i just take my car for about one weeks. Not yet send to workshop for services. planning next week.
My tyre size 235/40/18 (rear) and 225/40/18 (front).
I will sending my car for services this friday at MSPEED (ahmeng)
last night i also try to test my car at duke highway..same thing when reach 150km/h - 160km/h the car macam tak nak pergi lagi...i feel very frustrated. now feeling drive Junk 2 more better hahaha
can anyone suggest me how much the estimation cost to solve this problem.

If the previous owner drives like uncle/auntie, then the car would feel sluggish... The ECU hasn't adapted to your driving style... But better to get send somewhere with proper diagnostic machine to find out whether there's any fault codes.

fahmi313;433793 said:
Bro thanks a lot
Yes there is 2 different problem.
what normally mechanic will do if there is oil sludge in the engine?

short of overhauling the engine, can change oil more often to gradual remove the sludge. Or the faster way is to use oil flush...

fabianyee;433823 said:
short of overhauling the engine, can change oil more often to gradual remove the sludge. Or the faster way is to use oil flush...

ok.
so it means i should ask mechanic to flush all old engine oil

anyone can comment why this happen to my car...
cannot tahan anymore naik 160km/h then tak nak naik lagi

fahmi313;434049 said:
my car 318 1.9cc 2000, i pakai shell 5-40, 215km/h, :p

did you car produces rattling sound when you pass through small bump or uneven road at low speed?
if you hear sound "dub dub"....you need to change the bushings..(cheapest way to fix)
then, do the alignment and you will be find at high speed.

I always try 220km/h-230km/h at highway for a couple of minutes, just wanna my car performance..
one day my car getting unstable at 140km/h (the steering wheel vibrating).
first I suspect the balancing and I did the wheel balancing and it is just fine.

however, when I reach 180km/h, the steering wheel wants to move to the left slightly which feels very bad.
then, I changed the bushings for both front wheel and my problem is solved.
(assume the absorber is fine and work properly)

under powered is ur engine problem..make sure ur engine oil is clean, flush the oil and put new one, put new filter also..check make sure your feul pump is ok..for balancing check ur bushing, balancing and absober...if ur car lowered make sure your absober in good condition, otherwise bouncing or lost balancing..im using 2.0 engine and i can go from 160 - 180 - 225 max rpm easily.....cos most of the time i just keep stay 180km/h on motorway...and one trick and advise from me...to make ur engine smooth and light, once a week, give a good rev to the max for every gear your speed...so that it will move/kick out all the carbon in ur engine systems which maybe can block ur engine system to run smoothly. this will let ur engine to perform maximum horsepower that it can produced...cheers!!!

might as well just pour a bottle of those STP fuel system cleaner stuff while you're at it. and yes, flush the engine oil.

fahmi313;434049 said:

got several king kong theory here..

1. ur engine have a lot of bloody sludge = flush it then change to a thinner oil 1st (Xw/40 or Xw/30)

2. ur exhaust system/cat maybe stuck with carbon or maybe have some leakage on piping connection..so not enough back pressure for top speed but good for pickup.. = check for any tear and wear on ur exhaust piping/muffler/cat

3.ur engine still virgin = fully rev at every gear until u reach the top speed..in my case when i left my e39 525 for almost 2/3 weeks for oversea trip (and also when i leave it to my mum..maybe for the whole week she just drive it max 15km/h only:rolleyes:)..then it will behave like 1.3 single cam..8 valve..no vanos..with caburator..hehe..really hard to get top speed..but after several time fully rev in every gear..then this burger can recognize me as his collin mcrae already..she will fly as usual..:rock:

maybe u can try this ez DIY checking 1st before u throw ur money for diagnose :top:

Top Bottom