2002 E46 M3 import from USA to KL

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

minifrizzle

Club Guest
Hi All,Greetings! It's good to see there's a nice M community here in Malaysia. I've just relocated from Shanghai, China to KL (originally I'm from San Francisco). After living in Shanghai for three years without a car it's only taken a couple of weeks in KL to realize that I'll probably need one here.I have a 2002 E46 M3 which I've painstakingly taken care of since taking delivery, including fully garaged and driven at least once a week by a friend back in the US while I was in Shanghai. It's in gorgeous condition with about 90k miles. Here are some pics from delivery day, including old fat/pudgy pictures of me before I had discovered the gym. :) http://www.schnorkel.com/m3/I'm quite interested in importing my car from the US and I wanted to ask a few questions of the local BMW/M3 owners:1. Are there any good BMW service centers or private techs for servicing E46 M3s? What is the cost of repairs (labor/parts) relative to the US?2. Does the local Malaysian petrol/fuel quality agree with the S54 M3 engine? What is the grade that you must buy to obtain the proper octane ratings?3. Are there any good Malaysian import agents that can assist me with this so I don't have to worry about it? I'm most concerned with taxes/duties, see #4 below.3. What are the taxes that others have paid to bring their used E46 M3s back to Malaysia? I am looking for anyone who has any connections with MITI or the Malaysian government to assist me in importation.Thanks in advance for any info! I look forward to seeing you on the road in KL in a month or two when it arrives from California.Cheers!

driving a leftie on malaysian roads is gonna be a bitch...u sure u wanna do that bro? parking booths, toll plazas, overtaking lorries on trunk roads....motorcycles that appear from nowhere...

tombstone;519379 said:
driving a leftie on malaysian roads is gonna be a bitch...u sure u wanna do that bro? parking booths, toll plazas, overtaking lorries on trunk roads....motorcycles that appear from nowhere...

Hi Tombstone,

I hear ya. I figure with touch n go pass I can get by with toll plazas and some parking booths. If I need to get close I can use one of those carnival grab-hand sticks. ;-)

6133.jpg

As for overtaking cars, I suppose you mean it's difficult to see the over-taking lane (right-side lane) from the left-side of the car? That's a good point.

How do you see left-side drive being an issue for motorcycles?

Cheers,

John

What tombstone meant is the motorcycles on the road. Ask any Malaysian and they will tell you how much they hate the motorcyclist here.

minifrizzle;519407 said:
Hi Tombstone,

I hear ya. I figure with touch n go pass I can get by with toll plazas and some parking booths. If I need to get close I can use one of those carnival grab-hand sticks. ;-)

6133.jpg

As for overtaking cars, I suppose you mean it's difficult to see the over-taking lane (right-side lane) from the left-side of the car? That's a good point.

How do you see left-side drive being an issue for motorcycles?

Cheers,

John

lol.....this is cool. I haven't seen the 'claw' for a while. A LHD car is not so bad, just always ensure you have a girl in the passenger side. She can multitask to make sure the driver is ok :D

Petrol wont be an issue, our RON 97 is similiar to 91/93 Octane. Motorcycles are a pain always, so LHD n RHD cars are both affected.

But before you bring your car down, send it to HPF for some lovin'. :D

Quite true. Driving a LHD car in malaysia will give quite a headache. Unless you have a passenger to help you out.

My 2 cents

DO NOT DO IT!!!!!

It's not worth the effort man. I whole heartedly agree with the guy who said about motobikes beign appear from nowhere and it will sure suprise you the same way guerrillas suprise army soldiers in a thick jungle.

Plus the hassel you have to go through to bring the car.

Why don't you sell the e46 in States and buy one from Malaysia. You moved here for good? or for a while.

I moved from States last October and before that I sold my e30s.

EEEE30;535946 said:
DO NOT DO IT!!!!!

It's not worth the effort man. I whole heartedly agree with the guy who said about motobikes beign appear from nowhere and it will sure suprise you the same way guerrillas suprise army soldiers in a thick jungle.

Plus the hassel you have to go through to bring the car.

Why don't you sell the e46 in States and buy one from Malaysia. You moved here for good? or for a while.

I moved from States last October and before that I sold my e30s.

Bro the price for an M3 in the US is FAR more lower than here ... If i were the OP i would do the same thing and bring the ride to M'sia. Plus their aftermarket parts and tuning scene for BMW is among the best if not the best compared to anywhere else.

Try to get a HPF turbo kit installed too before shipping the ride to M'sia hehehe :rock:

minifrizzle;519364 said:
Hi All,

Greetings! It's good to see there's a nice M community here in Malaysia. I've just relocated from Shanghai, China to KL (originally I'm from San Francisco). After living in Shanghai for three years without a car it's only taken a couple of weeks in KL to realize that I'll probably need one here.

I have a 2002 E46 M3 which I've painstakingly taken care of since taking delivery, including fully garaged and driven at least once a week by a friend back in the US while I was in Shanghai. It's in gorgeous condition with about 90k miles. Here are some pics from delivery day, including old fat/pudgy pictures of me before I had discovered the gym. :) http://www.schnorkel.com/m3/

I'm quite interested in importing my car from the US and I wanted to ask a few questions of the local BMW/M3 owners:

1. Are there any good BMW service centers or private techs for servicing E46 M3s? What is the cost of repairs (labor/parts) relative to the US?

2. Does the local Malaysian petrol/fuel quality agree with the S54 M3 engine? What is the grade that you must buy to obtain the proper octane ratings?

3. Are there any good Malaysian import agents that can assist me with this so I don't have to worry about it? I'm most concerned with taxes/duties, see #4 below.

3. What are the taxes that others have paid to bring their used E46 M3s back to Malaysia? I am looking for anyone who has any connections with MITI or the Malaysian government to assist me in importation.

Thanks in advance for any info! I look forward to seeing you on the road in KL in a month or two when it arrives from California.

Cheers!

1. There are many workshops here that can service the ///M. AS for cost, parts are much more compared to the states but the labour cost is almost like minimum wage compared to the USD40 bucks an hour labour charges.

2. Fuel quality and octane shouldn't be an issue. Can always use V Power Racing, which is rumoured to be 98 Octane.

3&4. It all depends what you are entitled to any APs. If you are working professional abroad for some years, you maybe entitled to one. You have to check more on that.

Cheers

minifrizzle;519364 said:
Hi All,

Greetings! It's good to see there's a nice M community here in Malaysia. I've just relocated from Shanghai, China to KL (originally I'm from San Francisco). After living in Shanghai for three years without a car it's only taken a couple of weeks in KL to realize that I'll probably need one here.

I have a 2002 E46 M3 which I've painstakingly taken care of since taking delivery, including fully garaged and driven at least once a week by a friend back in the US while I was in Shanghai. It's in gorgeous condition with about 90k miles. Here are some pics from delivery day, including old fat/pudgy pictures of me before I had discovered the gym. :) http://www.schnorkel.com/m3/

I'm quite interested in importing my car from the US and I wanted to ask a few questions of the local BMW/M3 owners:

1. Are there any good BMW service centers or private techs for servicing E46 M3s? What is the cost of repairs (labor/parts) relative to the US?

2. Does the local Malaysian petrol/fuel quality agree with the S54 M3 engine? What is the grade that you must buy to obtain the proper octane ratings?

3. Are there any good Malaysian import agents that can assist me with this so I don't have to worry about it? I'm most concerned with taxes/duties, see #4 below.

3. What are the taxes that others have paid to bring their used E46 M3s back to Malaysia? I am looking for anyone who has any connections with MITI or the Malaysian government to assist me in importation.

Thanks in advance for any info! I look forward to seeing you on the road in KL in a month or two when it arrives from California.

Cheers!

Damnnnn..... that's a seriously good looking car. The tan color seats are the typical Ferrari color ... something I've always wanted. However, I agree with all here. It's a pain to bring in the car. Moreover, if you're not here to permanently, what are you gonna do with the car when you leave? It'll be bloody difficult to sell a LHD car here. My suggestion: why don't you go check out the M3s here. If you find something you like, sell off your existing and swap. Bring the car in only as last option.

If you take up the Malaysia My Second Home programme, you can bring it in tax free :)
But if you do take that up, you're better off bringing in something brand new and far more expensive.
Otherwise tax hit is a real pain. The question is, if you bring it in, how long will you be here for? Will you be bringing it out with you?

B33mEr;535967 said:
Bro the price for an M3 in the US is FAR more lower than here ... If i were the OP i would do the same thing and bring the ride to M'sia. Plus their aftermarket parts and tuning scene for BMW is among the best if not the best compared to anywhere else.

Try to get a HPF turbo kit installed too before shipping the ride to M'sia hehehe :rock:

Agreed with what you say and of course the fun factor is there but there are other things that you have to consider when you bring down your car from overseas. I don't think there is a need to mention what involves in bringing in a car from overseas but few things that can not be ignored are;
Top of the list is the permit to bring and things involve in that procedure.
2nd you have to think about how long will you be residing in M'asia (is it 2yrs, 3yrs, 5yrs.... or more than 10yrs, ect)
3rd What would you do when you decide to leave M'asia? Sell the car? or take it back to home country.
If you choose to sell the car, can anyone possibly sell a LHD car in a right-hand driven country?

List goes on...
So one must ask himself..... Is it worth the hassel?
But if you are willing to go through all the hassel involve, by any means please go ahead

That is just my 2cents.

Top Bottom