19" Rims - advice

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

lanun

Club Guest
I am currently driving an E46 325i. I have fixed a 19" RIAL rims with diameter of 10.5(rear) and 8.5(front). Since fixing the rims, I am having problems with the back tires hitting the housing and when long distance, burning tar or rubber will be seen melting on the housing. And there is no way that I can carry additional passengers behind due to this problem.1. Is there anyway, that I can solve the problem by installing body kit for the rear portion? If yes, where can I get them?2. BMW has advised that with this sort of rims my bushing and suspension will be worn off easily. How do I prevent from having to change it constantly?3. As a new member, please advise me what is the best way to solve the problem and recommended shops that can assist me on getting a smooth ride?

Local Msian... Being back to Malaysia for good after working in Jakarta for 7 years. Current ride 325i, Alphard and Range Rover Vogue. Looking around for 2003 0r 2004 Mini Cooper or Cooper S....

I am currently driving an E46 325i. I have fixed a 19" RIAL rims with diameter of 10.5(rear) and 8.5(front). Since fixing the rims, I am having problems with the back tires hitting the housing and when long distance, burning tar or rubber will be seen melting on the housing. And there is no way that I can carry additional passengers behind due to this problem.

Originally posted by lanun@May 11 2006, 02:58 PM
I am currently driving an E46 325i. I have fixed a 19" RIAL rims with diameter of 10.5(rear) and 8.5(front). Since fixing the rims, I am having problems with the back tires hitting the housing and when long distance, burning tar or rubber will be seen melting on the housing. And there is no way that I can carry additional passengers behind due to this problem.

1. Is there anyway, that I can solve the problem by installing body kit for the rear portion? If yes, where can I get them?

2. BMW has advised that with this sort of rims my bushing and suspension will be worn off easily. How do I prevent from having to change it constantly?

3. As a new member, please advise me what is the best way to solve the problem and recommended shops that can assist me on getting a smooth ride?
Dear Lanun,

Installing the bodykit alone will not solve your problem of tyres rubbing. You will have to do modifications on ur body meaning going for wide body. What size tyres are you using? If you are lucky you will only have to change the tire size.

I dont think there will be significant wear and tear on your bushings unless your rims are very heavy. Generally rims more than 13 kg are considered heavy.

cheers

bro,what is the offset of ur wheel?n wat setup of tyre?i have a place to do widebody if u interested....not a fibre one..

Originally posted by lanun@May 11 2006, 03:09 PM
Local Msian... Being back to Malaysia for good after working in Jakarta for 7 years. Current ride 325i, Alphard and Range Rover Vogue. Looking around for 2003 0r 2004 Mini Cooper or Cooper S....
In the newbie section la!

The tyres and rims (2 piece) was recommended by Sportsline in Sunway. The tyres are PS2. The problem is that the rims cost a bomb but now I am not enjoying the ride. The rear will start brushing the upper part every time I hit a hump esp on the highway.

Are there any solution either by having a widebody etc? Or is there any recommended shops for me to go and seek for advice?

Thanks

Originally posted by lanun@May 11 2006, 04:41 PM
The tyres and rims (2 piece) was recommended by Sportsline in Sunway. The tyres are PS2. The problem is that the rims cost a bomb but now I am not enjoying the ride. The rear will start brushing the upper part every time I hit a hump esp on the highway.

Are there any solution either by having a widebody etc? Or is there any recommended shops for me to go and seek for advice?

Thanks
you should drive straight back to the shop and give them a piece of your mine. get them to replace the rear to a 9".

are theyso blur that they would even think of recommending a 10.5" to a non M.

Ass-lubangs they are.

sounds to me that they were trying to push off a set of wheels which they know no non M bmw can take.

Thanks for your advice Daniel..maybe I should do that but I have been there twice and I have changed the suspension etc... still having the same problem... for RM19k I think I deserved to have a good ride.

Another thing..any good ICE installer in KL? My Alpine having problem reading the ipod.... suweyy le this car.

Originally posted by lanun@May 11 2006, 04:56 PM
Thanks for your advice Daniel..maybe I should do that but I have been there twice and I have changed the suspension etc... still having the same problem... for RM19k I think I deserved to have a good ride.

Another thing..any good ICE installer in KL? My Alpine having problem reading the ipod.... suweyy le this car.
hi, the susp would only intensify the problem, because (i am assuming you went for a sports susp setup) the ride height of the car is now lower to the ground, Plus the taller 19s and tires, the clearance between the tire edge and quarter panels is very much inadequat. Probably rolling the guards will not help much anyways.

10.5" at the rear......man.......that considered wide for a M!

There is a good Car Audio show along sunway....can't remember the shop name! sorry!

lanun,

your tyre shop is pulling a fast one.. no way can a non M fit 10" width rears, basically if you want 19" rims you have to go all 9" width. please get back your money from your tyre shop changing suspension set up would not help in any way. if you still want staggered rims go 18"

just an opinion..

Go back to the shop you bought it from and ask them to change the wheels and new tires.
If not, threaten LEGAL action.

Don't take no for an answer. I wouldn't

They obviously don't know didly squat and sold you something that is ill fitting for your vehicle.

Top Bottom