18 vs 19 rims for e90

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

feruzahmad

Club Guest
Hey all!I have the sport package on my 325i and the 17s that come with it. I am in need of some larger wheels as the 17s don't fill out the wheel well nearly enough. I've found 18s and 19s that I like but was wondering what you guys have experienced as far as those wheel sizes changing the drive/performance of the car.Also, friends of mine offer some really nice E92 M3 rep wheels that will fit this car with gurantee NO issues/rubbing or headaches. 225/40/18 (front), 255/35/18 (rear) for the 18s and 245/35/19 (front), 265/30/19 (rear) for the 19s...If anyone is running these size wheels on their E90, are these the tires you have? Any brand recommendations with low noise levels and tread life as my preferences? Are the 19s simply too big for the wheels wells? Are the 245/265 tires gonna rub on the chassis?I'm leaning toward the 19s, but have found some good A/S tires for 18s only... I'd still like the 19s but not at the expense of any potential problems I'm not foreseeing here.I did a thread search already, but they were old and I couldn't find any good answers...Any help is appreciated.Thanks as always,Feruz PJ

i run 235 40 18 falken 452s and they sit nicely :)

pic from side
DSCN1673.jpg

pic from rear
18-30-2-165-667_mont_01.jpg

18 inch staggered rims are good enough unless it is your second / weekend car...19' will inevitably cost you more and to maintain it is a different story altogether. Malaysian roads are full with "mysteries".

The bigger the rims, the tendency of rim damage is higher. I know someone that run 20" Hartge rims and he had to fix his rim almost everymonth.. :stupid:

My problem with bigger rims are,
1. car lesser pickup
2. price of tyre, Pengsan! :stupid:
3. When approaching last 10~20% thread, car suffer hydroplaning badly!

Am happy with all round 225/45R17 on my 150hp 320i, PS3 only cost me RM510/pc, cross speed bump no need to slow down, comfy, quiet, easily hit 200kph .. :p :D :top:

astroboy;559655 said:
The bigger the rims, the tendency of rim damage is higher. I know someone that run 20" Hartge rims and he had to fix his rim almost everymonth.. :stupid:

1. car lesser pickup

Am happy with all round 225/45R17 on my 150hp 320i, PS3 only cost me RM510/pc, cross speed bump no need to slow down, comfy, quiet, easily hit 200kph .. :p :D :top:

korek korek..:top:
but if i want to go for bigger rims,18 inch is enuff unless have lots of cash to spare..:eek:

safri;559645 said:
18 inch staggered rims are good enough unless it is your second / weekend car...19' will inevitably cost you more and to maintain it is a different story altogether. Malaysian roads are full with "mysteries".

Totally agreed to u bro. :listen::listen::listen:

astroboy;559655 said:

1. car lesser pickup

yes i agree wat you siad astroboy bigger rim is more trouble . currently i using 20inch on my e92 335i it exactly what u mantion ...this it my opinion if u diving you car daily better go for 18inch but if only weekend or go clubbing u must go 19 inch of coz bigger rim make car look cool.

i am on 19" and is very very happy with the look, the handling and the comfort too!

David Yong;559764 said:
i am on 19" and is very very happy with the look, the handling and the comfort too!

Your car is set up for comfort and straight line.. and only utilizes 25% of damping rate of the adjustable damper to cushion the bumpy ride from the 19". When cornering, the car way too easy to oversteer.. I also tabik sama u! :stupid:

Ur 335i masuk track, sure all over the corners wan, I guarantee!

But Gilajazz also running BMW Performance 19" wheels on stock LCI 325i MSport suspension.. no complain from him too.

:D

My thoughts..if im on 18" + runflats i'd rather go for 19" + normal tyres..so the comfy will be the same and price you pay for RFT's can kowtim the 19 wheels..only downside is the famous malaysian road potholes...im on dilemma too

feruzahmad;559598 said:
Hey all!

I have the sport package on my 325i and the 17s that come with it. I am in need of some larger wheels as the 17s don't fill out the wheel well nearly enough.

I've found 18s and 19s that I like but was wondering what you guys have experienced as far as those wheel sizes changing the drive/performance of the car.

Also, friends of mine offer some really nice E92 M3 rep wheels that will fit this car with gurantee NO issues/rubbing or headaches.

225/40/18 (front), 255/35/18 (rear) for the 18s and
245/35/19 (front), 265/30/19 (rear) for the 19s...

If anyone is running these size wheels on their E90, are these the tires you have? Any brand recommendations with low noise levels and tread life as my preferences?

Are the 19s simply too big for the wheels wells?
Are the 245/265 tires gonna rub on the chassis?
I'm leaning toward the 19s, but have found some good A/S tires for 18s only...
I'd still like the 19s but not at the expense of any potential problems I'm not foreseeing here.

I did a thread search already, but they were old and I couldn't find any good answers...

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks as always,

Feruz PJ

Hey Feruz, well currently my E90 is running on the following:

235/35/19 (front)
275/30/19 (rear)

As I bought this car 2nd hand which already came with the 19" rims, I have replaced the worn out existing bilstein b4 absorbers to bilstein b8 with eibach pro kit springs and I must say the ride is not as bad as i thought it wuld be. With regards to comfort all I can say it is very subjective...If people are used to the camry or S class ride then having 19 inch rims etc is not for you....but for those like me...who had been lowering my Wira on 16" then drove the mazda6 on 17" rims and now e90 on 19" well all i have to say there is no issue.

To answer your query the 245/265 and in my case 275 will not rub against anything provided you have the right absorber set up. with regards to tyres...well this is the problem ...if u have the money you can go for the falkens (which was originally on it but botak), toyos, contis, michelins, and whatever high end brands...but as for me... what i did was i tried to the korean nexen n3000 and they are only abt rm600/tyre well to my surprise its very quiet compared to the previous low profile tyres ive tried, bridgestone/falkens...so far the past 2 months on the nexen..thumbs up...and i do agree that with 19" rims its more for show but ud have a tough time avoiding pot holes...I am thinking to change to 17/18 after i get bored with my 19s heheh hope this helps.

my 325 is on 19" and tyres are now almost botak. To replace a new set of tyres ( Yokohama Advan Sport ) cost me 1000 ++ each.

The ride is ok lah for me now that I am back to using BMW ori sport suspension. Just don't change your original to sports suspension. U'll regret it .

David Yong;559764 said:

yeah..yeah..yeah...me too on 19" , no regret!

feruzahmad;559598 said:
225/40/18 (front), 255/35/18 (rear) for the 18s and
245/35/19 (front), 265/30/19 (rear) for the 19s...

If anyone is running these size wheels on their E90, are these the tires you have? Any brand recommendations with low noise levels and tread life as my preferences?

Feruz PJ

For 19", we normally run 235/35/19 Front and 265/30/19 Rear.

245/35/19 is slightly 'fatter' than 235/35/19.

PS2 is your best bet.

irwaniz8816;559863 To answer your query the 245/265 and in my case 275 will not rub against anything provided you have the right absorber set up. with regards to tyres...well this is the problem ..[/QUOTE said:
Allow me to add, hmm...rubbing or not with 275 tyres also depend on what offset of the rim/wheel.

For example, i am running 9.5J x 19 ET25. If i put in 275, it will rub like hell definitely... If your offset is higher such as ET30 or more, you can run 275 w/o drama even no fender rolling required. :top:

With 9.5J ET25 (Pre-LCi), my camber is Neg 2 and fender rolled a little. Yes, it did rub before fender rolling. But if run Toyo T1R, i wont have to roll the fender.

Space!

I just found some 17" forged wheels from Rays - Volks :)

But....I'm still pretty new with the offset concept - mine (default) are ET34 for the fronts and ET37 for the rears.

The Volks I'm looking at have ET40 for the fronts and ET35 for the rears. Do they fit nicely? Can you kindly translate that to me in English? :D

fahren;560079 said:
Space!

I just found some 17" forged wheels from Rays - Volks :)

But....I'm still pretty new with the offset concept - mine (default) are ET34 for the fronts and ET37 for the rears.

The Volks I'm looking at have ET40 for the fronts and ET35 for the rears. Do they fit nicely? Can you kindly translate that to me in English? :D

No problem.

Wait, what is your rims' width? 8.5J Front? 8J Front?

Assuming that you have 8J (new volks) as with the OEM fronts offset ET34. If you're getting ET40, your front will tuck in (retract) by 6mm.

As for the rear assuming the width remains the same at 8.5J, ET37 to ET35 will protrude (extend out) by 2mm.

For the rears, we want it to be as 'flush' to the rear fender in order to create the 'garang' look with fat tyres.
I would advise you go with ET30 on a 9.5J rear setup on 19", but 17" is very hard to look nice IMO. And 17" wont come in 9.5J, the max size could be 8.5J/9J only.

Unless you add wheel spacer to push out the 17", but i discourage the use of spacer.

Let me have the width of the rims pls.

Thanks for the prompt reply Space :)

Yeah...I'm trying to keep my wheels to the stock look as much as possible....so yeah...my stock fronts are 8J and rears are 8.5J

The Volks config (RE30) I saw on their website have the similar config I wanted...but different in terms of offsets. I was trying to mix and match the config nearest to my OEM setups. Hence, I was trying to go for the Volks with the following setups - 8J with ET40 for the fronts and 8.5J with ET35 for the rears.

Hmmm...hopefully they won't look disproportionate :eek:

Thnaks for wise advice from everybody. If if say, i wanna pick up fro 19, waht are the best tires size to fixed for E 90.

Top Bottom