1 series coupe vs 3 series coupe

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

chun

Club Guest
I have been reading up on the 335i coupe, and with the upcoming DCT and iDrive revisions the car seems quite enticing. However, I was at Ingress a couple days ago with someone who bought the 125i Coupe on display there. I must say the 1 series coupe is probably one of the best looking BMWs at the moment. It looks fresh and modern in the metal, especially with that Cashmere Silver paint on it. I never paid much attention to the 1 series range till now.After reading some of the posts from the other BMW forums, there seems to be a divide even amongst the BMW fans on whether the 135i coupe is better than the 335i coupe. From a Malaysian perspective, I think most would go for the 335i coupe since it's not much more than the 135i and you are getting "more car" for the money, plus it's a 3 series "ranking" it higher than the 1. But I'm not into that. I want to know from a technical and driver's perspective, is the 135i coupe a 'purer' and better BMW than a 335i coupe?

chun;345020 said:
I have been reading up on the 335i coupe, and with the upcoming DCT and iDrive revisions the car seems quite enticing. However, I was at Ingress a couple days ago with someone who bought the 125i Coupe on display there. I must say the 1 series coupe is probably one of the best looking BMWs at the moment. It looks fresh and modern in the metal, especially with that Cashmere Silver paint on it. I never paid much attention to the 1 series range till now.

After reading some of the posts from the other BMW forums, there seems to be a divide even amongst the BMW fans on whether the 135i coupe is better than the 335i coupe. From a Malaysian perspective, I think most would go for the 335i coupe since it's not much more than the 135i and you are getting "more car" for the money, plus it's a 3 series "ranking" it higher than the 1. But I'm not into that. I want to know from a technical and driver's perspective, is the 135i coupe a 'purer' and better BMW than a 335i coupe?

hi chun,
like u,i'm more interested in a car's technical and handling aspect more so than the 'ranking' or even having a bigger/getting 'more' car in terms of size.

from a personal standpoint,i'd go for the 1er coupe..its a smaller car which promises a more agile and 'chuckable' character in it's handling plus being slightly lighter also promises better performance and efficiency.

no doubt,the 3er coupe is a more handsome car with better proportions..it'll be the car to be seen in and will attract more attention as far as the opposite sex goes.and it's also a great car with superb handling and performance and will serve its owner very very well indeed..but personally,i feel the 1er coupe looks more purposeful as far as it's dynamics are concerned,a more 'no-nonsense' look so to speak.

so yeah,a 135i coupe with M-DCT,tuned to 360bhp with some subtle cosmetics from the likes of ACS,Alpina or Hartge will be my choice over a 335i coupe.the 135i is also the spiritual successor to the original M3(E30),being small and light,unlike the current M3 which has grown a bit too much in both engine and physical size.

if i had the extra budget,i'd go for the 135i..

both are really great but seems like 135i is sweettttt.....checking the AB websites but couldn't find any price on the road. Anybody know please??

Yep. Sounds like the 135i is the way to go. Jeremy Clarkson (for what it's worth) gave it 5 stars and reckons it's the best BMW right now. And 001 from Autospies gave it the Best car of the year award too.

Price OTR for the 135i is RM423,800.

chun;345107 said:
Yep. Sounds like the 135i is the way to go. Jeremy Clarkson (for what it's worth) gave it 5 stars and reckons it's the best BMW right now. And 001 from Autospies gave it the Best car of the year award too.

ayaaaa.....so expensive haa...I can dream only for this time:love:

genius328i;345109 said:
ayaaaa.....so expensive haa...I can dream only for this time:love:

Alternatively, you can opt for the 125i coupe at RM323K :top:

chun;345107 said:

ouch!!:eek:

don't y'all love our gov's tax policy??? i mean,at that price,i'll probably be dreaming only la about owning the 135i..waiting for a 2nd hand price drop will probably be futile as well cuz i do think the 135i is a niche car and the numbers will be very low promising good residuals..

well,only way is to hope for an NAP policy change..:63:

Even though both ka share d same engine & chassis, 135 is 100kg lighter than 335. Thus, 135 is better ka in terms of all out performance. 135 also has electronic LSD.

335 more like a Grand Tourer. Post 2007 production 335 cannot be retrofit LSD.

By d way, if u think of mod, buy manual. I read that auto gb can take up 2 500NM torque only.

I haven't get a chance 2 drive both ka yet.

Quikflyer;345117 said:
Alternatively, you can opt for the 125i coupe at RM323K :top:

just stumbled into some info rgdg the 125i.. it does the 0-60 in 6.4secs in manual guise.not too shabby if i might say so myself!!:top:

that's already Golf GTi territory..

now i love the 1er coupe even more!!:love:

jeremy clarkson hated the 130i in 5 door guise, complaining its lack of rear space especially, but when the 135i coupe came out, he said its one of the best car on sale now..

supergripen;345968 said:
just stumbled into some info rgdg the 125i.. it does the 0-60 in 6.4secs in manual guise.not too shabby if i might say so myself!!:top:

that's already Golf GTi territory..

now i love the 1er coupe even more!!:love:

Golf GTi is much cheaper than the 125i right?

Quikflyer;348482 said:
Golf GTi is much cheaper than the 125i right?

yes it is... no doubt the Golf GTi is cheaper and more tuneable but it is a VW after all,as opposed to a BMW.different brands,different segment..well,in Malaysia anyways.

sad thing is,we don't get the performance that the price suggests if u compare it to other,more cheaper marques such as VW etc.the extra that we pay goes to the branding la(BMW as a premium brand),as opposed to say a Mitsu Evo X,where u pay extra for sublime 'go-faster' technologies crammed into the car's chassis.

If we are talking about the 1 series coupe and the 3 series COUPE...i think i may just go for the 3 coupe.

The back, similiar to 1 series, but damn chun.

Carscoop_BMW_M1.jpg

Carscoop_BMW_M2.jpg

Carscoop_BMW_M3.jpg

Carscoop_BMW_M4.jpg

:love::love::love::love:

As a daily driver I think you';d enjoy the 335i around town better. Interior build seems better too and a little more luxurious compared to the 135i. Pure performance, the 135i will prob be more fun to drive. With the same engine and drive train, less is more when it comes to performance.

I'd choose the 335i with DCT, as its more well rounded for daily use.

phas3r;373886 said:
lol coupe is sexy.. but diesel is not too sexy.. hehe

New diesel with Direct Injection is very desirable.
Slam a right turbo in, bye bye gasoline.

Top Bottom