Z3 2.2 experience

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
---------have owned and driven, Datsun SSS, Mini Clubman, Alfa Sprint Veloce, BMW 520, Audi A6, Honda CRX, Volvo 850, Merc C240 in that order - Currently own Merc 230, BMW 3.18 and the ill-fated Z3.
BMW 520 was like a truck and Z3 felt like CRX. ............

How could I missed it, I had the BMW 2002 twin cab along with Mini for a few years, gave it up due to leaded petrol requirement. Just too troublesome.

Vincent,

Anyway, as soon as I find out the probable cause I shall post it here.

BTW, I don't like to drive fast - doing over 180km/hr needs a lot of attention becuase the sense of speed goes 10 second after you reach that speed and soon becomes a meaningless enterprise.

I drive hard. It is fun to accelerate and you get it, the thrill, everytime. I find speed limit tool very very useful. Set it and you can drive as hard as you want without worrying of getting too dnagerously fast.

DO DRIVE FASTCAR HARD...DON'T DRIVE CAR FAST!!!!!

Which make has the most little problems??? BMW and Alfa - and it will be Neck and Neck race

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_1486/article.html

Entry-level BMW Z3s have always been looked down upon with a 'pretender' image; plenty of coffee culture cred but a long way off being a true performance car. The current model Z3, however, adds power with pose very nicely...

One of the most impressive areas of the current Z3 is its DOHC, 24-valve, 2.2-litre straight-six engine. Most engines can be caught out struggling 'off cam', but the Z3's 2.2 is always ready to deliver torque. It's wonderful double VANOS system (where both the inlet and exhaust camshaft angles are altered) ensures maximum efficiency the whole way through the rev range. There are no obvious points of peak torque or peak power, and the top-end remains so strong it's all too easy to bump into the 7000-rpm rev cut.

Add to this the Z3's electronic throttle control system and you've got an engine that's willing to react to even the smallest accelerator pedal movements.

Largely thanks to these features, the Z3's 2.2 is one of the sweetest engines we've ever driven

KT_wolves;293126 said:
---------have owned and driven, Datsun SSS, Mini Clubman, Alfa Sprint Veloce, BMW 520, Audi A6, Honda CRX, Volvo 850, Merc C240 in that order - Currently own Merc 230, BMW 3.18 and the ill-fated Z3.
BMW 520 was like a truck and Z3 felt like CRX. ............

How could I missed it, I had the BMW 2002 twin cab along with Mini for a few years, gave it up due to leaded petrol requirement. Just too troublesome.

Vincent,

Anyway, as soon as I find out the probable cause I shall post it here.

BTW, I don't like to drive fast - doing over 180km/hr needs a lot of attention becuase the sense of speed goes 10 second after you reach that speed and soon becomes a meaningless enterprise.

I drive hard. It is fun to accelerate and you get it, the thrill, everytime. I find speed limit tool very very useful. Set it and you can drive as hard as you want without worrying of getting too dnagerously fast.

DO DRIVE FASTCAR HARD...DON'T DRIVE CAR FAST!!!!!

Which make has the most little problems??? BMW and Alfa - and it will be Neck and Neck race

that slogan reminds me of fabian

kt wolve.... have you ever heard of this phrase... "FOOLS RUSH IN" or probably you have watch the movie instead!

i have no doubts on your driving skills, but barely 10minutes into owning a car and you are pushing it without ever having acquinted with it capabilities and behavior is just stupid. you are lucky you did not end up like the FOOL with the E60 M5 killing himself and some of his friends in the process or even causing other on the road uncalled for hazards.

Hi Forte,

Did I do a good visual inspection before buying the car? You got to assume this was the least I would do; won't pay over hundred thousand dollars with eyes closed ya?. Really surprised by the pretentious comments within this LINE OF threads.

As to finding something non visible, I did give a good 10 minutes quailty time to feel it so to speak.

There should never be any risk to kick down at 50kmh driving straight...Any Car Any Time Anywhere - especially when the tyres looked good.

That was exactly what I did ..merely acquainting it , to use your phrase -

I suppose you can suggest a better way of understanding your car. like to hear it!WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE????

p.s. There are no reasons to expect BMW Z3 kick off control be any thing different or worse from CRX, BMW2002 tii, Datsun SSS and Alfa Sprint. In fact, I expect Z3 to be a whole lot better control over torgue.

QUOTE: SEE ABOVE...Entry-level BMW Z3s have always been looked down upon with a 'pretender' image; plenty of coffee culture cred but a long way off being a true performance car. The current model Z3, however, adds power with pose very nicely...

One of the most impressive areas of the current Z3 is its DOHC, 24-valve, 2.2-litre straight-six engine. Most engines can be caught out struggling 'off cam', but the Z3's 2.2 is always ready to deliver torque. It's wonderful double VANOS system (where both the inlet and exhaust camshaft angles are altered) ensures maximum efficiency the whole way through the rev range. There are no obvious points of peak torque or peak power, and the top-end remains so strong it's all too easy to bump into the 7000-rpm rev cut.

Add to this the Z3's electronic throttle control system and you've got an engine that's willing to react to even the smallest accelerator pedal movements...DON'T I KNOW IT..

Largely thanks to these features, the Z3's 2.2 is one of the sweetest engines we've ever driven

I'm guessing something in your rear axle department gave way since the sudden application of massive power triggered the swerve. Checked your rear diff yet?? Could it be a broken spider gear? Broken control arms from torque? driveshaft u joints snapped? Just my wild guesses, real worry for a car to swerve out of control on a straight. Glad u r ok.

I bought my Z3 2.0 for nearly 6 months now, and still yet to really familar with it. Ha ha.
My side way experience was coming to a big round about. While rolling, I saw no on coming car, I floored it, kicked down, and the thing went side way first. Panic but I managed to catch it. Phew... But the keypoint is my steering was also straight. I tried it again on purpose on a straight road, and felt that the Z3 have the tendency to swing its ass to the right, which is the driver side. KT_wolves did it at 50km/h, I was more like just 15-20km/h

ausserdem;310491 said:
I bought my Z3 2.0 for nearly 6 months now, and still yet to really familar with it. Ha ha.
My side way experience was coming to a big round about. While rolling, I saw no on coming car, I floored it, kicked down, and the thing went side way first. Panic but I managed to catch it. Phew... But the keypoint is my steering was also straight. I tried it again on purpose on a straight road, and felt that the Z3 have the tendency to swing its ass to the right, which is the driver side. KT_wolves did it at 50km/h, I was more like just 15-20km/h

Heya ausserdem..
I got my Z3 2.0 for over a mth now. Power and handling isnt mindblowing, I'd say but enough for an inexperienced driver like me. :) Very comfy to use everyday.

Am actually keen to share experiences with other Z3 owners, have encountered the following symptoms which I;d like to share;-
1) Morning starts are quick but engine runs coarse for about 15 secs before idling settles down to a deep smooth growl. My throttle seems to be rather erratic if u drive off immediately after a cold start. After a few revs and once it gets to operating temp, everything is just fine. Is that normal?
2) Gear changes (auto tranny) are smooth but occasionally encounter gear knocks/jerks when I'm moving slow with sudden deceleration. I prefer to use the manual mode when on a traffic crawl.

Anyone from Penang here who would like to meet up?

What happened

The front left tyre probably damaged after making a sharp RIGHT turn.

When on straight, the front LEFT FRONT tyre was probably gone though did not feel it then but when kicked down the STRONG pull to left is very similar to a typical damaged tyre reaction.

KT Wolves

Top Bottom