Yoko Advan Neova AD07 tyres?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

E28driver

Club Guest
Anybody tried the Yoko Advan AD07? They are one of the few choices of tyres available locally in the E30 205/55x15 size. Bridgestone RE001 Adrenalin also comes in this size. Am using BS GIII now, no complaints. Any tried the AD07? How are they for wet grip, noise and wear?

I have AD07, but on my Satria, size is pretty close to yours, mine's 195/55R15... it's an all out performance tyre... very very very good grip in dry, very suitable for track days. Wet grip is above average (when comparing performance tyres) but not outstanding. Refinement... fuyoh, it's a brute force tyre, if you can withstand the noise, you are okay... Wear rate... pretty fast actually, mine's a year old, did maybe 10000km as daily ride, 30-40% thread gone, included one track day...

Have tried these tyres on my Civic EK before. The best street tyres I have ever used. Tested on both road and track. The grip is as good as semi-slick tyres. If you want grip in the dry, you cannot go wrong with these tyres. It looks damn good too.

The downside...

AD07 are soft compound tyres, this is why it gives so much grip. But it wears out faster.

Once you have lost about 20-30% of the tyres, the grip on wet roads are not so good. Advisable to drive slow on oily roads like the LDP. Over puddles, you will have minimal control because the tyres cannot 'cut' the water.

Tyres are a bit noisy. But these tyres are used on performance cars (with exhaust), so its not such a big deal.

From my experience with other cars (non-BMW), the GIII will be a much better choice for all-round performance and durability. AD07 is purely performance in the dry.

My 2 cents.

t1-r bro.... not tr-1 :) haha

toyo T1-R proxes is really good in wet but in the dry, it is still below ad07 in ranking

pussy;256290 said:
it's the latest tyre from bridgestone A01

Its called Andrenaline.

Tried it on the track, its pretty good tires for the $$$.

AD07 when it's still in its 1st 6 month = excellent grip on dry, good grip on wet... >6 months of age, it's like ice skating on WET road conditions... dry it's still good... > 1 year... sounds emitted are quite loud..

GIII's are much better....

Someone started a thread on my favourite tires?

Pros

1. Grip
2. Grip
3. Grip
4. And when the tread wears out on the inside, can switch left and right. So effectively, you give a 50% discount right there.

I have used my current set for 10 months now. I swap left and right every 3-4 months, and walah! It's like getting a new set.

Cons
1. noise - 10k
2. noise - 20k
3. noise - 30k
4. when wet, it goes like this... :burnout:

The noise gets noticable after 10k km or so. But the grip and the swappability factor makes up for it. :rock:

Lee36328;256571 said:
Pros

1. Grip
2. Grip
3. Grip
4. And when the tread wears out on the inside, can switch left and right. So effectively, you give a 50% discount right there.

I have used my current set for 10 months now. I swap left and right every 3-4 months, and walah! It's like getting a new set.

Cons
1. noise - 10k
2. noise - 20k
3. noise - 30k
4. when wet, it goes like this... :burnout:

The noise gets noticable after 10k km or so. But the grip and the swappability factor makes up for it. :rock:

How bad is the wet grip of the AD07? Subjective I know. Dangerously bad?

For a tread that's exceeded 40k km, this is what I do.

In a typical heavy downpour of recent days, I avoid going above 80 kph. When it encounters running water or water puddles, the car will pull to one side. Certainly, above 100 kph is risky except in light rain.

Of course, when the tires are new, it thresholds are higher.

IMO, after about 20-30% tyre wear, it can be quite bad in the wet. Extremely bad over puddles and slippery roads like certain parts of LDP.

During heavy rain, with a front wheel drive car, I would not go above 60km/h. Due to the design of the tyres, you are 'gliding' over puddles. Like hydroplaning.

As the tyre wear became higher, my front wheel drive car moved between lanes during heavy rain and there was no way for me to control the car. One time it moved towards a concrete divider on the left. And another time it moved towards another car on the right lane. I was fortunate enough that I regained control of the car before it caused any harm to myself and others on the road.

With aggressive driving, one track day and rotation every 3-4 months, tyres were due for change after 12 months.

Just to add, I do have mates who are using the AD07 on their DC2, R34 and RX8. The tyres are excellent, but just have to be careful in the rain.

Would I still buy these tyres? Yes, if I wanted to make love to every corner, with full confidence. Yes, if my driving style is to get in and out of a corner in high speeds. No, if I am not crazy for grip. There are other tyres that can give sufficient grip.

Lee36328;257345 said:
No wonder BMW does not make any FWD cars.

And the Mini is? :listen:

OK lah 12 mths. I try to be circumspect in the wet anyway given the tailhappy nature of the E30.

AD07 here I come!

E28driver;257361 said:
AD07 here I come!

I'm sure you gonna love it.

Don't worry too much about the wet. It's not safe to speed in the wet anyways, regardless of the tyres you are using. But when on the highways, drive safe.

okay...any tyres are good...

the cheapo silverstone i used for 6 months on my e34 can do 180km in a downpour to klia..

my old nokian tyres can do 165km on my e30 in a heavy rain to alor star..

my current michellin PP2 made in thailand can do 170km in the rain to melaka..

it's all in the confidence, downforce you have on the car..on the e30 with the Mtec bodykit is wonderful...

there is a rule on tyres during rain..anything below 80kph, you are safe.. in between 80 to 130kph, you are asking for trouble..above 130kph, the tyre manufacturers has made it possible for the tyre to cut thru the running water..
read the tyre sections.. they test it in oval curcuits up to speeds 200kph..

but a word of caution, once the car looses grip... then goodbye..
if NO BALLS, then keep it to 80pkh..

Top Bottom