X-Pel Paint Protection Film

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

darren

Club Guest
Anyone here tried this protection film? It claims to protect painted surface from stone chips. Feedback pls.AND is there any protection film for windscreen as well cause its not available from them yet.THX!

sent my E60 to paint shield for the x-pel tint. Been only less than amonth. it is not that visible on black paint but other colours u might be able to see a layer of tint over the paint. will post some pics if u need to see.

Originally posted by M5port@May 22 2006, 01:11 AM
sent my E60 to paint shield for the x-pel tint. Been only less than amonth. it is not that visible on black paint but other colours u might be able to see a layer of tint over the paint. will post some pics if u need to see.
agree, i saw one silver E46 with the film, very obvious when close up u can see the layer

I was at autospa recently and saw the paintsheild film on display on a 7 series bonnet if not mistaken and some brochures.

Depending on the coverage area it will cost me anything from RM 2k onwards. At the low end range the film only cover less than half the bonnet. They have to clean the area before applying the film but reassure me that they can still wax the car with the film on.

Quite skeptical over the claims and furthermore it is so expensive. Why don't I spend RM 500 to spray my bonnet every year. I can spray my bonnet 4 times for that price.

Allow me to comment...

Valkarie has a good idea. Spray painting can be a cheaper option sometimes than to place the X pel clear bra. But if you've decided on the clear bra then do it.

I have this product on my Audi and love it. If its done properly, it isn't that bad. On a black car it looks fine if you don't mind the line. Its visible, no doubt about that but only upclose.

Here is one picture from my car. Its got the clear bra on the hood, lower grills, headlights, and fog lights.
http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/6944/p1010010.jpg

This product is wonderful cause driving in the snow in the harsh Northeast U.S. weather takes a beating on the front end. X-pel has also been really good with customer service. They would send a replacement film if yours tears. At least in the U.S.A.

I've never heard about using the product on the windshield. Thats just too much. And way too expensive. You're better off getting insurance on the windshield.

One thing about the install. It can be tedious and very labor intensive. So if you don't want to have bubbles underneath, let the professionals handle it.

I had done it on my 525i e60 and it works perfectly well. i had it done on my front and rear bumper as well as the side skirting. I also do up for the front headlamp and the four doors edge and side mirror. It costs me nearly RM5k. From far, you won't notice it exist. It can be polished. I used to send my car to the CARS for polish and i specification instruct them not to use the jet pump directly on the edge of the film otherwise polish, can.

i heard from someone on the inside from one of these car bra dealers that the product will yellow out after some time

I have seen it on a dark blue Merc - the film gives that car the undesirable "orange peel effect" look.

I was at PaintShield @ Glenmarie today. My X-pel tint on the front bumper had sand in it after the first wash. Apparently , CARs jet sprayed the water from the top side and that's how the sand got in. However, they are willing to replace the tint for me, have to send in the car again tomorrow. The tint comes with 4 yrs warranty, and i have asked them about the tint turning yellow after awhile, they say probably its not theirs, but Llumar's. In any case, i think they are very obliging to replace if you are not satisfy with the tint.

Originally posted by M5port@May 24 2006, 11:49 AM
I was at PaintShield @ Glenmarie today. My X-pel tint on the front bumper had sand in it after the first wash. Apparently , CARs jet sprayed the water from the top side and that's how the sand got in. However, they are willing to replace the tint for me, have to send in the car again tomorrow. The tint comes with 4 yrs warranty, and i have asked them about the tint turning yellow after awhile, they say probably its not theirs, but Llumar's. In any case, i think they are very obliging to replace if you are not satisfy with the tint.
That's the thing isn't it? It becomes another thing to be concerned about. Unless you wash the car by yourself, you'll have to worry about that each time it's sent for cleaning.

oh well yeah, i guess, the price you have to pay to always maintain something as pristine as you could. But i guess if more were to use such applications, those car washers will be aware , also if you go to one place often, then you probaby have to remind them once or twice =).

I'm thinking of applying the diamondbrite so i don;t have to wax the car EVER ,( well at least for 6 yrs) and then and to prevent dust from residing too deep inside the paint . Any opinions ?

Originally posted by M5port@May 25 2006, 08:42 AM
I'm thinking of applying the diamondbrite so i don't have to wax the car EVER ,( well at least for 6 yrs) and then and to prevent dust from residing too deep inside the paint . Any opinions?
An honest opinion? If something as hard as automotive clearcoat which is oven baked can be damaged and get contaminated with oxidation, bird bombs and the like (all in a matter of weeks/months), would an external application of coating done within a few hours hold up for 6 years? It's not that I'm a skeptic, but I've seen my fair share of over-hyped magical products. All this without naming names. Nothing beats traditional regular waxing. Period. ;)

P.S. It isn't dust that resides deep in paint. You car's paintwork has a primer, basecoat (colour) and a clear coat. What gets contaminated quickly is the clearcoat via oxidation, watermarks, etc... The basecoat rarely gets affected unless heavy damages like bird bombs/watermarks is left neglected. Once the moisture evaporates, these elements turn acidic and very quickly attack the basecoat. Primers are the safest generally with the exception of deep key scratches which are usually white in colour when you look closely. That's when repainting is necessary. Just a few quick tips. Cheers!

Originally posted by M5port@May 25 2006, 09:42 PM
oh well yeah, i guess, the price you have to pay to always maintain something as pristine as you could. But i guess if more were to use such applications, those car washers will be aware , also if you go to one place often, then you probaby have to remind them once or twice =).

I'm thinking of applying the diamondbrite so i don;t have to wax the car EVER ,( well at least for 6 yrs) and then and to prevent dust from residing too deep inside the paint . Any opinions ?
was told if the coated layer suffered a crack of any kind, you gotta do it all over again...issit true?

oh yes, very interested on the clear bra for my 325i. also considering the nosemask. which is better?

macdude : well, after applying the diamondbrite of course there is a maintenance to it. need to apply the "conservor"about every month or so, can't remember...

Originally posted by M5port@May 27 2006, 02:29 AM
macdude : well, after applying the diamondbrite of course there is a maintenance to it. need to apply the "conservor"about every month or so, can't remember...
:).. wats the diff between waxing every month..? take it as another form of exercise ma...

satisfaction guaranteed man.!

in my own opinion. bout this paint protective film, its just like unwrapping the plastics from a new car.. who will benefit later? the second owner lor in the future, unless u willin to keep the car for a veli veli long long period..!

i saw a lot new cars with the plastics still on.. salute.>!

:p :p

i made up my mind. send my car next week for the X-pel....
coz found some little stone chips on the front bumper already...aiyooo hati sakitnya...

I'm in touch with a guy who formulates acrylic coatings for industrial purposes ... especially the transparent ones ... i'm going to ask him if he can make something similar for a cheaper price.

Top Bottom