WTB : E30 M40 Steering Rack

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Keano

Club Guest
Hi All,As the title says, I'm looking for a good condition used E30 M40 steering rack.Please give me a call at XXX if you have one for sale.Thanks.

E28driver;648731 said:
might as well upgrade to E36 rack.

As long as it is still economically affordable & I can find a good condition used E30 steering rack, I'd prefer to keep my E30 in its "original" state.

Keano;648804 said:
As long as it is still economically affordable & I can find a good condition used E30 steering rack, I'd prefer to keep my E30 in its "original" state.

E36 rack is more economic for long run and perform better .............

Hardly to find a good condition M40 rack as u seldom see E30 M40 halfcut at d chop shop......

e36 rack may be better but not all mechanics can do lar.....or bothered to do!how much for a e36 rack and conversion then?

Jules;648849 said:
e36 rack may be better but not all mechanics can do lar.....or bothered to do!how much for a e36 rack and conversion then?

E36 conversion maybe better but the downside is that you loose the "originality" of an E30 which is the main draw for E30 ownership...to me anyway. :eek:

i 2nd this

Lionel_Koh;648809 said:
E36 rack is more economic for long run and perform better .............

Hardly to find a good condition M40 rack as u seldom see E30 M40 halfcut at d chop shop......

Jules;648849 said:

Normally will cost 1.5k for the whole conversion icld the rack , labour ...........

Some claimed cant be done for M40 but as for me ...its can be done for either M20 and M40 cos my mech did it for both ......

Lionel, so expensive one??? Anyhow, i keep you in mind for future updates! :)

Lionel,

Thanks for your time to explain to me the E36 steering rack conversion option.

I've decided to pursue the E30 route for this. If I'm uanble to source for good condition used (& reasonably priced) E30 M40 steering rack, I'll then opt for the E36 conversion.

Jules;649607 said:
Lionel, so expensive one??? Anyhow, i keep you in mind for future updates! :)

Expensive bcos of the steering rack need lot of the time to modify from the molting position , steering coupling also all hoses.........

I recently change the power steering complete oil seal repair kit...buy from bavaria repair kit seal rm120 then overhaul the steering rack.so far more than 3 month no leak :cool:...i also got other m40 steering just waiting for overhaul..now my mech still bzy...

gizmoz82;649695 said:
I recently change the power steering complete oil seal repair kit...buy from bavaria repair kit seal rm120 then overhaul the steering rack.so far more than 3 month no leak :cool:...i also got other m40 steering just waiting for overhaul..now my mech still bzy...

How many units of E30 M40 steering rack you have lah? Intended for sale after overhauling ke?

Care to share the contact of your mechanic that did the oil seal repair & overhauling of the steering racks for you?

Keano;649705 said:
How many units of E30 M40 steering rack you have lah? Intended for sale after overhauling ke?

Care to share the contact of your mechanic that did the oil seal repair & overhauling of the steering racks for you?

Before u opt for overhauling the rack, pls get your mech to check the metal housing whether it's ok or has worn out. No repair kit will solve a worn out m40 rack.

Found a used but good condition M40 steering rack to replace my faulty unit. The steering is now back to what it was.. Woohoo.

Thanks to all who has shared their valuable advice on this matter.

Mod - Kindly close this thread.

Sorry for tumpang your thread, as yours being solve.... mine one became very very heavy as there no power assist at all. My mechanic cannot diagnose correctly.... just guessing only. At first there is a sound.. kreok...kreok at steering column just below the steering wheel ......so I need some advise from you guys, what is the main problem....thanks.

Laji;654873 said:
p/s I observe there is no leaking from steering system.

Seeing that there is no reply/advise to your query, perhaps you wanna let a mechanic to look at it?

PM me if you want the contact to the workshop that attended to my steering rack issue.

Hi guys, looking for a used/recon steering rack for e30. Any leads?

Top Bottom