Why UDM & not Vorsprung Durch Technik?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

wglee

Club Guest
What is it that makes certain people choose a BMW over an Audi and vice-versa?I notice that Audi fans are fiercely loyal to the 4 rings and very critical of BMWs. Do they know something that we don't?

Let's take you, for instance, Spaceman. Why did you decide on an E90 325i instead of the Audi A4 2.0 TFSI or even the Audi A4 2.0 TFSI Quattro, both of which are cheaper than the E90 325i and - knowing Audi - probably has better build quality and finishing?

As for me, I chose my E46 325i in 2001 because at that time there was no credible alternative from Audi. And then there were the horror stories of poor aftersales service and weak residual values...

Originally posted by wglee@Oct 14 2005, 09:34 AM
As for me, I chose my E46 325i in 2001 because at that time there was no credible alternative from Audi. And then there were the horror stories of poor aftersales service and weak residual values...
now they are under edaran? emm.. though the showroom at glenmarie is superb!!

Simple. RWD!

Audi interiors are miles better though

Bur BMW doesn't share engines or platforms with other brands.

To me, dashboard designs of BMW and Merc is still the most sexy. Audi doesn't fare too well in this dept. Personal preference. The new dash linings of new Mercs are super sexy.... :p

:D well,to tell u'all the truth the new A4 TFSi really did caught my fancy.the turbo engine is more tunable too..only thing i didn't like about it was the maintainance and spares la,cuz i'll have to rely on only one supplier(and be at their mercy).

put that aside,i wudn't mind a manual tranny A4 turbo quattro with the RS4 bodykit!!!! then i can tune the turbo for more power!!!

but as it is now,i won't touch it...

IMO, the distributors of Audi got to do a better job than just putting up a nicey showroom.

Nothing turns me off more than a salesperson who knows less about their cars than the customer as I had spoken to an Audi salesperson some 3 years back, and realized that the company have not done much in training their sales ppl at all, puts me off instantly, and went to BMW, a 'relatively' more professional company.

IMO, Audi are good cars, just the distributorship has to create credibility to encourage more converts.

Now, for me, BMW has a proven consistent market building, customer support and after sales strategy in our country, to me, they mean business and if you want to spend RM 300K or more on a car? Find one distributor that respects the kinda dough you are coughing up, just for a ride!

Now, that I am a pious BMW convert....hmm...Audi has to do more to get my business! ;)

If you want to compare, just look at VOLVO, and the RE-Volvo-lution...they did a great overhaul of their company and status some 4 years back! :yes:

Some people say that we BMW owners are of the boring "follow-the-herd" type!

Talking about the Volvo Re-Volvo-lution, it seems to have fizzled out though.

:blink: i've never heard that one before.. well,i cudn't care less what other people say,as long as i'm happy!!

having said that,i'm not an ultra fanatic bimmer guy so to speak..i just love cars.FAST cars..any cars.. its just that i think a bimmer gives me that nice balance between performance,comfort and prestige.. know what i mean?? :wink:

Originally posted by wglee@Oct 15 2005, 05:12 PM
Some people say that we BMW owners are of the boring "follow-the-herd" type!

Talking about the Volvo Re-Volvo-lution, it seems to have fizzled out though.
If we're the 'follow the herd' type, I cannot imagine the driver's of other mass brands....hahahaha..... :nyehehe: :aggressive: :dunno:

Why BMW?

.. cos it drive and handle much better than Merc, Volvo
.. cos it resell value hold much better than Audi, Volvo, Alfa, Peugeot, Citroen
.. cos it is much comfortable and more "class" than those Japs
.. cos the ladies will "appreciate" it more than many others brand

That's why after I sold off my last bmw (my third), with cash in the pocket, after going around n around n around to consider other make, I end up bought my 4th BMW (despite a used one again!). :)

Why not Audi?

newrs4B7-03.jpg

newrs4B7-01.jpg

Having test driven both the A4 and e90 325i, the latter stands out but by just...The A4's interior is so much better, then again even the e46's interior is better than the e90.. :yes: If only Audi did something to clean-up its not so god reputation re after sales and maintenance, i would have driven the new A4 by now plus at around RM280K, it's RM40K cheaper than the e90 325i. Btw, AB and Catrade will be increasing their prices effective next week, some say by 5%!!!.

The Audi drives smoother, is better built, is more refined and does everything very very well. And that's the problem. It's plain boring! How many horses can you wring out the front wheels before torque steer spoils everything? And how do you achieve some tail out fun in a FWD car? Use the handbrake?

I must admit to being totally in love with the old A4 for the way it looks and for the quality of it but after test driving one, I changed my mind. I mean it's a bit better than a Toyota Camry because it has a bit of soul and pretty good poise for a FWD but just about as boring otherwise. And the Camry rides better. But compared to a proper BMW it just loses out in the fun department. Moreover, a BMW has both ride and handling but on an Audi it's one or the other. And you still can't get no tail out fun.

i donno either my opinion is valid in this discussion since i bought a 8 years old bmw.....not the 100k+ new ride :p ....rather still, IMHO why bmw?
coz its brand name BMW......its covered everything... i mean, the name, the look, the performance, the variety, the quality, the reputation...... and its not an overnight achievements!! my 2 cents

Originally posted by wglee@Oct 14 2005, 08:11 PM
What is it that makes certain people choose a BMW over an Audi and vice-versa?

I notice that Audi fans are fiercely loyal to the 4 rings and very critical of BMWs. Do they know something that we don't?
Hi!

I used to owned a Audi Quattro in Germany in the mid '90s and I must admit that Audi is fantastic in wet condition. Had a race with my friend's M3 (E30) on a wet condition in the German Autobahn. We were driving about 180-200 km/h having the M3 behind me. After less then 5 minutes I can see the M3 behind me spinning and crash on the devider.... total lost! Luckily he was still alright to step out of his car. Audi is very much steadier on a wet condition, but the gear-box is a piece of crab!!! Too noisy and wont last for a time long.

However, after changing a Audi to a Bimmer... it is nothing you can compare with... you just fall in love with the bimmer! The shape, engine and power of the car is just forever!

Hail all Bimmer on the road....!

Teekay, i salute you for having had the opprtunity to own both marques which makes your feedback most valuable.. :eek:k:

that's the advantage of the quattro system i guess..4WD la.in the wet,the best setup wud be 4WD..no contest.

that's why i think the A4 2.0TFSi Quattro wud be formidable once u've tuned the turbo engine..

but in the wet i normally drive slow..4WD or no 4WD!!!! no point risking it.. IMHO

BMW sedans are available in certain countries as 4WDs too - eg. E46 325iX and 330iX - but I think in LHD form only.

Top Bottom