white greasy (fat like) substance found in expansion tank

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

badass_ck

Club Guest
Dear sifus, I realised this issue almost a few months ago after I overhauled my N42 engine. I thought it was normal until someone asked in this forum's facebook page. Sifu Jarance replied in fb saying it could be due to the seal at the heat exchange. I will send for checks asap but do all the experts here have any other input on: 1) the seriousness / cause of the issue 2) costs involve to rectify. Thanks a lot!

The last I experienced this meant water went into engine block and it took me a top overhaul to solve it...hope it's not the case for you.

Hi,

I went to the workshop today. I was told that it could be the 1) overheat exchange at the engine 2) auto cooler.3) worst case is there's a leak in the engine block where a change of engine is required this is the problem

As suggested, i changed the auto cooler to see if the problem still occurs. According to the boss, if it is not repaired, it will affect the gearbox. Total cost is RM 480.

badass_ck;n1326361 said:
Hi,

I went to the workshop today. I was told that it could be the 1) overheat exchange at the engine 2) auto cooler.3) worst case is there's a leak in the engine block where a change of engine is required this is the problem

As suggested, i changed the auto cooler to see if the problem still occurs. According to the boss, if it is not repaired, it will affect the gearbox. Total cost is RM 480.

Hi , usually this white stuff in expansion tank is due to a faulty heat exchanger. After change you need to do a coolant flush.
There are similar cases to yours in this thread, go through them. You might find the answers there.

Hi Strider74,

Thanks for the info. I'd repaced the 'auto cooler' and now monitoring to see if there this issue still persist. Otherwise, i will have to send back to replace the heat exchanger :D

Thanks again :D

Top Bottom