which to choose 03 325i or 03 325i smg

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

wee89

Club Guest
i am thinking of getting an 03 325 smg but friend told me it will be big headache if you driving an smg because it give a lot of problem, as the normal 325i provide the same horse power too plus it easy to drive comparing to SMG. Izzit true ?:confused: What the different of these two model? The price of SMG model year 2003 selling at RM 160K ++ but the normal one is about RM 140K - RM 150K.Since it only 10K difference, i really want to get an prefect one, since this is my first time buying an bmw....:D

You can't beat a 3 pedal car...go with the manual transmission!!

eerr..sorry, did you mean that SMG is an manual transmission? I thought it is like semi auto or something which had no clutch pedal.. izzit? i really don't know

Nope...SMG is a semi-manual, I assume the other car is steptronic. Try to find a good old fashion 3-pedal manual car, the way God intended :D

SMG is a mixed bag of nuts. There are many opinions to it. Imho its still too awkward for all-rounded day-to-day use. I won't get into it now but taking the lead from BMW, they are slowly phasing it out in favor of the DSG type of transmission.

At the end of the day, its up to you. Go test drive both and see which one you like best. GL.

i think we have to be realistic here...finding a manual E46 325i in Malaysia will be very unlikely ;)

given the 2 choices, i'd say get the normal auto....although best u shud try them both, see which one u like

shaifulo;204932 said:
i think we have to be realistic here...finding a manual E46 325i in Malaysia will be very unlikely ;)

given the 2 choices, i'd say get the normal auto....although best u shud try them both, see which one u like

ya i agree.. I go through some of the "motor trader" and fing no any manual E46 325i are for sale.Plus due to all day "JAM" in Malaysia, auto should be the best choice.But SMG is like more sport look.. "sigh" hard to choose...:D

If you're worried about the traffic crawl, go with the steptronic, it's quite fun in its own right.

I have the step (because my wife can't drive MT) but not a day goes by where I don't long for the MT. My next one will definitely be MT. I brought up the MT suggestion as you were looking for the 'perfect one' :)

Have fun with your search...

shaifulo;204932 said:

evasuzuki82 have one, buts its ci UK spec.

Hi all,
wee89, im planning 2 get smg or normal 325 as well..same here im not sure bout this. Have u choose? y? wat the diff?

Airylush, may i know wat do u mean by smooth shifting? u mean smg spec is a manual? where is the clucth?? then is not an auto la? can u pls describe how 2 drive?

Im realy blur liao.... smg or normal????? pls help....

ericekyo;206190 said:
Hi all,
wee89, im planning 2 get smg or normal 325 as well..same here im not sure bout this. Have u choose? y? wat the diff?

Airylush, may i know wat do u mean by smooth shifting? u mean smg spec is a manual? where is the clucth?? then is not an auto la? can u pls describe how 2 drive?

yes, confirm you are blur :D

ericekyo;206190 said:
Hi all,

First of all, please do your research on what is a SMG. Have you driven an Alfa Selespeed? Both are more or less the same. Takes a few practices to get things right (smooth shifting). I suggest that you test drive both versions before making the decision.

My guess is that you will buy the auto tranny. Nope, I correct that. I guarantee that you will definitely choose the auto over the SMG.

SMG is not everybody's cup of tea, especially for someone who intends to buy one and doesn't know the difference between the two.

ericekyo;206190 said:
Hi all,

Yeah... you need to learn more about SMG if you choose to own one.

SMG is like F1 transmission. It have an electro-hydraulic clutch but control by the car not you. You may shift via steering wheel or the selelctor lever and the car will handle the clutch.

You need to learn the right way to shift the gear and throttle control to get the smooth change if not, it will be jerky.

The car also have auto mode (Cruise mode) which make the car shift automaticly. It is not as smooth as auto gerabox since the car use clutch not torque converter like auto car. It feels like driving Perdana V6 if you ask me.

There is few other mode like sports mode, launch control, etc.

This gearbox is not for people who dont like to take a challange.. but when you really understand and get the right shifting.. it is the best gearbox ever (for me) and my next car will only have this kind of gearbox.. :p

You need to test drive to understand more and to see either you will like it.

Problems? For me, it is about luck, some car have some car not and lucky me, so far my gearbox doesnt give problems at all.

Good Luck...

e46 325 is good enough imo. heard a couple of unpleasant stories about smg..

Top Bottom