Which one better ///M3

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

initialM

Official Member
Dear ///M3 sifu, Any advice on E36 M3 & E46 M3? General question on overall. Thanks for inputs.

initialM;555077 said:
Dear ///M3 sifu,

Any advice on E36 M3 & E46 M3? General question on overall. Thanks for inputs.

First of all I am def not an 'M' sifu but will try to 'enlighten' you with my personal opinions...

Saying one generation of the M cars is better than the other in my opinion would be blasphemy!

I've never had the opportunity to be behind an E30 M3, but have driven the other three generations of Ms and fortunate enough to own one. Each of the three have its own driving characteristics unique to itself.

The earlier E36 M3 is less intrusive [a debateable point if compared to the E30 M3] to one's driving, hence sometimes called 'raw' comparitive to the E46 M3 and of course the latest E92 M3 with its barrage of electronic driver's assistance. Although, these 'assistance' can be switched off for track-days or for those wanting to induldge in 'spirited' drives when the need arises for that rawness.

A point I would like to note here is, 'refinement'. You wouldn't want to ride a bronco [not that the E36 is one] everyday if you had a choice would you? But you would still want the 'wild' torque to be instantly available on demand, yes?

Thus, the necessary evil of having all those electronic controls to 'domesticate' the 300+ wild ponies you have under the hood...

Having said the above, even with 'default' settings, it can be a handful riding her! And beware of her temperament, else you'll find yourself in a ditch...

Which brings me to my final point in trying to answer your question. Its all about what you want from her, what she offers and what you can provide. It is a mating of two souls...

So back to your question again... which is the better M?

They are like sisters... I don't care which is the better one. I'll have them all, thank you!!!

wah... all going M ni.... tak boleh jadik... must go find an M.... maybe a Maserati :p :p or Murcielago :D :D

For E46 M3 ....make sure buy those 2001 and above ............

For me E30 M3 always my 1st choice ...........

Lionel_Koh;555319 said:
For E46 M3 ....make sure buy those 2001 and above ............

For me E30 M3 always my 1st choice ...........

You sure 2001 and not 2002? The initial batch of E46 M3 was produced in September 2000, but it was left hand drive. Right hand drive version was made in February 2001. So 2001 can buy? Are you sure!!

AS for me, each generation of the M3 cars have its own special place amongst the enthusiasts.

The E30 M3, especially the EVO version is a beast that finds its natural habitat on the race track and has won numerous races. What more with its wide body, 16in BBS rim and that big bad @$$ spoiler made it a true BMW Icon. Not that the E30 M3 is any faster than a Honda Civic Type R or an E90 330Ci, but during its heyday it was a special machine.

The E36 M3 is where BMW attempted to sell more of these cars. Generally this generation of cars are regarded as mild M3s, given the rather sedate looks which made it hard for enthusiasts to separate a normal 318iS coupe to the real beast. However beneath the skin that's where lies the potent inline 6 that in the EVO form, is pumping out 321 throughbred German Ponies which again the mid 90s was a milestone as the first BMW street car that achieved that magical 100hp/liter mark. It was also the first time, a multilink suspension was employed at the rear of which to me, marks the modern BMW era.

When the E46M3 was launched, it was hailed as one of the best cars in the World back in 2000. Everyone raved about it, the S54 engine when reaching the red light district produces better sonic experience than Anna Kournikova and Monica Seles combined at their peak.

There is DSC, usage of composite materials in the front and rear bonnets, 6 speed SMG2, wide body (which was missing in the E36), alumimium suspension arms, shift light indicators and etc. The best of the lot, is of course the CSL :)

The only downside of the E46M3 compared to the earlier models is the weight, which didn't make it significantly faster than the E36 M3 EVO. In fact the S54 engine is an evolution of the previous S50, of which the engineers bored the block and also used a taller rear differential (3.64 versus 3.23) to improve on the 0-100 times, of which otherwise I think the E36 M3 EVO could be as fast, if not faster.

All together, each to his own but having driven all three cars I would love to have the E30M3 more so for its place in Motorsport history and the looks as well, together with the E46 M3 which with all the bells and whistles made it a perfect car, that have its place as a daily ride and on the track.

Cheers

initialM;555077 said:
Dear ///M3 sifu,

ni gaji baru mesti mantap ni? commission lagi....pergh

buy x3 :top:

initialM;555077 said:
Dear ///M3 sifu,

/// M Division carved out the perfect ride by far, the most number of model sold worldwide...E46 imho

5 seater, coupe, good looks & all the ponies, N/A...

I would buy again, if it was new today :top:

Then again, it doesn't matter which model you have or owned...

It's the whole /// M xperience and the smile each time you step into one of them!

Prices are within reach to a lot nowadays, live your dream ride today mate...no regrets, this I can assure you!

my2kupangs...

afifazhanee;555406 said:
Dia sudah gatal tangannnnnnnnn :top:

Whole body oso gatal. Unless u sell yr 330ci cheap ok lor.

affan66;555318 said:
wah... all going M ni.... tak boleh jadik... must go find an M.... maybe a Maserati :p :p or Murcielago :D :D

For you must buy at least E92 335 so can hold yr rempit title

Bailey;555349 said:
bravo la IM ............M on the way wor

Still pening what car to buy. Maybe go for new comin WAJA.

shaifulo;555403 said:
ni gaji baru mesti mantap ni? commission lagi....pergh

buy x3 :top:

Not really ler bro. I redy kiss goodbye for this year incentive from previous job.
U lagi mantap:listen:. Still lots of uncertainty in current job. Unless AK want to give me shares hahaha.

Thanks to all inputs & poison of course. Being addicted to BMW nothing else would define satisfaction until you own a BMW from ///M Division. Buying is 1 thing but maintaining is another issue. Been meddling wt 3 BMW model so far makes me think 10 times to buy ///M car. Since my E46 goin off soon & possibility of E39 sellin oso, really got headache to buy what car. Tested a lot of cars & brand oso but nothing beats dynamic of BMW. Since getting older, my next car will be the car until the rest of my life. Anyway I still need 2 cars at 1 time. Since my plan of having 3, 5 & 7 series at one time put off due to the sale of E46. I know it would be awesome to have ///M car in my garage & it will live up the real initial///M hehehe

Daredevil;555426 said:

Wei Tun DD,

U better buy those cars ler. Then u bored can pass to me cheap cheap.

NKTOB;555421 said:
/// M Division carved out the perfect ride by far, the most number of model sold worldwide...E46 imho

5 seater, coupe, good looks & all the ponies, N/A...

I would buy again, if it was new today :top:

Then again, it doesn't matter which model you have or owned...

It's the whole /// M xperience and the smile each time you step into one of them!

Prices are within reach to a lot nowadays, live your dream ride today mate...no regrets, this I can assure you!

my2kupangs...

Ur my Idol:love:

Do not know how different the chassis is between the Euro and US spec e36 M, but this thread here lists almost all the common maintenance items and problems found on the US spec e36 M. The word out there is that the e36 M's are victims of cost cutting. Sheet metal at some places are known to tear and fail (generally from track/autocross usage, but there are examples of it happening to a non-tracked car as well).

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=300562

But then again the e46 M's have their own host of problems. But, if you can afford it, these will be absolutely rewarding machines to drive.

initialM;555451 said:
Wei Tun DD,

U better buy those cars ler. Then u bored can pass to me cheap cheap.

Ok ok i start collecting....but macam mana nak hantar balik?:sleep:

NKTOB quoted, "It's the whole /// M xperience and the smile each time you step into one of them!"
Well said bro.
Andrew,
U bukan aja buat kita maikn gatal tangan malah seluruh badan dah mula menggatal skrg.

Top Bottom