Wheel spacers

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Tianci, best is change the rim with the offset you need. But generally with 18inch rims, don't think
you need anything more than 15mm. It also depends on the type of tires you have, some allow a more aggressive offset due to the sidewall design. For instance Conti CSC tires tapers off at the top of the side wall while the PSS is more squarish and hence it may rub against the fender with similar offset.

Go for it, better looks and handling:)

aoch88;736994 said:
That would be a fantastic idea :) I'm sure you will love it once you had it on your car. It gives a very nice look for the wheels.

I do like the slightly wider stance, only concern is the wear and tear. Taiwan spacers any good? Some say the quality is much better now.

Go for quality spacers like H&R or Eibach, don't think it's a lot more. A pair of 10mm spacers with longer bolts is about 500 bucks.

tIANcI;736997 said:
I do like the slightly wider stance, only concern is the wear and tear. Taiwan spacers any good? Some say the quality is much better now.

I'm using locally made spacers and so far my wheels are still intact, lol. I wanted to buy better ones but ordering them from USA would take time so ended up with locally made stuffs.

ALBundy;736998 said:
Go for quality spacers like H&R or Eibach, don't think it's a lot more. A pair of 10mm spacers with longer bolts is about 500 bucks.

Yeah ... no point trying to save a bit then car ends up in a ditch. Is that 500/pair? Must go check if my workshop is free in the morning. :) Jeng jeng jeng ... go spur the economy a bit.

Yup a pair for around 500 bucks. Made in Germany, and it's alloy. I have Eibach on mine.

Even if use Taiwanese ones, car won't end up in longkang la as long as the bolts are long enough.

ALBundy;737002 said:
Yup a pair for around 500 bucks. Made in Germany, and it's alloy. I have Eibach on mine.

Even if use Taiwanese ones, car won't end up in longkang la as long as the bolts are long enough.

Okay la ... workshop says 15mm and free in the morning to do it. Let's see how she looks after that. Then need to lower the shocks and put in some hydraulics to make the ride dance. :)

tIANcI;737003 said:
Okay la ... workshop says 15mm and free in the morning to do it. Let's see how she looks after that. Then need to lower the shocks and put in some hydraulics to make the ride dance. :)

I think it's better to lower then only spacers because if your ride height goes down, you can push it a bit wider :) The next spacer size after 15mm would be 18mm, 20mm, 25mm, ...

aoch88;737006 said:
I think it's better to lower then only spacers because if your ride height goes down, you can push it a bit wider :) The next spacer size after 15mm would be 18mm, 20mm, 25mm, ...

aoch88 ... thanks for the advice. I was just kidding. Am not going to lower the car. Happy with the ride height. Our Malaysian roads suck. Each day I tell myself this. When I meet the PM I will ask him what car he drives so that I can own the same thing. I mean, he must have a car with amazing shocks.

Was contemplating on upgrading to 19s from my current 18" setup.BUT as we all know,our 'beautiful' roads are merciless when it comes to alloy wheels,and the ride they give especially on our stiff BMWs is just crazy.
As an alternative,I'm thinking of keeping the 18s(Forgestar F14s 8.5x18 and 9.5x18) and lowering the car with KW coilovers and widening the track with some H&R or Eibach spacers.What do you guys think? Should make the car look more garang without resorting to 19s,no?

I'm hesitant on letting go the Forgestar 18s cuz they are so friggin' light and I love 'em.Once I go 19s,all the lightness goes out the window..

@supergripen, that would certainly be a good idea. Spacers are very popular these days and in the States, many people run their BMW's with spacer for better looks and handling.

supergripen ... I did think of 19" too but then the workshop says 8k rims are not much lighter. The 193s already look nice. So I decided not to spend 8k just to have the chrome look. True also with 19" on 30/35 series the ride gonna be do much gun on our amazing Malaysian roads.

As for lowering the car, I was unsure how the new springs such as H&R would be like. I enjoy the stock set up a lot. Not much to complain about it other than maybe a slightly harder rear may keep the rear in line s smidge.

Al ... Off sets are a much better bet but new rims and new tyres. Need to go rob banks soon. :0)

If you go for proper branded wheels like VMR, HRE, Breyton, etc they should weight around +/- 25 pounds per wheel for 19". Of course the Forgestar F14 is slightly lighter by 2-3 pounds but I'm sure you won't feel much of a difference. Taiwan rims would very likely be heavier (I suppose)?

aoch88;737029 said:
If you go for proper branded wheels like VMR, HRE, Breyton, etc they should weight around +/- 25 pounds per wheel for 19". Of course the Forgestar F14 is slightly lighter by 2-3 pounds but I'm sure you won't feel much of a difference. Taiwan rims would very likely be heavier (I suppose)?

The 8.5x18 F14s I have weighs 18lbs,the rears a tad bit more.Felt better even compared to the 193s I had before.

supergripen;737036 said:
The 8.5x18 F14s I have weighs 18lbs,the rears a tad bit more.Felt better even compared to the 193s I had before.

Then its easy. You go buy new 19s for your car and hand me your F14s cheap cheap ok. :0) You happy, me happier!

supergripen;737036 said:

18 lbs is very light indeed :) VMR 710's are around 23 lbs, Breyton GTS around 20 lbs (both 18")

My previous HRE C20 3-piece 19" rims weigh 8.5 kg for 8.5x19" and 9 kg for 10.5x19".
For comparison M3 style 220 weigh 11.5 kg for 8.5x19" and 12 kg for 9.5x19", Style 359 weigh 11.5 kg for 9x19" and 12 kg for 10x19".

My personal choice:
http://www.hrewheels.com/p40/

bro after u try 20mm each sides do let me know how is the handling...hehe
ALBundy;736953 said:
I had added spacers to my ride recently, all I can say its a great mod not only for looks but improves the cars handling.

Adding spacer to the front actually reduces understeer, giving the car more bite. Depending on how thick the spacer is, it may or may not affect the "turn in" ability of the car. My front offset has increased by about 10mm compared to ori (5mm due to different wheel, plus a 5mm spacer) and and I do not feel the "turn in" is affected but the speed I can carry around corners has increased tremendously.

Basically a wider track width, will make the car more stable around corners. If you look at the evolution of the 3 series, the car has become wider and wider. In the E90, the track width is almost similar to the E46 M3 and then the LCI got another 20mm wider at the rear. Now the F30 is even wider!!

Top Bottom