Wheel spacers

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

tIANcI

Club Guest
Anyone noticed any accelerated wear and tear after the long term use of wheel spacer? It may give the car a nice stance but am wondering about the side effects. Thanks!

It will strain the wheel bearing so assuming your wheel bearing can last you 100,000km, using spacers will reduce the life span to about 80,000km. Other than that there's nothing else but make sure you get the right size so that your tyres won't rub with the car body :)

aoch88;736582 said:
It will strain the wheel bearing so assuming your wheel bearing can last you 100,000km, using spacers will reduce the life span to about 80,000km. Other than that there's nothing else but make sure you get the right size so that your tyres won't rub with the car body :)

Wanna look good and kill the bearings etc. Like women in high heels huh? :)

tIANcI;736585 said:
Wanna look good and kill the bearings etc. Like women in high heels huh? :)

Sort of, lol. Don't worry about the wheel bearings so much because it is something with a long lifespan. I run on spacers too.

aoch88;736610 said:
Sort of, lol. Don't worry about the wheel bearings so much because it is something with a long lifespan. I run on spacers too.

My concern will also be for the bush etc. The load, if any, will not only be taken by the bearings. Hmmmmm ... decisions.

tIANcI;736618 said:
My concern will also be for the bush etc. The load, if any, will not only be taken by the bearings. Hmmmmm ... decisions.

Just use the spacers. By the time it starts to break apart you already bought the new F10 :)

With spacer, turning radius suffers too. But handling improves due to the wider wheel~tarmac contact.

astroboy;736730 said:
With spacer, turning radius suffers too. But handling improves due to the wider wheel~tarmac contact.

Whether it affects your turning radius would depends on your tyre size (height/width) and thickness of your spacer. I'm on 20mm spacers and I can't feel any difference at all in terms of turning radius. I do a very tight U-turn to work everyday in my housing area.

True...it affects the turning radius...also it improves handling up to certain extend...by adding spacer to the front excessively the car will find it hard to turn into bends thus it is prone to understeering...improves straight line handling yes, cornering handling depends...

astroboy;736730 said:

I had added spacers to my ride recently, all I can say its a great mod not only for looks but improves the cars handling.

Adding spacer to the front actually reduces understeer, giving the car more bite. Depending on how thick the spacer is, it may or may not affect the "turn in" ability of the car. My front offset has increased by about 10mm compared to ori (5mm due to different wheel, plus a 5mm spacer) and and I do not feel the "turn in" is affected but the speed I can carry around corners has increased tremendously.

Basically a wider track width, will make the car more stable around corners. If you look at the evolution of the 3 series, the car has become wider and wider. In the E90, the track width is almost similar to the E46 M3 and then the LCI got another 20mm wider at the rear. Now the F30 is even wider!!

Great experience and explanation there ALBundy :) Actually the stock wheels are inwards from the fender because in Germany, there is a TUV requirement/standards for winter tyres. Since we do not have winter here, having the rims on the same line as the fender is not an issue (except for rubbing if it's too much).

Maybe a 10mm spacer for front and back would be okay ... a lot of people run 20mm ... Hmmmmm ... it does give the car a nicer stance.

tIANcI;736970 said:
Maybe a 10mm spacer for front and back would be okay ... a lot of people run 20mm ... Hmmmmm ... it does give the car a nicer stance.

No boss, it's not calculated like this :) First you need to know your current rim's offset and then your tyre size. There's no fixed spacer size, it all depends on individual setup.

aoch88;736973 said:
No boss, it's not calculated like this :) First you need to know your current rim's offset and then your tyre size. There's no fixed spacer size, it all depends on individual setup.

I gotta send my car to you la! LOL!!! I tot tambah only as long as when it compressed it does not rub against the wheel arch. Kekekekeeke ...

tIANcI;736975 said:
I gotta send my car to you la! LOL!!! I tot tambah only as long as when it compressed it does not rub against the wheel arch. Kekekekeeke ...

LOL. You can follow this guide to measure and it's very easy:
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-wheel-spacers-encyclopedia.aspx

There are 2 types of spacers. If you go for spacers 20mm and above, they are bolt-on to your wheels then your rims bolted onto the spacer. If you go for 18mm and below, you need longer lug nuts because the spacers have holes that you bolt directly into the axle along with your rims. If you get the wrong size and your wheel rubs, you will have to change spacers again (and waste money) so better to measure correctly :p

aoch88;736986 said:
LOL. You can follow this guide to measure and it's very easy:
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-wheel-spacers-encyclopedia.aspx

There are 2 types of spacers. If you go for spacers 20mm and above, they are bolt-on to your wheels then your rims bolted onto the spacer. If you go for 18mm and below, you need longer lug nuts because the spacers have holes that you bolt directly into the axle along with your rims. If you get the wrong size and your wheel rubs, you will have to change spacers again (and waste money) so better to measure correctly :p

Ok ok ... I go to a proper shop. Tell them tambah for me till I think it looks good. Then if it falls apart I sue them ok. That is if I survive the crash la ... :)

tIANcI;736991 said:
Ok ok ... I go to a proper shop. Tell them tambah for me till I think it looks good. Then if it falls apart I sue them ok. That is if I survive the crash la ... :)

That would be a fantastic idea :) I'm sure you will love it once you had it on your car. It gives a very nice look for the wheels.

Top Bottom