Wheel Lug Bolt Too Tight

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

mushaini

Club Guest
Dear sifus,

A few months ago, one of my tyres had a puncture. Went to a tyre shop to fix the leak. When they fixed the tyre back, they used the air gun to lock all the lug bolts. One of the five bolt is a security lug bolt.

Now, my problem is, when I try to open this wheel for alignment check, the security lug bolt is too tight. It cannot be undone. Note that to open this security bolt, you have to use a lug nut, a special one with a unique pattern. However, the pattern is too 'shallow'. Since the lug bolt is too tight, the nut keeps slipping and coming off.

I have taken the car to two tyre shops and they cannot do it. Anyboy can advice what to do and/or where to do it?

Somebody suggested have to "burn" the bolt, or use welding to remove the bolt (???)

Appreciate any feedback.

Thank you.

The pattern is shallow on which end? The nut itself (screwed to the car) or the lock key? If it is the lock key, go to the stockist shop (Auto Bavaria) and pass them your current lock nut. Ask them to see if they have stock for the lock nuts which are the same as yours. You need to buy a whole set. Make sure that they test it out on your existing nut first.

The problem is at both end, I guess. Both the nut and the lock key has a very 'shallow' pattern. Since the nut was over-tightened, there is not enough grip to open the nut. Your suggestion to try using a new lock nut is worth trying.

Thank you

use the X tyre opener, stuff some thin cloth inside the nut opener, use a long metal pipe attached to the X tyre opener & put force on it.

Top Bottom