What's a good BMW model for newbies?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Knight2000

Club Guest
Im thinking of getting a 2nd hand E36. Is that a good model for new starter like me?Im quite concern about the maintenance as i've been through the E36 part and maintenance thread and i notice on average when you send in the car for repairs its in the region of 1K-8K depending on the problems each time.My current ride is a peugeot 405 and so far after using it for about 2 years, my total repair damage is only up to about 8K++ in total but thats about 2 years of usage so to me i think's a fair deal to maintain.is there a more reliable model or a more economical model of BMW. My budget is about 40K++ for buying and that's why i noted the 90's model of E36is in this range of price.Please advise all the great sifu out there. Thanks.

The most reliable E36 that in my humble opinion is the 318i with M43 engine.oh yeah get a manual tranny pls.
BMW autogearbox are prone to be exhausted due to high milaege.Drive the car stock and you'll be happy.
If wants more power ...then get the M3. No point spending on modification.

Zoggee;242361 said:
The most reliable E36 that in my humble opinion is the 318i with M43 engine.oh yeah get a manual tranny pls.
BMW autogearbox are prone to be exhausted due to high milaege.Drive the car stock and you'll be happy.
If wants more power ...then get the M3. No point spending on modification.

Im used to manual gearbox, how do I recognise a M43 engine? Is there some kind of label? BTW why M43?

Thanks.

M40 engine comes with timing belt which required that they be
changed at a regular interval of about 45000 to 60000 Km.

M43 engine if I am not mistaken come with timing chain which
tend to last longer than timing belt..

For locally assemble E36 318i there are M40 (1992/1993)and M43.(1994-1999)
Of course there are E36 318is(Imported) which is M42 and M44 both DOHC . Lets get to your topic of the lowest maintenance of all E36.
The M43 is timing chain where as the M40 is timing belt which need replacement every 40 to 50k KM. Manual is only available up to year 1995.

But manual sooooo much more fun :p
So doing calculations:
M43 recomended comes from 1994 onward.
Manual only goes up to 1995
1994 ECU can not be flashed as easily as 1995 onwards
so choices are....

1995 M43 318i (115 bhp)or
1995 M42 318is (140bhp Sports edition more hp and double Overhead cam)

Depending from what you want out of your car if you looking for some mild performance and easier tuning best to go with manual 95 model 318is in my opinion.

Hello Knight2000

In my point of view, if u plan to buy E36, u better use it until finish the loan installment. Unless u have load of money to purchase it in ca$h. The retail value is not competitive though. In other hand, its quite difficult to get high loan amount for car > 10 years these days. In fact the interest rate also damn high.

My suggestion is E46 pre-facelift or facelift. This will worth another 3-7 more years

Top Bottom