What is purpose of this part

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Alex5522

Club Guest
Can some tell what is the purpose of this part, why some car got this part and some dosen't ?Thanks.
5857121964_41667c796b_z.jpg

I think its hidraulic clucth pump..hehe, just guessing bcoz never see manual engine's bay..

so far..i think japan spec will have tht vacuum jet thing...other country wont have tht

yerps....same here...mine is Japan spec too... and I dont have that part too....

The mechanic of the workshop i use to visit told me that it was to prevent the petrol smell going to the cabin but i don't know how true was it.

for emission control only....cost a bomb to replace it though as maintenance...better just remove....=P

The secondary air pump, located near the firewall on the passenger side of the engine compartment, draws air from the engine compartment and injects it into the exhaust manifolds to provide extra oxygen to the catalytic converter and reduce cold start emissions. A non-return valve mounted on the exhaust manifolds normally prevents exhaust gases from flowing back into the pump. When the non-return valve fails, moisture in the exhaust gases accumulates in the pump, causing it to eventually fail.

This pump normally sounds like a vacuum cleaner under the hood, and it only operates for the first couple of minutes after you start the car. It will not leave you stranded if it should fail. You can replace the parts at your leisure, unless you have an emissions inspection coming up.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92029

Alex5522;648048 said:
Can some tell what is the purpose of this part, why some car got this part and some dosen't ?
Thanks.

5857121964_41667c796b_z.jpg

Wow, sooo clean la the engine compartment. What do you do to keep it so clean ?

IanDaddy;648623 said:
Wow, sooo clean la the engine compartment. What do you do to keep it so clean ?

Nothing special bro just use the wet cloth to wipe it often like i used to wash my face every morning he..he...

Ade;648471 said:
for emission control only....cost a bomb to replace it though as maintenance...better just remove....=P

No big issue bro i am just curious why some car got and some car did not. Btw thinking of just dismantle it as u said.

paultantk;648475 said:
The secondary air pump, located near the firewall on the passenger side of the engine compartment, draws air from the engine compartment and injects it into the exhaust manifolds to provide extra oxygen to the catalytic converter and reduce cold start emissions. A non-return valve mounted on the exhaust manifolds normally prevents exhaust gases from flowing back into the pump. When the non-return valve fails, moisture in the exhaust gases accumulates in the pump, causing it to eventually fail.

This pump normally sounds like a vacuum cleaner under the hood, and it only operates for the first couple of minutes after you start the car. It will not leave you stranded if it should fail. You can replace the parts at your leisure, unless you have an emissions inspection coming up.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92029

Now i know whats that vaccum-like sound... in the morning and cold starts...

I think it is called secondary air-pump , comes with the so called cold weathers package. This is to help reduce emission during cold start in extreme cold weather.

IanDaddy;648636 said:
I think it is called secondary air-pump , comes with the so called cold weathers package. This is to help reduce emission during cold start in extreme cold weather.

So it is good for those who regular visit Genting Highland and no worried of can't start the car.
No wonder i can start my car on 1 kick only at GH he..he...

Alex5522;648644 said:
So it is good for those who regular visit Genting Highland and no worried of can't start the car.
No wonder i can start my car on 1 kick only at GH he..he...

Not really. It is actually meant for cold country as in temperature below - 10 degC.

Top Bottom