Weekend Car - E60 523i 2007

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

icycokes

Hi guys. I am new here and am comtemplating to get a used E60 523i 2007.

So my current ride is an old Proton Satria 1.3 1996 (owned since 2009) and thinking of changing it. So far, the car has served me well, have not changed any major parts (other than an engine overhaul two years back which costs RM1000, and aircond compressors, around RM1,200, twice). As a result, when it comes to maintaining a car, I'm not very knowledgeable and fully dependent on mechanics.

Long story short, I saw this rare manual (6 Speed) BMW 523i ad on the internet going for RM84,000 (Mileage - 89K KM). Am contemplating to whether I should buy it. I did some research online and found regular wear and tear parts of an E60 tend to be on the high side, but I suppose I'm willing to pay for that premium. I'm budgeting RM8K/year for maintenance since it is a weekend car (50KM per week, at most)

But I still have the following concerns and hope that gurus here can enlighten me.

1) the automatic gearbox of an E60 is prone to problems, but since I'm getting a manual I guess it should be easy to fix. However, given majority of E60s here are in automatic, it might be difficult to find someone who can fix it?

2) Active Steering and Dynamic Drive can be costly to repair. Any idea how much would they cost?

3) I haven't contact the owner so I have no idea what is the service records. What kind of information should I gather before I go down and test the car?

Thanks.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=731460

read this bro.....

a bonus if you can find a manual e60...there will be mechanics to fix manual boxes...

active steering faults are almost always due to the sensor in the steering wheel.some needs cleaning.some need replacements.

if this is your weekend car and you don't depend on it to drive you around for work and you have the moolahs...go for it

Gearbox halfcut about RM13k
Steereng Rack halfcut RM4k

All these prices are inclusive of labour and parts. I repaired these on my 525 M-Sport.

mohdridzuan77 said:
Gearbox halfcut about RM13k
Steereng Rack halfcut RM4k

All these prices are inclusive of labour and parts. I repaired these on my 525 M-Sport.
That is bloody expensive for a used half-cut gearbox for e60 or the half-cut include engine & gearbox?

Gearbox halfcut normally around RM 6K-7K
Steering rack should be around 2.5k-4K

i overhaul my gearbox cost me about 4k plus and steering rack is about 2400(trade in current one)

Top Bottom