Water ingression into F30 engine.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

baytorck

Club Guest
A friend of mine who drove 320i luxury edition F30 had stalled his engine whilst wading 4-5 inch water puddle near USJ 19. He tried to start back the engine with no avail. All other cars went past him without any problems. After towing to the service center (AB glenmarie) they found the water had already penetrated the engine block. Be mindful according to him he was riding the water slowly. Again this just a puddle not some flash flood. The water level was just above his ankle.AB told him it is not covered by warranty and the estimated repair cost is approximately 50-60k. Question:
  • Had anyone experienced this? I read the manual it's written water depth of 6 inch.
  • Can we claim the warranty sighting it was partly a design fault? Otherwise this F30 is so manja and not compatible with out tropical downpour climate.
  • If not would an additional coverage of flood on the car insurance would cover this?
Thanks and be careful F30 owners out there.

There was another similar story in the forums about a bro who encountered a puddle and stalled his car as well.

This will definitely not be covered by warranty as it is considered the owners risk ..

If you didnt get the flood coverage of the insurance, good luck :)

For me, its pretty simple, my car is lowered, if i see a puddle which looks abit dodgy, I turn the other way, or I just put on the hazard light and wait it out.

True story :
Heavy rain, driving towards the Tropicana Infamous Tunnel, it was flooded . I made a judgement call and siad to myself, not worth the risk.

Hazard lights came on, and I slowly reversed my car ..

Horns were blaring, proton, perodua, honda, toyota cars were racing through the tunnel with water flying everywhere.

Good for them, I still reversed my car :p

- - - Updated - - -

There was another similar story in the forums about a bro who encountered a puddle and stalled his car as well.

This will definitely not be covered by warranty as it is considered the owners risk ..

If you didnt get the flood coverage of the insurance, good luck :)

For me, its pretty simple, my car is lowered, if i see a puddle which looks abit dodgy, I turn the other way, or I just put on the hazard light and wait it out.

True story :
Heavy rain, driving towards the Tropicana Infamous Tunnel, it was flooded . I made a judgement call and siad to myself, not worth the risk.

Hazard lights came on, and I slowly reversed my car ..

Horns were blaring, proton, perodua, honda, toyota cars were racing through the tunnel with water flying everywhere.

Good for them, I still reversed my car :p

Scary...last week went to KL again. Heavy rain everyday & on my way to Sg Long, water puddle everywhere. Very tension while driving. Damn it. Next trip on Nov, will probably drive another car instead of F30.

Wah make me so worry. Should we buy the all risk insurance? Any idea how much is going to cost?

I believe that Quill has solved that bro's problem at no cost to him.

Thanks to the forum and I decided to pay RM1500 for flood coverage, peace of mind, and rempit in the rain without worrying this or that.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks to the forum and I decided to pay RM1500 for flood coverage, peace of mind, and rempit in the rain without worrying this or that.

- - - Updated - - -

It is RM1450 or RM1500 for my car, I think it is RM1200 for 320i/d.

- - - Updated - - -

It is RM1450 or RM1500 for my car, I think it is RM1200 for 320i/d.

Hi all

I paid RM1549 as special perils for my 328i M Sport. I read about this issue in this forum prior to buying the car and decided i should get this flood insurance just in case. Thanks to those who shared this matter.

This problem was also happened on F10. Seems that BMW is not designed for tropical countries with heavy downpour.
So, how the water was increased into the engine ? Through the exhaust ? No other prevention ? What about quickly gust through ?

- - - Updated - - -

This problem was also happened on F10. Seems that BMW is not designed for tropical countries with heavy downpour.
So, how the water was increased into the engine ? Through the exhaust ? No other prevention ? What about quickly gust through ?

sh_Callum

This afternoon it was raining moderately near Shah Alam/SJ area and i had to go through some running water. After reading the experience by others in this forum, i was scared a little bit but had no choice but to go through. Luckily nothing happen. I suspect our air intake could be set too low hence sucking water causing engine problem. Hope BMW do something about this

- - - Updated - - -

sh_Callum

This afternoon it was raining moderately near Shah Alam/SJ area and i had to go through some running water. After reading the experience by others in this forum, i was scared a little bit but had no choice but to go through. Luckily nothing happen. I suspect our air intake could be set too low hence sucking water causing engine problem. Hope BMW do something about this

Must wondering whether we should switch off the air cond? Dash through quickly ? Works ? Really need some expert here.

sh_Callum;850747 said:
Must wondering whether we should switch off the air cond? Dash through quickly ? Works ? Really need some expert here.

You try it out and let us know.

Scary.
I just check the car, looks like the air is taken from opening near the grille, that is about knee height. How come water puddle can enter via that opening or is there any other opening that could allow water to be sucked in?

- - - Updated - - -

Scary.
I just check the car, looks like the air is taken from opening near the grille, that is about knee height. How come water puddle can enter via that opening or is there any other opening that could allow water to be sucked in?

Ajoi;850779 said:
Scary.

- - - Updated - - -

Scary.

Your car is moving, the water is moving and other cars are moving, so water gets splash around higher than knee height and goes into the air intake. Simple as that.

siuloong85;850590 said:
My friend bought the car with Auto Bavaria. So probably different guy in this case.
I just heard from another friend, his friend's X1 also had the same problem. I think it is due to turbo engine which has stronger air suction compared to normal aspirated. Has any one claimed from this flood coverage. I am a bit sceptical that when the time comes to claim the adjuster will claim puddle on the road is not 'flood'. In that sense anybody knows the definition of a 'flood' coverage legally.

If you are standing in front of the F30 and facing the open hood, the F30 air in take is located on back right side ie quite near the joint of the bottom of the windshield (not any where near the grill). Pls correct me if am wrong.

Am not sure how sufficient water can get in to choke the car as there's an air filter for the water to get through n it's not easy to get that far.

Heard of water puddles messing with the car but thats probably due to poor or insufficient water proofing n the high electronics set up of the F30.

- - - Updated - - -

If you are standing in front of the F30 and facing the open hood, the F30 air in take is located on back right side ie quite near the joint of the bottom of the windshield (not any where near the grill). Pls correct me if am wrong.

Am not sure how sufficient water can get in to choke the car as there's an air filter for the water to get through n it's not easy to get that far.

Heard of water puddles messing with the car but thats probably due to poor or insufficient water proofing n the high electronics set up of the F30.

The wake created by the surrounding car can be half to 1 foot higher... Also the forward motion of your own car also will cause the water to goes up when the front pushed against the water... The faster the car moves forward, the higher the wake.

The air intake is made to locate lower to scoop up cooler air closer to the ground... As for flood, that's nothing to do with being tropical, it's bad development... Malaysia is a 3rd world country in disguise... :p

what could be the exact cause of an f30 failing due to puddle of water ?.... My old junkie e36 goes through all sort of puddles also never ever fails ...

next time will keep a look out for those double signals f30 during rainy days :)

AT-Sixx;850824 said:

That should be the cabin air intake. At least for E46.

- - - Updated - - -

AT-Sixx;850824 said:

That should be the cabin air intake. At least for E46.

Called my adjuster friend, apparently flood coverage covers 2 situations:
1. Flash flood on a parked car. (home, parkinglot, any where that is suitable to park the car)
2. Driving on a certified fit tarmac road (not off road, unopened new road, or road that is closed by the authority.) then suddenly cought with water. (puddle or gushing water)
Getting my flood coverage asap.

- - - Updated - - -

Called my adjuster friend, apparently flood coverage covers 2 situations:
1. Flash flood on a parked car. (home, parkinglot, any where that is suitable to park the car)
2. Driving on a certified fit tarmac road (not off road, unopened new road, or road that is closed by the authority.) then suddenly cought with water. (puddle or gushing water)
Getting my flood coverage asap.

Yesterday it was raining quite heavily all the way from Teluk Intan to KL. Went through patches of stagnant water as well as running water about 2 inches high without any problem. Tried my best to avoid those deep running water based on water splash from drivers in front of me.

Top Bottom