Voltage stabilizer

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Jimi

Club Guest
hi!! (in respect of 3 series e46) do we need to install voltage stabilizer???cos i have one extra (PIVOT) BRAND.I KNOW MY CITY BENEFITS FROM IT BUT BMW???thanks!!!:) :rolleyes:

Hmmm, here we go again... :rolleyes: :D

sesat88, where's that wonderful story of yours... written on 1 April me thinks?

Okay, Jimi, on a more serious note, search these forums a bit, there had been some discussions on the benefits of fitting voltage stabilizers...

Jimi;220556 said:
hi!!

(in respect of 3 series e46) do we need to install voltage stabilizer???

cos i have one extra (PIVOT) BRAND.

I KNOW MY CITY BENEFITS FROM IT BUT BMW???

thanks!!!:) :rolleyes:

if got extra, just put loh.
if dunwan, can give me
.......:D

(now where i put that lil ol' yellow box thingy?!!! :rolleyes: )

Voltage stabilizer "seem" to work on older car rather than newer car.

I doubt there would be any significant improvement on an E46.

I have asked a workshop in Penang that has a Dynometer which also sells these VS. He said at best you'll gain 1bhp while none most of the time.
I am not sure if it really helps in getting better SQ from ICE.

Jimi;220556 said:
hi!!

(in respect of 3 series e46) do we need to install voltage stabilizer???

cos i have one extra (PIVOT) BRAND.

I KNOW MY CITY BENEFITS FROM IT BUT BMW???

thanks!!!:) :rolleyes:

It's the best thing you could ever install into your BMW. But you will need a few (at least 3) and installed at ever corner in your car. :rolleyes:

Honestly bro, sell it back to the guy who sold it to you.

Ah so!
can it be fitted on e36 and give satisfactory benefits?
if can then you got one buya here.
tell, tell, pretell la......

well, depends on what your expectations are for that amount of money you have to spend.

More effect if you just take your spare tire out.

I think if you're looking for increase in HP, then Voltage stabilizers are not the answer. but if your looking for stable power output and clean ground, then that is your answer, increased power is just an side effect and not the main reason for the device. Basically the device ensures that you get a stable power supply that doesn't fluctuate when there is a power drain from your ICE. Also installed with it should be a good set of Grounding Cables, This is to ensure clean Ground and direct distribution to the electronic parts in your car.

Oy Jimi,
if you wanna sell your xtra unit of pivot,
just pm me, ok?
i wanna try it out on my e36 for
better voltage stability, thx

guys... voltage stabiliser is NOT a thingy to stabiliser voltage ler. The thingy to stabilise voltage is a voltage regulator... and that can be found in your alternator.
In saying, in order to produce a correct voltage, ampere, watt ... watever your alternator must be in good condition. There are carbon bushing which tear and wear off over the years hence resulting in low yield and instability.

Furthermore, your grounding cable must also be in good condition. After year of heat, grim, dust, salt, rust mouse, rat... etc. conditioning, it is a good idea to check on those. Alternatively, you can buy those aftermarket ones but in my humble opinion, it makes your engine looks like a broken down old spidey web with wires running along everywhere. Go get one of those thick welding cables and sub. it with your main ground cable below the engine, and u will find some effect to your car.

The blue box thing does do something to the electricity that is passing in your car. Some people say, better FC, engine smoother, gear shift nicer, brighter headlights, electrifying back seat experience etc etc. especially in older car. Maybe it does perhaps some truth to it as it last for a few weeks and then that's it. (I tihnk that the same principle that goes to all petrolheads. HHAAHAHAH.. yeah... i for I too.) Psychologically effect, maybe? Well that's x-files.

For me, I still have it in my battery tray as it looks nice with a bluish glow whenever I open my booth. And chicks goes, "Ooooo... bimmer so canggeh one!" Not bad for a Rm150+ decorative item + chicku magnet + conversation starter. :D

Sesat, Have to half agree with you. It's true that the voltage regulator gives to stable voltage. however at times if you are loading the power system, the battery cannot give you enough power. The Voltage stabilizers have capacitors in them which stores power. these Capacitors provide power to the car electrical system. this helps in one way is that the drain from your battery is constant. i may be wrong it could be amps that is being drained, but hey I'm no grey matter. But in principal that is how it works.

To explain it simpler, imagine a main water supply if you take water directly to only wash your dishes it is enough. But when you want to use it for your shower etc, the pressure drops, because of the additional utilities. when you place a pump you pull more water as a result, other utillities will suffer. But if you place a tank in between, then you get a constant flow rate, that also depends if your pipes are in parallel or in series. Your power ssytem works about the same way. Your Water Tank is the capacitor in this scenario.

Again this is just my opinion and not scientifically proven.

cheers

rubes72;225410 said:
Sesat, Have to half agree with you. It's true that the voltage regulator gives to stable voltage. however at times if you are loading the power system, the battery cannot give you enough power. The Voltage stabilizers have capacitors in them which stores power. these Capacitors provide power to the car electrical system. this helps in one way is that the drain from your battery is constant. i may be wrong it could be amps that is being drained, but hey I'm no grey matter. But in principal that is how it works.

To explain it simpler, imagine a main water supply if you take water directly to only wash your dishes it is enough. But when you want to use it for your shower etc, the pressure drops, because of the additional utilities. when you place a pump you pull more water as a result, other utillities will suffer. But if you place a tank in between, then you get a constant flow rate, that also depends if your pipes are in parallel or in series. Your power ssytem works about the same way. Your Water Tank is the capacitor in this scenario.

Again this is just my opinion and not scientifically proven.

cheers

Nice analogy but a bit flaw. yes the tank (voltage stabiliser) help to give a constant flow. but the design of the main water supply of bmw is already designed to cater for all utillities. i.e. wash dish, take shower, wash car etc. and at the same time fill the tank (which by the way is the battery). If the alternator supply is not enough, then the battery would remain uncharged. So in the case of where you install a water tank (VS), it will never be always full due to the lack of water supply if the piping is partially blocked. Hence, constant flow is never quite achieved. The problem with most older car is due to scaling inside the piping. This scaling restict the flow of water.

In the case of electricty, older cars tends to have rust or oxidation form on the earth and positive terminals. This cause the flow of current to be restricted. As most of the guys here fixed the VS with new earth wire, you are actually infact putting new piping to allow the flow.

VS are a series of capacitors wired in parallel to smoothen the effect of spikes that is generated by the alternator. It help sometimes but a more cost effective ways to restore the full power is to clean the oxididised or rust area of the earth terminal. Apply with copper grease on the cleaned area to prevent oxidation.

Right on Jarance. wouldn't want to argue with the sifu nowwould we. But spot on

I've just install VS to my 2000 E46, amazing.....my remote control(kaput) back to normal again. Engine also more smother, gear change and performance better.

Top Bottom