Vibration @ 90kph

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

chrischy

Club Guest
My E34 just recently been experiencing vibration from the front wheel only @ 90-95kph. Checked the balancing on wheel and off wheel but it is still vibrating. It happens each time when I reach 90+kph and each time when I brake.Can anyone help in perhaps pointing me to a possible cause for this irritating behaviour. I have also balance the longshaft numerous times, to the point of perfecting it already, so my mechanic says it is not the longshaft, otherwise my whole car will vibrate.So in this case it is the front wheel portion. Can feel my steering wheel vibrate too.Thanks. :dunno:

Originally posted by feisaldzul@May 24 2005, 04:33 AM
brake disk ader warped or not?
Happen to one of my cars too but after change the brake disc the problem solved.

Yes, check brakes and skimming them can help.....also check steering ball joints for wear.

hmmm..... thanks, will take it for a look at those areas suggested.

I experience it when I reach 90kph with or without braking, but when apply the brakes it shuddered more violently.

thanks guys... will update you guys on the diagnosis.

"weak" bush sometimes pysically look ok but good mechanic know how to check without take apart.Good Luck

I had the same problem. When the car reaches 90KPH, the steering will vibrate. Changed the upper arm and bush. Problem solved.

Then I upgraded to 17" and lowered the car and the problem came back a little. So this time round it could be my tires.

Ur rim is ori or replica? If replica......u can do the balancing on the wheel n add on centre ring ...... My problem solved after did it....

Had the similar problem. Touch 85kmh, and the whole car shakes violently. Replaced every damn bush, brake rotors, rims, tyres and problem still there. Finally, replaced the prop. shaft bearing. Walla!!!! smooth like a babe's butt.

Yeah.....KIMI was also having the same problem yesterday before his suspension exploded in his face.....poor fella! ( in reference to F1 race at European GP )

Honestly - I will iron out all vibration issues in your drive trains and this includes your front suspension/wheel/brakes......if left unchecked for long - there will be more damages and a spectacular failure is always round the corner!

Dun skim on safety!!!

yeah man.....poor kimi:)D)

mine was cleared after changing the bushes.....now its back after lowering the car!....damn!!!

Originally posted by chrischy@May 24 2005, 05:23 PM
My E34 just recently been experiencing vibration from the front wheel only @ 90-95kph. Checked the balancing on wheel and off wheel but it is still vibrating. It happens each time when I reach 90+kph and each time when I brake.

Can anyone help in perhaps pointing me to a possible cause for this irritating behaviour.

I have also balance the longshaft numerous times, to the point of perfecting it already, so my mechanic says it is not the longshaft, otherwise my whole car will vibrate.

So in this case it is the front wheel portion. Can feel my steering wheel vibrate too.

Thanks. :dunno:
Bro,
Instead of doing a normal balancing, you may wish to do a high-speed balancing instead. I also previously encountered this problem and it was OK after doing a high speed balancing.

It was kinda weird cos' at time when I go to 90 to 95 km/h, the steering and front of the car vibrates. Sometimes it doesn't, or sometimes when I get to 100 to 120km/h, it stops vibrating! :blink:

Also, do you have any uneven wear on your tyres from hard cornering? That might be a factor as well.

Originally posted by ALBundy@May 31 2005, 09:49 AM
Ron, care to elaborate this high speed balancing thingy??

Thanks
Hi Al,

The high-speed balancing is almost the same as normal balancing but is slightly different from the normal balancing as in they use this machine that runs the tyres at high speeds to provide more accurate balancing.
Thus, it minimises the possibility of uneccessary vibrations.

Originally posted by chrischy@May 25 2005, 11:42 AM
hmmm..... thanks, will take it for a look at those areas suggested.

I experience it when I reach 90kph with or without braking, but when apply the brakes it shuddered more violently.

thanks guys... will update you guys on the diagnosis.
Bro,
Two other things you can check on:
(1) Your wheel bearings.
(2) Whether you have a centre ring/spacer when you placed your rims in. If there isn't, high chance of vibration.

These are other things that can possibly cause vibrations.

Mine cleared after changed the disc and pads....no more juddering at 100km/h :)

Originally posted by CAJ19@May 30 2005, 11:16 AM
Had the similar problem. Touch 85kmh, and the whole car shakes violently. Replaced every damn bush, brake rotors, rims, tyres and problem still there. Finally, replaced the prop. shaft bearing. Walla!!!! smooth like a babe's butt.
where is the propeller shaft bearing? care to point out? do yo9u mena the center shaft?

Top Bottom