UK and JPN GearBox? Any Diff ?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

mwtang

Club Guest
is it true gearbox for japan spec and uk spec different for 3 and 5 series ?i was told that the ECU and Gear box is diff for JPN Specs..Top end on jpn spec same and uk spec bmw?anyone can help please?

Was told by M1 Kayu Ara that Jap-spec BMW gearbox is better but normal BMW diagnostic equipment cannot gain access to it.

wglee said:
Was told by M1 Kayu Ara that Jap-spec BMW gearbox is better but normal BMW diagnostic equipment cannot gain access to it.

Better in terms of what?

aramis said:
Better in terms of what?

Better in terms of reliability, so it was said. I even heard that the Jap-spec BMWs' gearbox came from a different supplier (ie. not ZF).

My E36 is a Japanese import, it has the Jatco gearbox, and is paired with a 4.xx differential. I don't think the ZF/Getrag/GM gearboxes come with differentials which have that high a ratio. Although I'm on 160,000km now, I don't like the Jatco gearbox as it is harder to find information about it, and even the transmission gasket has to be ordered in.

Victor320 said:
My E36 is a Japanese import, it has the Jatco gearbox, and is paired with a 4.xx differential. I don't think the ZF/Getrag/GM gearboxes come with differentials which have that high a ratio. Although I'm on 160,000km now, I don't like the Jatco gearbox as it is harder to find information about it, and even the transmission gasket has to be ordered in.
Its true..its true. cant even find a repair kit for the Jatco g/box here.

Yeah, I managed to get Bavarian Auto to import the gasket for me, but that's about it - it even says you can't use any normal transmission fluid... need Idemitsu ATF D3, which I would have thought normal Dexron-III would be ok - but apparently it may not be the same. I haven't plucked up the courage to try it yet.

Victor320 said:
Yeah, I managed to get Bavarian Auto to import the gasket for me, but that's about it - it even says you can't use any normal transmission fluid... need Idemitsu ATF D3, which I would have thought normal Dexron-III would be ok - but apparently it may not be the same. I haven't plucked up the courage to try it yet.

Food for thought for those thinking of buying Jap-spec BMWs, and for those who already own one (or more).

I believe the newer series are all using ZF transmission.

The Japan spec e36 and e34 are all using Jatco transmission, not necessarily a bad thing since its a 5 speed tranny compared to the locally assembled units. The 4.10 or 4.45 rear diff ratio is not a problem since the fifth gear transmission ratio is only 0.7, so final ratio is actually around 2.8 to 3.115.

And if you know where to source used Jatco trannies, they can be available for less than RM 1k, cheaper than a ZF rebuilt and thats what most owner of Jap spec cars do.

Victor320 said:

Victor320, how long is the order time? And what's the price?

I thought Jatco takes BMW gear oil. Where to read more about the right oil to use?

viewfinder, it was quite awhile ago so I can't recall exactly - but the order time wasn't too long, maybe about a month. Price was RM170 or Rm200+, can't recall correctly. You can get the oil details from the BMW Service CDs, or if you go to the dealer (or probably even Bavarian Auto) they can pull the info up. It'll say it needs "Appolloil-ATF D-3" then later on it will mention "Idemitsu", that's the company that manufactures the lubricants.

My transmission is the A5S 300J one, as mentioned above, it's the 5-speed with the 4.10 differential.

Here's what the TIS will say if you get the dealer to pull the info for you:

Only the automatic transmission fluid named below can be used for the A5S 300J Transmission.

This automatic transmission fluid can be ordered only from BMW Japan or BMW South Africa.

This automatic transmission fluid must not be mixed with other automatic transmission fluids.

Tradename: Apolloil-ATF D-3
Manufacturer/Supplier: IDEMITSU

Pls help me in the understanding of E36 gearboxes... During my search for my E36, test drive a few... some with 4 speed and some with 5 speed. Only found the 5 speed in the 1992 model as 1994 and above are mainly 4 speed..

Pls advice

Mine's a 1992 320i (production date August 1991) and it has the Jatco gearbox (5-speed, code is A5S300J). AFAIK, 5-speed and 4-speed wasn't produced in certain years, all of the post-94 E36s I have come across are 5 speed.

Which models did you drive? Maybe E36 318 came with 4 speeds. Someone else will know :)

Hi! guys, I have just joined the forum after founding out that the club has more helpful information then the others.
I have bmw 1995 525i E34 with the Japanese tranny (jatco A5S300J) and have been trying to get information about the transmission ATF change.
As you all know that the tranny is a rare one and has all the plugs on the pan making it very had to re-fill it.
I would think DIII would be a good choice for the tranny, but I still need help on the following areas:-
-- How many Litres does the tranny makes. (some say 8L, but I saw 4L on the following Japanese site: http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...=1&hl=en

-- When I drained the tranny, only about 3 or 4Litres came out. Is this correct or there is something that I am wrong

-- How do you re-fill the transmission with the fill hole on facing downwards. Please take me through the whole ATF change procedure from start to end.

-- And how do I check if the transmission is full with 8Litres

guys i've been wanting to change my atf on my 1994 E36 325i Japan Version. My tranny is also a Jatco. so hard to decide on what oil i can use.

Top Bottom