Tyres Splitting!!!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Ade

Club Guest
Burnt a hole in my pocket today as all 4 of my tyres inner sidewalls (facing the inside of the car) were splitting...how the hell that happened? I don't track my car and its mostly a weekend car. I'm running on 225/40R18 and tyre pressure is around 33 to 34psi all round. Tyres were bought Nov 09 and manufactured 2509. Mileage clocked is only a mere 18K KM. Tyres were Federal 595 EVO rated 92Y and XL too!I was about to have a family trip to KL but luckily discovered this before anything happened...\edit: added pictures

If they all split similarly (ie. inner sidewalls) it could be a manufacturing defect. Maybe get more reputable brands (eg. Michelin, Bridgestone, Dunlop) next time?

Ade, is that what u meant?

12032010006-1.jpg

That was what i had before. They are local made Silverstone. Only discovered the problem after using for 35K km. I drove to tire shop and the boss said not need to change one..lol..I only replaced them after 2k km.

its on the inside of the car...if i wanna cut...why not just cut outside..hmm..

It's looks like a cut.. especially on the 2nd picture. But if the perpetrator wants you not to notice the cut.. he would have cut inside. Nevertheless, thank god you find out before anything bad happens.

Tires look like they delaminated due to excess heat caused by too much camber. The insides of the tire flexes more causing more heat. Same issue with my previous Pirellis. No good. Have no issue with my current CSC3. :)

seems like a couple of fellas told me its a cut...but my car is always at home and there are minor cuts all around the tyres.

Ade;635588 said:
Burnt a hole in my pocket today as all 4 of my tyres inner sidewalls (facing the inside of the car) were splitting...how the hell that happened? I don't track my car and its mostly a weekend car. I'm running on 225/40R18 and tyre pressure is around 33 to 34psi all round. Tyres were bought Nov 09 and manufactured 2509. Mileage clocked is only a mere 18K KM. Tyres were Federal 595 EVO rated 92Y and XL too!

I was about to have a family trip to KL but luckily discovered this before anything happened...\

edit: added pictures

Bro, i'm not the expert to comment on the tyre but experience on the china made tyre performance. The are different brand with a same manufacturer. If they sell for that low price, what do you think about the quality? I first try on the china made tyre in my entire life after driving more than 15 years & decided to replace back with more reliable brand within 2 months...Sometime it save you on the tyre price but may end out more losses in other way. I experince spin & bad grip (~2sec longer from 70km/hr to idle) in the wet surface with those china made tyre. If the tyre split or burst during high speed, you should know the consequences...

Bros,

Had similar problem with my Michelin PS2 3 years ago. Same clean cut on the inner side. Went back to the shop and shop owner said he is getting similar problems with other users, especially Michelin tyres coming from Thailand. I think its a QA/QC issue. I changed to CSC3, no complains so far :)

BMWDemon;636211 said:
Bros,

Had similar problem with my Michelin PS2 3 years ago. Same clean cut on the inner side. Went back to the shop and shop owner said he is getting similar problems with other users, especially Michelin tyres coming from Thailand. I think its a QA/QC issue. I changed to CSC3, no complains so far :)

OMG, i'm using PS2 now. Not sure where is from but they told me from Japan?...Hope i doesn't have this problem...

BMWDemon;636211 said:
Bros,

I'm now on Sport MAXX TT...made in japan...so far so good...cross my fingers but to be sure check them out every week as routine...damn tyre manufacturers!

i had a made in indonesia "achilles" tyre before and it had cracks on the inner sidewall on 3 of the 4 tyres sized 235/45/17.never again.i only trust branded made in japan tyres now ie dunlop,goodyear etc

Top Bottom