Tyre split - Pinched?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

MSport

Club Guest
Dear all,Found a split on my sidewall of my tyre which is no direct fault of mine. I didn't kerb the tyre nor did any stunts. Picture tells it better. BTW, it's a PS2 RFT 255/35/18Zoom in a bitI tried to claim this from Michelin. They came and saw and did their CSI. After 30 minutes, they said the tyre was "pinched" and thus no warranty can be claimed as it is deemed user's fault. BTW, the tyre was purchased less than 6 months and only done

Why was it diagnosed as a 'pinch'? Not sure about the terminology being used by the tyre experts here. Judging from the pics, looks as though someone deliberately cut it?

No sabotage markings at all.

According to the "experts", the tyre was stressed by going on a bump at high speed. This caused the tyre to fold against the wheel protector (on RFTs) and split. This act "saved" the rim but caused the tyre to split.

Would you believe this story? I didn't.. :motz:

It really looks like a "pinch". A "pinch" is a cut on the tyre between the rim and the road hazard, usually on an underinflated tyre.Manufacturer defect normally involving internal damage like peelings or pregnants.

Can also due to improper tyre fitting by the tyre shop [cut is on outer surface]. Not easy to force an 18" RFT PS2 into a rim. Need to use excessive force and proper equipment.

MSport;556029 said:
No sabotage markings at all.

According to the "experts", the tyre was stressed by going on a bump at high speed. This caused the tyre to fold against the wheel protector (on RFTs) and split. This act "saved" the rim but caused the tyre to split.

Would you believe this story? I didn't.. :motz:

Amazing, if run flats can suffer from these type of faults when going thru bumps, then what bout the normal tyres shod on our cars? Seems like defeating the purpose of having RFTs in the first place.

astroboy;556035 said:
It really looks like a "pinch". A "pinch" is a cut on the tyre between the rim and the road hazard, usually on an underinflated tyre.Manufacturer defect normally involving internal damage like peelings or pregnants.

Can also due to improper tyre fitting by the tyre shop [cut is on outer surface]. Not easy to force an 18" RFT PS2 into a rim. Need to use excessive force and proper equipment.

Thanks for the clarification Astro. :top:

if i was you, i would have made more noise.. buy new, still under warranty and can't even claim it ?

we as consumers rights here are not protected..

Top Bottom