Tyre balancing issue

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

GMENG

Club Guest
I've been going to Pirelli's Agent workshop at Glenmarie for some time but lately I noticed their on-wheel balancing was always out. Everytime after the alignment and balancing (incl on-wheel balancing) were done, I still experienced vibration at steering wheel and the seat at abt 2700-2800rpm (120-130 kmh). At higher speed they were gone.when I was using Continental tyres I have the same issue. After changing to Pirelli's tyres experiencing the same issue but lesser vibrations but they are still there.Can somebody help this out? Could it be the active steering issue or pure inefficient service provided? By the way I'm driving E60.Would appreciate if somebody could suggest a good workshop to go to. I heard Sunny at SS2 was good. Have tried calling him but nobody picked up.

Hi Dzul, I'm using standard wheels (original from Auto Bavaria since I bought it new in 2006). Not sure how to describe the vibration but you could feel it at your seat, not very violently, but a little shaking. Enough to make you feel uncomfortable. Any idea how to solve this?

Hi Iylia H, how do we know the axle shaft is bent? I mean, the mechanic/tyre guy who fixed up my tyre should have noticed right? But don't get me wrong ya, it's only vibration and NOT shaking and it only happens when the rpm hits abt 2700-2800 (cruising speed). Before and after that, you can't feel the vibration. it sort of went off.

GMENG;626851 said:
Hi Dzul, I'm using standard wheels (original from Auto Bavaria since I bought it new in 2006). Not sure how to describe the vibration but you could feel it at your seat, not very violently, but a little shaking. Enough to make you feel uncomfortable. Any idea how to solve this?

vibration of the steering wheel at that specific speed can only be one thing bro, your tyres are not properly balance .... if you are here in Kuantan, I can direct you to a few shops that are good in doing it. In KL, I need to check with my big bro. Once I had my tyre done in Old Klang road and it was a job well done. However I cannot remember the exact location. I will revert soonest I get the info ...:top:

GMENG;626859 said:
Hi Iylia H, how do we know the axle shaft is bent? I mean, the mechanic/tyre guy who fixed up my tyre should have noticed right? But don't get me wrong ya, it's only vibration and NOT shaking and it only happens when the rpm hits abt 2700-2800 (cruising speed). Before and after that, you can't feel the vibration. it sort of went off.

In my case, in a perdana v6. It too happen at a certain speed, and then it went off... But it came with a bad shake... since you clarified that you car only suffers vibration (assuming that it is not as bad as shaking may be), thus bent axle shaft is no longer relevant.

What could be relevant here is, like what dzul highlighted. And it could also be bald tire (experienced the same symptom before) and it could also be uneven tire wear (never experienced this before, it was from what I read somewhere).

cant be old or uneven tyres as I just changed to new Pirelli tyres. Before that, the conti tyres also gave me the same prob. That Pirelli tyre shop at Glenmarie told me the conti tyres got mfg defect (unbalanced) and therefore they can't solve it. They managed to convince me to change to theirs. But now after changing the tyres to theirs, have the same problem albeit, a reduced one (smaller vibration). Clocked abt 10,000 km only on the new tyres. Just did the second alignment and on-wheel balancing. Didn't really solve the problem. Getting tired of these guys..

bro,go and do a rebalance at another shop.kalau boleh find a newly opened one where they have a new machine.our bolehland balancing machine rarely gets calibrated and these machines will go out of whack in time.tell them to do OFF WHEEL balancing for all 4 tyres,especially for the rear ones,never have them balanced ON WHEEL as it will mess up the drive train.....gud luck

GMENG;626876 said:
cant be old or uneven tyres as I just changed to new Pirelli tyres. Before that, the conti tyres also gave me the same prob. That Pirelli tyre shop at Glenmarie told me the conti tyres got mfg defect (unbalanced) and therefore they can't solve it. They managed to convince me to change to theirs. But now after changing the tyres to theirs, have the same problem albeit, a reduced one (smaller vibration). Clocked abt 10,000 km only on the new tyres. Just did the second alignment and on-wheel balancing. Didn't really solve the problem. Getting tired of these guys..

:listen: ...bro, if its a mfg defect, get it change for free....:top: almost all reputable tyre manufacturer comes with such warranty .... uneven surface is a definite "mfg defect" no two way abt it. Hv it replaced for free..... if tht bugger dont want to honour it...go to kementerian perdagangan and make a 5 minute report...:biggrin:

Hi Abuhasan, where's autopex, KL, PJ or SJ? Can give me his tel no? Thnx.

I tried google Autopex. there's one in SS25 but they are 2nd hand car dealer..

Hi moots, I did ask them to do off wheel balancing as well but to no avail. They only charged me more. I have the suspicion that they didn't calibrate their machine for long long time. I did ask that shop but the owner told me they did it every year or six months I think.. newly opened shop would be nice but u tahu mana tak...

Hi Dzul, it's a hassle la to do all these complaining la.. i already gave away my old tyres even tho they still have some more good threads on them.. haizzzzz...

GMENG;626889 said:
Hi Dzul, it's a hassle la to do all these complaining la.. i already gave away my old tyres even tho they still have some more good threads on them.. haizzzzz...

I understand your predicament bro. I used to think of the same also but when I did go to file a complain, it took me only 5 mins to fill up the form ...and the very next day, they took action on it and my problem was attended to almost immediately...:) ... as in my case, I got a whole new engine almost FOC... :biggrin:

bro gmeng,
autopex, located just ondeway to AB glenmarie.
if ur from interchanged Bt 3 to AutoBavaria, just on the right at the first traffic light.
u can see the two big tyre shops one of them Autopex CarCare Kelvin the boss & Asang the tyre mech.

OIC, Abuhasan, I saw that shop & they are very big with all the rims on the 1st flr. I remember trying to call them some time ago with regards to their sales on Shell Helix 0W40 but nobody picked up. I called them few days and still nobody seemed to be picking up. Ok. I'd try to drop by next Monday.. Thnx..

GMENG;627088 said:
OIC, Abuhasan, I saw that shop & they are very big with all the rims on the 1st flr. I remember trying to call them some time ago with regards to their sales on Shell Helix 0W40 but nobody picked up. I called them few days and still nobody seemed to be picking up. Ok. I'd try to drop by next Monday.. Thnx..

Autopex is behind that shop with the rims on the first floor (Topspeed). Asang does a good job. I like the way they do their work.

Thanks Deep for the confirmation. I'd definitely give them a try either tmr or Monday.

Top Bottom